Will the DVR keep working during a weather outage?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aquaman67

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Tennessee
As the title says, if you're already watching something on your DVR during a storm that would result in an outage, will it keep working or go out too?

I know once you have a weather outage, you can't access the DVR (why not, I don't know? Maybe they could fix this?)

It will keep playing. It must be on the internal HD to work. EHD will not work.

You can play off the internal drive without a dish installed also.

You can access the DVR when there is signal loss. Press Menu-9 (DISH on Demand)-1 (My Recordings) and you should be able to start a recording even after signal loss. Also, if you are receiving signal loss only on some channels, and/or have an OTA (built in tuner on some HD-DVRs or using the MT2 module), you can change to a channel with signal via sat or OTA tuners by pressing Menu-1 (Program Guide) and then choosing a station with signal. This only works when box is not booting. If its a 535 message (green bars message) you cannot do this workaround. If it is actual signal loss (015/002 messages) it will work just fine, so long as the new channels have signal when you switch.

You can access the DVR when there is signal loss. Press Menu-9 (DISH on Demand)-1 (My Recordings) and you should be able to start a recording even after signal loss.
Tony.. no offense.. but why the hell isn't that online somewhere? And why gods name wouldn't someone just add the ability to the DVR button that **EVERYONE** already knows how to use ... so that they don't have to bend over backwards, learn fifty different ways (yes an exaggeration) to do something as simple as play recorded content when the downlink is hosed??

Please submit a feature request that in **ALL** future versions of code for **EVERY** DVR that this be setup through the DVR button rather than alternates... the KISS principle should've been adheared too originally .. :(

No offense ever taken, and to answer why it isn't online somewhere I can honestly say "I dunno". It wasn't available until one of the more current software releases, and I assume when it was "added", the workaround steps were neglected as far as putting them online. I can make that feature request though. Honestly, my thinking is that this current workaround was just a transitional step to that end.

Around here, we've always known to just hit "Menu" then navigate to the DVR menu. :D It looks like it's changed a little to the steps Tony posted though...

To the OP and anyone else who comes across this, weather-related signal loss only affects "live" TV. Watching already recorded stuff is not affected at all.

Thanks Tony!

They say you learn something every day.

I did not know you could watch the DVR during a weather outage.

I do notice that it keeps trying to go to that signal loss screen. Yes, I realize there is a problem. It is raining 3 inches and hour or I just saw the ark float by.... But having the screen keep fighting me doesn't help... Put an OK button at the bottom that can cancel it out, or even better, put a selection on the dialog box that states "Watch Recorded Content". This will tend to placate many of the people who are holed up in their homes during a weather event and can't watch live TV otherwise. You could also push them to the content that you deliver over IP.....

Just a humble suggestion....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts