Will the new HD sat simulcast from the old HD sat?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ravensfan1996

Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I recently ordered Directv to find out that the woods behind my house blocked the current HD sat(119). The installer sd call back when the new hd sat goes active and ill be able to get it then since it sits higher in the sky. (i canceled my order since i didnt want just reg directv, i need my HD!)

My question is does anyone on here know if the new HD sat will broadcast just the new channels? or will it also recipricate whats on the 119 sat? (ie my local hd channels)

The installer sd the min elevation he could get to the current HD sat (119) was 30deg, and the 119 sits about at 27 degs. I can get regular directv 101 and 110 sats since they sit at 38degs and 33degs.

p.s. so no one asks, its not just a few trees, its deep woods. so cutting them isnt an option.

thanks for any info!

I am wondering this as well as I can't get the 119 sat either - but luckily for me my locals are on a different sat - so only espn2 and hd net is affected. I have been told that "maybe" they will move espn2 and hd net to the new sat.

can anyone confirm this?

I am wondering this as well as I can't get the 119 sat either - but luckily for me my locals are on a different sat - so only espn2 and hd net is affected. I have been told that "maybe" they will move espn2 and hd net to the new sat.

can anyone confirm this?

I'm certainly not an expert or an insider, so take it for what it's worth, but I was under the impression that all of the existing National HD channels would be converted from MPEG2 to MPEG4 with the activation of the new satellite(s). I assume that means they're also moving to the new satellites, but I don't really know how that stuff works.

As far as local HD, since it's already in MPEG4, I don't see why they would have a need to move them...

Sorry - guess that's not really what you'd call a "confirmation." You'll have to forgive me, I'm still new at this message board thing...

This is my understanding of how it's going to work:

We'll use HBO-HD as an example.

Currently, you can find HBO HD at channel "70" as well as channel "509". This is the exact same channel simply mapped to two numbers. This is the old MPEG2 feed of HBO-HD.

Currently, you find HBO-SD at channel "501".

When they turn the new channels on, you'll find that you have TWO channels "501" in your guide (if you're using a custom favorites you may have to edit the custom favorites list to add it). This will be the MPEG4 feed of HBO-HD.

This is exactly how HD locals work now. For example, I have two channels "8" in my guide. The one appearing first is my local FOX affiliate in MPEG4 HD, the second is the SD version of my local FOX affiliate.

So, after the switch, the first 501 in your guide will be the MPEG4 HBO-HD, and the second 501 will be the SD version.

For some time, while they get all the legacy MPEG2-only HD receivers swapped out, channels 70 and 509 will continue to be MPEG2 HBO-HD. The MPEG2 versions of the HD channels they already have will remain up for awhile. Maybe a year-ish, give or take. Depends on how long it takes to swap out all the old receivers.

When they do shut off the MPEG2 versions, I'm guessing that, continuing our example of HBO, channels 70, and 509 will become mappings to the MPEG4 version of HBO, just to avoid confusing viewers who had gotten used to those channel numbers.

The satellite positions such as 119 or 99 degrees are a non concern. Where your dish points is and is not the same as above. If you go to the setup screen, that azmuth and elevation is what you should be concerned with. Is that clear? Can you cut trees?

This is my understanding of how it's going to work:

We'll use HBO-HD as an example.

Currently, you can find HBO HD at channel "70" as well as channel "509". This is the exact same channel simply mapped to two numbers. This is the old MPEG2 feed of HBO-HD.

Currently, you find HBO-SD at channel "501".

When they turn the new channels on, you'll find that you have TWO channels "501" in your guide (if you're using a custom favorites you may have to edit the custom favorites list to add it). This will be the MPEG4 feed of HBO-HD.

This is exactly how HD locals work now. For example, I have two channels "8" in my guide. The one appearing first is my local FOX affiliate in MPEG4 HD, the second is the SD version of my local FOX affiliate.

So, after the switch, the first 501 in your guide will be the MPEG4 HBO-HD, and the second 501 will be the SD version.

For some time, while they get all the legacy MPEG2-only HD receivers swapped out, channels 70 and 509 will continue to be MPEG2 HBO-HD. The MPEG2 versions of the HD channels they already have will remain up for awhile. Maybe a year-ish, give or take. Depends on how long it takes to swap out all the old receivers.

When they do shut off the MPEG2 versions, I'm guessing that, continuing our example of HBO, channels 70, and 509 will become mappings to the MPEG4 version of HBO, just to avoid confusing viewers who had gotten used to those channel numbers.
Why not just wait. Bet you have a headache What iffing.

I'm certainly not an expert or an insider, so take it for what it's worth, but I was under the impression that all of the existing National HD channels would be converted from MPEG2 to MPEG4 with the activation of the new satellite(s). I assume that means they're also moving to the new satellites, but I don't really know how that stuff works.

As far as local HD, since it's already in MPEG4, I don't see why they would have a need to move them...
It is best that you don't. The experts and pros at D* do.:upHa

Why not just wait. Bet you have a headache What iffing.

????

I was just attempting to answer the OP's question.

And there was not a single bit of "what iffing" in my answer. It was a "this is my understanding of how it works" answer. No "what if's" anywhere in there.

I really don't care how they handle the changeover, I was simply reporting what I'd heard and throwing in a tiny bit of speculation.

What, exactly crawled into your drawers this morning?

The satellite positions such as 119 or 99 degrees are a non concern. Where your dish points is and is not the same as above. If you go to the setup screen, that azmuth and elevation is what you should be concerned with. Is that clear? Can you cut trees?

Why do you say 119 or 99 are of no concern? If they weren't why do they have LNB's for this on the installs?

The postition of the satellites is yes a non concern. But the elevation of the satelites is the major concern. Trees cannot be cut. its not one tree...its a forest. My house sits on the edge of the woods. clear as can be to the north but the woods behind me are to the south and the house sits close to the trees. thus i need to put the dish on the north end of the house at the highest point and get it over the trees. The installer sd the top of the trees was about 30degs, so the hd sat at 26-27 degs wouldnt work. The other sats sit much higher at 33-38degs.

thanks for the info so far, seems like when will the new hd become active, noone really knows.

it would be nice for me if they put all the hd content on one hd sat, can the old hd sat broadcast in mpg4?

just wondering if the installer knew something or just gave me the run around about calling back when the new HD sat goes active cux then id be able to ge ther hd stuff...but sounds like id only be able to get the new hd channels....

I didn't really realize that HBO had 2 identical HD channels currently (new to D*)

ESPN2 has just one channel 72 or somewhere in there - do you think they will make it 202-1 and move it to the MPEG 4 satellite? if so that would help me out since that is the only channel I'm missing right now.

I didn't really realize that HBO had 2 identical HD channels currently (new to D*)

ESPN2 has just one channel 72 or somewhere in there - do you think they will make it 202-1 and move it to the MPEG 4 satellite? if so that would help me out since that is the only channel I'm missing right now.

It's actually 206, but yes. There has been some previous documentation on this site that there will be a new MPEG4 version of ESPN HD (I can't wait!) on 206.

????

I was just attempting to answer the OP's question.

And there was not a single bit of "what iffing" in my answer. It was a "this is my understanding of how it works" answer. No "what if's" anywhere in there.

I really don't care how they handle the changeover, I was simply reporting what I'd heard and throwing in a tiny bit of speculation.

What, exactly crawled into your drawers this morning?

That was a good explanation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

D* is blacking out sportscenter?

What Channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)