Will This Receiver / Dish / Motor Combination Work?

DJH

Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
USA
Hello all. I'm about to cut the cord (actually, my satellite dish) in the middle of March. I used to own FTA receivers and dishes before I got DirecTV, and then Dish Network, but sold all I had. Now that I'm ready to get rid of Dish Network, I want
to go back to FTA. I wanted to give you guys a list of everything I'm thinking about buying to build a system, to see what you think, and to ask some questions if you don't mind. I'm going to buy everything from Rick's Satellite.

1. AZBox Premium Plus HD - (I want this for 4:2:2, and also want to record shows) If I connect this to my main HDTV upstairs, could I also broadcast the output of what I recorded, to my SDTV downstairs somehow, maybe wirelessly? That's the one thing I love about the Dish Network receiver I have. We can watch our shows in the living room on in the basement with the VIP722k DVR)

2. Fortec Star 120cm dish - (I want to view CBS HD feeds on Galaxy 28. I live in western NC, and the lyngsat satellite footprint looks like I can use a 120cm dish to pull those in. My wife wants to record her soaps)

3. BSC621-2 (Universal) or BSC621 (Standard) - This is a C/Ku LNB. (Again to catch the CBS feeds on Galaxy 28, and anything else I can find). Which do I need? Universal or Standard? With the 120cm dish, would I pick up more Atlantic satellites so that would make the Universal the best choice, or should I just stick with standard?

4. BSC100-DMSI - This is the conical scalar that supposed to allow the aformentioned choice of C/Ku LNB to pull in C Band signals. Do I need this? It looks like the scalar and the hardware that will mount the LNB to smaller dishes.

5. SG6000 Heavy Duty Motor - Does anyone know for sure if this motor will turn a 120cm dish successfully? I mean, I was thinking since this dish is 120cm, if I cranked it over as far as it would go to either side, the motor might have some trouble bringing it back up again.

Do I need any Diseqc switches with all this? (I was thinking the AZBox would just control the SG6000 directly, so no need for Diseqc switches) Also, I have a CoolSat 4000. Could I connect that receiver in another room to this same dish? (I'm sure the CoolSat would have to be tuned into the same satellite, and maybe I'd need a multiswitch?).

Thanks,

DJH

2. Fortec Star 120cm dish - (I want to view CBS HD feeds on Galaxy 28. I live in western NC, and the lyngsat satellite footprint looks like I can use a 120cm dish to pull those in. My wife wants to record her soaps)

3. BSC621-2 (Universal) or BSC621 (Standard) - This is a C/Ku LNB. (Again to catch the CBS feeds on Galaxy 28, and anything else I can find). Which do I need? Universal or Standard? With the 120cm dish, would I pick up more Atlantic satellites so that would make the Universal the best choice, or should I just stick with standard?

2. I would be surprised if you are able to get the CBS HD feeds with the 1.2M dish although I'm not saying its impossible

3. The Ku portion of a combo C/Ku LNB will perform poorly on 1.2M offeset, don't do it.

4. You will need a conical scaler for C-band of the 1.2M dish

Please don't take this the wrong way but most of your questions have been answered several times over if you were to do a search.
This thread would also really be bettter served by being in the FTA section, rather than AZbox section

I use a SG6000 on a primestar 84e. Pretty heavy with no problems, but a jack will get you there faster.

Combo LNBFs are next to worthless on a mini bud. Use a dedicated Cband and Ku LNBF. Mount them next to each other.

Search the forum for Mini-Bud to see what other's have done.

Attachments

• HYPER_dish.jpg
    HYPER_dish.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 283
Thanks

Thanks for your replies. As far as CBS goes, I'm just looking to record "The Young and the Restless" for my wife on the AZBox. Is there a CBS affiliate or feed on KU? every time I check, I seem to come up empty on that one, and still have recently.

I could get basic cable and get CBS, but buying an AZBox and getting into the hobby again and finding feeds is a lot more fun. I'd have to put up an antenna on top of my house just to get CBS OTA, so I don't want to do that. If I can't find the CBS network or feed and get it through C band on a 120CM dish, I'll bet I'm out of luck. Basic cable might be my answer for that, but the cable company already gets enough of my money with my cable modem. I have tried scanning the digital channels on my HDTV connected to cable, but I only get ABC, and FOX, not CBS nor NBC. I don't have room for a BUD here at my house either.

What should I do?

Sorry to post in the AZBox section. Mods if you want to move this thread feel free.

Thanks again

While I'm sure someone will tell you its possible, your goals are not realistic with a 1.2m dish. It may be possible to get SD Puerto Rico network feeds on 99w although I'm skeptical. To me the easiest/cheapest solution would be to put up an antenna for free OTA HD but another consideration would be to use your internet connection with a streaming device which would let your wife watch CBS and most other network shows for free with no need to record. You can then get a 1.2M dish with AZBox to play with.

The Fortec 1.0 and 1.2m dishes have a poorly thought-out elevation pivot.
I had a long running discussion a few years back, with a fellow in Canada about his.
He wound up adding a fine-tune vertical screw adjust to it.
(yes, he was motorized)
If you look at the GeoSatPro dish, you'll see it has a threaded vertical adjuster built in.
I can't find the link on the SatelliteAV.com web site right now, but it's well worth considering!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)