Will you buy an Apple Watch?

Will you buy the first version of the Apple Watch?

• Yes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 57 79.2%

• Total voters
Mine is 4/24-5/08.
Apple has been getting these out pretty quick IMO.
I figure to have mine sometime late next week or the first part of the following week.
For now we live through Don's wife Watch.
Don. Can you have Watch make calls and at the same time decline calls in watch settings?

Reactions: Bruuce
Mine is 4/24-5/08.
Apple has been getting these out pretty quick IMO.
I figure to have mine sometime late next week or the first part of the following week.
For now we live through Don's wife Watch.
Don. Can you have Watch make calls and at the same time decline calls in watch settings?
Mine is still showing May 13-27 delivery, but I just checked my bank account and there is 1 dollar charge from Apple on my debit card. Soooooo maybe sooner!!!!:)

Mine is still showing May 13-27 delivery, but I just checked my bank account and there is 1 dollar charge from Apple on my debit card. Soooooo maybe sooner!!!!:)

I'm sure you will. Several reports have said
Apple has really picked up production.

Don, can I move your latest posts to a new Apply Watch Owner's thread?
I think this deserves a separate thread, what do you think?

Leo Laporte unboxed his 38mm w/Milanese Loop band on TWiT's "Before you Buy" podcast. He ordered his seconds after midnight Pacific time which is probably how he was able to get it on Friday. It's for his wife, but he is going to put it through the paces until his 42mm SS shows up.

I'll post this here since it's an abusive/destructive test of the ?Watch Sport that CNET did. Not exactly a "Tips and Tricks" topic...

Overall, the Sport held up against rather extreme abuse. It also showed the white Sport band as being rather good about not staining. Boiling in water seemed a bit much, but other than the High Temperature shutdown, it recovered. All until the end...

Don, did you mean to say "Dick" or "Dick Tracy"? ;)

I wonder if we will see an explosion of socially rude behavior now that there will be an estimated 4 million smartwatches in the wild, counting AndroidWear, Apple Watch, and Pebble. Google never reached anywhere near the audience with Google Glass but it the term "Glassholes" still came into existence. What will we call those who sneak peaks at their wrists while you're talking to them?

Also, I went to see "Ex Machina" yesterday, and before the movie was the usual "please silence your smartphone" clip. Now they will need to add smartwatches to that.

Don, is there a way to put the Apple Watch into "screen mute" so it won't light up or make noise when you're in a darkened theater? I probably should have posted this in the "Tips and Tricks" thread...

Don, did you mean to say "Dick" or "Dick Tracy"? ;)
I meant what I typed. It was meant to be funny in a pun sort of way. :D

The only place I saw Google Glass being worn was at CES where there were a bunch of Google plants wandering around trying to look cool. (Not)
Yes, you can silence it a number of ways, both from the phone and the watch. I plan to consider doing this so that raising my wrist doesn't constantly light up the screen. When that is done you have to manually touch the crown to activate the screen as opposed to automatic. But, the tapping on the wrist shouldn't be a bother. I can't put the screen light up on "silent" on my Sony, at least I haven't figured out how. If a call comes in, just touch the reject button so it stops tapping on the wrist. The Sony has a buzzer and it can be loud in a quiet room.

Anyway, back on topic-

I just checked my CC balance on line and see Apple has now charged me for all remaining items, two stainless watches ( mine and the gift for my Son-in-law), the Milanese band for my wife, and an extra charging cable with the short cord, I plan to do some surgery on for a custom charger I'm building for the watch- see the other thread. The Apple order status has not changed and still lists May except for the cable which is listed as shipped for delivery on Tuesday. Yes, I have a big balance on my CC now, but I put the money aside to pay for it back in February even before I knew what the pricing would be. I traded some Apple stock in and out a few times. :) I almost feel like a drug junkie who sells drugs to pay for the habit. :D

Last edited:
Breaking News-

On the delay of Apple Watch shipping-

Apple spokesman just announced the reason why Apple is having trouble delivering watches. They discovered their Chinese supplier of the taptic engine, the component that taps you on the wrist upon notification had discovered defects and the entire inventory of watches that been made with these engines had to be scrapped. Their other supplier of the engine was from Japan and these did meet specs and these are the only watches that have shipped. There was no mention on the number of watches scrapped vs the number being shipped, nor when this issue would be behind them.

edit-
There was a followup to this breaking story from Apple, stating that the story was not from an official Apple News release and that they have no official comment on the validity of the story at this time.

Meanwhile, as a direct result of the original story, Apple stock dropped $3.00 a share.

Reminds me of antenna-gate of a few years ago.

Last edited:
When I tried on the Apple Watch back on the 11th, I noticed that the Taptic "touch" on the two watches I tried were notably different in strength. I wonder if that was because of two different suppliers or, as I supposed at the time, the difference in mass between the 38mm and 42mm stainless steel watch bodies.

Like Don said, the first report was not an actual Apple release. Who knows if this was an attempt to drop the price of the stock or just someone trying to sow some FUD into the Internet?

There's a lot of market manipulation lately causing lots of volatility. The most recent was the hit to Twitter an hour before the earnings report. SEC never seems to have any comment and appears asleep on the job.

As this point, I know something's up because the first week my CC was hit with a reserve for the watch my wife received. Following the same pattern, three more items had a CC reserve but the difference this week is that I have not yet seen a shipping date. Last week I got a UPS tracking number by now. This week, just 5 days of a CC reserve scheduled. But celebrities on TV are all showing off their SS model Apple watches receiving them Monday through Today. I think they made a lot of mistakes, especially prepackaging whole assemblies. Should have prepackaged each part and when an order comes in just grab each ordered, individually packed component that way it is less likely to run out of inventory.

Apple Event - May 7, 2024 (New iPads!)

iOS 18, what did you think?