Will you cancel Dish because of the new receiver pricing?

Stay or Cancel

• Stay with Dish (accept the price increase)

Votes: 243 69.0%
  • Cancel Dish (reject the price increase)

Votes: 109 31.0%

• Total voters
by not cancelling you are just encouraging be raped in the future.

next year they will bumb the high end stick subs another 10 bucks per box.

hey its only 27 bucks per box. no biggie right?:(

Pricing Model More "Fare" now

Although I do not like price increases, the new method seems to distribute the cost more consistently to the more expensive installtions. Delivering service is the same cost if you have 1 receiver or 10. The only difference is the cost of the hardware in the home. By making the hardware lease fees more they shift the cost burden so it matches the actual cost to the company more accurately.

People may not like it but it does mean that they can keep the cost lower for the installations that have only one receiver. This would be consistent with them wanting to be the low price leader.

It also allows for another differentiator between Dish and Directv. If you want more hardware then Directv may be the better option just as if you want the most sports Directv is a better option.

Once again choice is always a good thing.

Something to think about.

Although I do not like price increases, the new method seems to distribute the cost more consistently to the more expensive installtions. Delivering service is the same cost if you have 1 receiver or 10. The only difference is the cost of the hardware in the home. By making the hardware lease fees more they shift the cost burden so it matches the actual cost to the company more accurately.

People may not like it but it does mean that they can keep the cost lower for the installations that have only one receiver. This would be consistent with them wanting to be the low price leader.

It also allows for another differentiator between Dish and Directv. If you want more hardware then Directv may be the better option just as if you want the most sports Directv is a better option.

Once again choice is always a good thing.

Something to think about.

What you didn't take into consideration is MOST people (it would seem) who have multiple boxes OWN THEM not lease them....so the cost burden has already been removed. The additional fees do nothing but increase the top line....(which isn't a bad thing as a shareholder) and appear like gouging to their top tier customers.

If it was just me, I would cancel. There are some channels in the Latino package that I cannot get with Comcast and the wife would kill me. Also we would lose all of my daughter's shows recorded in the DVR and she will never forgive me for that. :(

Directv is not an option because it costs too much money for the initial equipment.

I was considering an upgrade to HD and repalceing my 501/508 with a couple of 612's....Forget it.
I'll hang with SD and my old assed 3 single tuner non HD EQ as long as I can.
I am paying about $112 now..250 with HBO and Superstations.
This increase makes Dish non competitive.
Our retail sales will suffer which effects the amount of work I get to do. So while I pay more for service I get less work. A double whammy.

Since Dish doesn't show CSN California on Center Ice outside of free previews to suck people in I was already planning on switching after this hockey season. Dish is just cementing my decision to go back to DirecTV.

Our 2nd 622 is owned, I can sell it and come out money even on equipment when we switch this summer. I REALLY don't appreciate charging me $17 a month for something I own!

Last edited:
As long as Dish continues to be cheaper than TWC, I will stay. Not really that hard to accomplish really.

Ted

I am a one receiver home (722K w/OTA-HD to both TV's). This one will affect me less than the normal price increase.

Obviously, I am not going anywhere. Comcast here charges 14.99 per DVR, so the Dish price is about the same-Comcast also charges for the first box... No freebies.

Dish has been and still is my best choice.

What you didn't take into consideration is MOST people (it would seem) who have multiple boxes OWN THEM not lease them....so the cost burden has already been removed. The additional fees do nothing but increase the top line....(which isn't a bad thing as a shareholder) and appear like gouging to their top tier customers.

I also think that most with multiple boxes have acquired them over time and added to their programming the same way helping the retailers. in the past 12 years we have had retailers and dish installers to our home and camper at least 5 times for up grades only not problems. Glad we have what we want (said that before) because I feel sure this will be the end for us. NO more commitments here, two years is too long to leave my butt cheeks hanging out for the shareholders, they also wham bammed me a few other places also. We upgraded because it was a sensible thing to do, not really cheep, but sensible, now downgrading or giving up programming or receivers just to pay the same is not making any sense to me.

Most likely cancel. With these increases Dish will be more expensive than the same setup with DirecTV or TWC. Sad, as they used to be the best deal, now they will be the worst.

If they can throw us a fair deal, we'll stay, but other than that, there's absolutely no reason to.

No, because Comcast would cost me more :(

I pay ~$233 total, for AEP 3) 722s and 1) 510 , DHPP , Comcast Internet and Vonage. This is before the Dish fee increases.

Comcast pricing in my area:
Triple play- $160, 3) additional dual tuner dvrs = $48. 1st yr is $208. 2nd yr it jumps to $227. 3rd+ is $248.
So after the 3rd year, Comcast will still be cheaper in my area. There's NO WAY I'll ever refer someone to Dish again. Why would a new subscriber choose Dish over
Comcast after Feb 1st? And what's the deal with the Sat tax? If I remember correctly, there's taxes that Dish passes on that cable companies don't ?

If you can accept the reduced HD channel count of Comcast, then I guess it could work out.

Comcast offers a single HD channel for NHL Center Ice. One. That rules them out immediately for me.

If you can accept the reduced HD channel count of Comcast, then I guess it could work out.

Comcast offers a single HD channel for NHL Center Ice. One. That rules them out immediately for me.

I'm going to take a hard look at what channels we actually watch on a regular basis. Like someone posted earlier. Most who say they'll switch will stay with Dish. Me included. ( for now ) I'll most likely drop my 510 and put one of my 722s in dual mode. Will look into dropping from AEP to 250. Dish is going to have a hard time competing with cable offerings after Feb 1st, as far as new subscribers.

And I'll bet 75% of those saying they will leave, won't.

Perhaps. But I am really thinking about it. Perhaps to fios since I already use them for Phone and Internet.

I have three 622's and it sounds like a $20 increase for the two additional ones. If I were a big sports fan I probably would have gone already since they don't carry Yes and I am in NY DMA.

In our area, I am guessing but not sure that sports channels like NHL network would be in the sports Tier which would be a few bucks extra. I get a bill from comcast becouse I have internet with them. They are adding MAVtv and another channel cant think of it now, but I know its a channel Dish has and they are putting both of those in there "sports tier" level.

In our area, I am guessing but not sure that sports channels like NHL network would be in the sports Tier which would be a few bucks extra. I get a bill from comcast becouse I have internet with them. They are adding MAVtv and another channel cant think of it now, but I know its a channel Dish has and they are putting both of those in there "sports tier" level.
NHL Network is one thing -- Center Ice on Dish gives me 2-5 games I can watch every night in HD. Dish and DirecTV can offer that because they're already uplinking the RSNs in HD to the satellites anyway, whereas your local Comcast market would have no need to allocate channel space for an RSN that's 2000 miles away.

For my Comcast market I'd get half the HD channels of Dish, and I'd pay more.

Digital Preferred Service $74.49
Sports Entertainment Package $7.99 (required to get things like the NFL network that are included by default on Dish Top 250)
DVR Receiver $15.95 each
Each receiver after the 1st also incurs a $6.95 additional outlet fee

So cost for Comcast with 2 receivers: $74.49 + $7.99 + $15.95 + $15.95 + $6.95 = $121.33

Compare that to:

Classic Gold 250 $62.99
HD + Platinum $10.00
Sports Pack $5.99 (to be fair, adding this in to cover Red Zone and Big Ten Network for those not in region)

2 HD Duo DVRs $17 for the 2nd (first one free) + $6 account DVR fee

So $62.99 + $10 + $5.99 + $17 + $6 = $101.98

It's cheaper by almost $20/mo AND you get a boatload more channels with Dish.

Last edited:
NHL Network is one thing -- Center Ice on Dish gives me 2-5 games I can watch every night in HD. Dish and DirecTV can offer that because they're already uplinking the RSNs in HD to the satellites anyway, whereas your local Comcast market would have no need to allocate channel space for an RSN that's 2000 miles away.

For my Comcast market I'd get half the HD channels of Dish, and I'd pay more.

Digital Preferred Service $74.49
Sports Entertainment Package $7.99 (required to get things like the NFL network that are included by default on Dish Top 250)
DVR Receiver $15.95 each
Each receiver after the 1st also incurs a $6.95 additional outlet fee

So cost for Comcast with 2 receivers: $74.49 + $7.99 + $15.95 + $15.95 + $6.95 = $121.33

Compare that to:

Classic Gold 250 $62.99
HD + Platinum $10.00
Sports Pack $5.99 (to be fair, adding this in to cover Red Zone and Big Ten Network for those not in region)

2 HD Duo DVRs $17 for the 2nd (first one free) + $6 account DVR fee

So $62.99 + $10 + $5.99 + $17 + $6 = $101.98

It's cheaper by almost $20/mo AND you get a boatload more channels with Dish.

I agree with you...For HD offerings, Comcast in my area cant touch Dishes offerings. For those like me with a 722K and a 612, I am not getting hit that hard, infact I think I may see a price reduction of about 1.00 (I think) I do understand that those with many recievers are going to see it. Plus I am able to get that third TV with SD recption. Would need another "box" if I went with comcast.

I dropped AEP as I was not watching the premiums and now with the waived DVR fees not waived in the future it was a easy choice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)