Will you change your plan due to increase?

Will you change your plan?

• Yes

Votes: 129 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 105 37.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 48 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe

I have to see what I am getting with my AT120 right now and see how the new 200 is. However, if the HBO/Cinemax changes I will drop it like a fly.

America's Everything Pack On Dish Network.
AEP is really misnamed because it does not include locals or superstations. Both will cost you extra. I am seriously considering downgrading from AEP+locals to a lower tier w/o movies.:mad:

We'll probably downgrade our programming as well.

We'll keep the AT-250 (or whatever it is now) with locals, but probably drop the HD pak. I can't justify $20 for channels we really don't watch. Most if not all HD we watch nowadays is local HD.

I will drop locals and find the one program I watch weekly (24) on FOX, which is the only local I can't get OTA. Saves $5/month.

I am thinking about dropping the superstations and an additional receiver on my account (more than the $3 that they are going to raise the bill) so that should save me about $10 per month. Last year I downgraded from AEP to AT180.

Well, I guess I'm a sucker. I am a tight-wad in other areas of my life, but I do love the access I get with AEP, and I and my family do watch virtually all those channels, certainly the premium movies and the most popular in our home are all AT 180. HOWEVER, I do think Charlie should do a little more for us AEP'ers. He should not only waive the DVR fees, but he should waive any upgrade fees, allow us to exceed the 4 tuner lease limit, a whole bunch of things he could do to soften the latest OUCH increase for AEP. But then again, Chuck figures that since I'm an AEP, I've got a goose laying golden eggs, and he wants as many of those eggs he can get his hands on, eh?. Such is life.

FIOS TV just became available to me last night - i'm set for a 1/4 install. The $10 increase to the HD Platinum pack - along with the ending of my $10 off per month special I got when signing up - means i'd be seeing a $20/mo increase. Good bye DISH!

Enjoy the fantantastic Picture Quality from the leaders in HD...TNTHD, ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, NFLHD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, UHD, DiscoveryHD, WealthTV, NGHD, MTVHD, HBOHD, CinemaxHD, ShowtimeHD, TMCHD, StarzHD, 8 HD Locals (in my area) - no 15 channels of VOOM HD-Lite, no HDNet & HDNet Movies HD-Lite. Oh, and enjoy the savings and blazing broadband speed too!:hatsoff:

Dish made a fatal mistake with ending the 5.00 hd plat discount and adding the 5.00 increase. THis was given to help people to upgrade to the Plat pack or AEP + hd pack. Now why would anyone do this when they will be paying close to 120.00 before tax? Add to that extra receivers and you will be close to $130.00 a month just for video services- no internet or phone. I see Dish having less people subbing to AEP + hd now that they have raised the price and unbelievable $10.00 a month in the yearly increase. If they wanted subs to subscribe to the most programming they can get, this was not the way to do it.

Giving people who subscibe to everything they can get in AEP + hd , a discount was a nice way of not only thanking them but showing them the most value for their money. Now it feels like they have included the dvr fee since Dish seems to be driven by one thing now FEES=$$$.

The one think that Dish had going for them years ago was that they were better than Cable and did not have all the cable like fees. They have surpassed them in fees now. They are just as bad as CAble and they better not ever again compare themselves to them as the better value. Take a look at all those fees.

this year / last year
DVR FEE- PER RECEIVER $5.98 / $4.98
HD ENABELING FEE- PER HD RECEIVER $6.00 / n/a
PHONE LINE FEE IF NO CONNECT
PER DUAL TUNER RECEIVER - $4.99 / $4.99
ADDITIONAL RECEIVER FEE - HD - $6.00 / $4.99
ADDITIONAL RECEIVER FEE - SD- $5.00 / $4.99
LEASE FEE PER RECEIVER- $6.00 / $6.00

Notice that all these above fees went up over last year as well by about a $1.00. The hd enabeling fee was created to hit the ota only customers. They want to make sure you pay to use your free ota antenna . You will be hit by most of these if you try to downgrade to a lower pack with a hd dvr like the 622.

For example if you own two 622 dvrs and you down grade to the top 120 w locals + hdpack on February 1st 2007. Your bill will look like this:

TOP 120 w locals $47.99
HD pack 20.00
Dvr fees
2x5.98= 11.96
ADDITIONAL REC 6.00
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
$85.95 before tax

Compare it if you drop hd to save some money.

TOP 120 with locals $47.99
HD ENABELING FEES
2x6.00= 12.00
DVR fees
2x 5.98= 11.96
ADD receiver 6.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------
$ 77.95 before tax

You only save $8.00 by dropping the hd pack but you lose up to 27 hd channels. Dish has you hemmed in and this is where I object. I shouldn't have to pay out the ass with an Hd receiver and be penalized if I try to downgrade to save money. Who wants all those fees? THe only one I don't see added YET is the remote control fee. I just wonder how much they will gouge customers for the new internet access fee for DISH -ONLINE in Feb? You know they will add a fee for this too right?

OK- let's talk about Cox Cable in Northern VA. As best as I can determine, and their fee schedule is at least as arcane as Dishes, it would cost $76.87 per month for one HD receiver and one non HD receiver and service roughly equivalent to Dish HD Gold (but fewer HD channels). Oh, my mistake- they also add 8.26% + 26 cents for "Franchise, PEG fees & other costs paid to local governments" bringing that total to $83.48. That's before taxes, and I may have missed a $5 or $10 charge somewhere. Note that that's without a DVR. Add another $20 per month (plus that 8.26%) for DVR service and DVR rental for one of the two receivers- you MUST rent, no more owning your DVR here.

That's a LOT more than I'll be paying in Feb 07 for my HD Gold with 3 outlets (1 HD DVR & 2 SD DVRs).

Oh yeah, there's On Demand. Howard Stern at $13.99 per month, other stuff, such as WWE, for $6.99 per month. One premium channel, such as HBO, is $13.99 per month (plus 8.26%).

Yes, they charge to rent the remote- part of the receiver rental fee. Lose that remote and it's $4.27. That's the cheapest "lost item" fee- the most expensive is $466. Keep in mind this is not first rate stuff to start with, and mostly used at that. And FEES? You should see their list of fees. God forbid you have an installer come out- it seems they charge for every step the guy takes. And I've had folks tell me they've been charged for a service call even when the fault was in Cox's lines or equipment (not supposed to be charged for that). Not sure they ever won that one.

So, maybe the grass is greener, maybe it isn't. But we pick from the choices available. Endless complaining that it's not the way you think it should be is non productive. And it can't be good for your own well being.

"The one think that Dish had going for them years ago was that they were better than Cable and did not have all the cable like fees. They have surpassed them in fees now. They are just as bad as CAble and they better not ever again compare themselves to them as the better value. Take a look at all those fees."

There is a new pig in town and it's here to stay. I couldn't agree more with what you said. All these extra fees are killing the advantage that E* had over cable.

13mil to 3 mil.

Looks like Dish Subs are going to drop in the coming year.
What's the driving force with all these changes? Dish seems to have no fear of competition like Fios or all the others they just doing there own thing. I know they launched satellites and those cost a pretty penny but still has to be less then what Fios is costing to build.
I would think they want more customers not less in the coming year. Someone explain this to me.

13mil to 3 mil.
Looks like Dish Subs are going to drop in the coming year....

13M down to 3M? Get a grip. There will be more Dish customers at the end of 07 than 06. The only question is, how many more. Don't get angry or upset. If you don't like the prices/service, just go elsewhere. But posting an utter disaster for Dish just because you're unhappy- that says nothing about Dish and a lot about you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts