WiMAX!

jlong27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
Katy, TX
Just got my WiMAX equipment today. 2 4G/3G usb devices and 2 Motorola home modems and 1 static IP. 6X1Mbps for $180 a month.

One modem is for backup internet at the office and one is to replace comcast at my house.

So far here at work near an outside window we get 3 bars solid and up to 4 bars. When I put the modem in my server room I got 4 bars solid and up to 5 bars. That is really strange to me because the server room is in the middle of the building with a metal roof. :confused:

IT'S awesome, that's all I can say. Here are some of my speed tests.

I had Clearwire for many years. It's become very unreliable since they upgraded us to 4G. Hopefully they did a better job in your area.

I'm back on DSL. My modem was returned to Clearwire this morning.

It really is too bad, because I liked the service a lot before the upgrade.

That's crazy. Check out this speed test.

This is at my office. At my house I can't connect even though it says I should be able to. I also tried in my Kingwood office and only got 1 or 2 bars and barely 1mbps down .03Mbps up and 650ms ping time.

It looks like you have a different service than I had.

Even when the 4G was working I only had 5 Mbs.

As you're noticing, the service is very dependent on the tower that you're using.

When I was connected (when my tower was working properly), I always had five bars.

The problem was that the tower broke more than I was willing to tolerate.

You're probably within whatever trial period they have; you'll be able to return the equipment for the areas where your service isn't acceptable.

I just found out I am about .80 of a mile from the tower at my office. The strange thing is I am in the middle of the office and there are other buildings in the way.

At my house I am about 1.3 miles away from the tower and I get crap for connection. They are going to send a tech out to my house Monday. The cool thing is they said in the Houston market they are short on tech, and the tech they have work on the towers so it should be interesting to talk to the tech.

I have to say I REALLY like their tech support, sales and customer service. They are here in America, very courteous and very knowledgeable.

For what ever reason they don't have a device with an external antenna. Looking at google earth I can see the exact cell site and it would be super easy for me to mount an antenna on the mast with my OTA antenna or sat dish that is on my roof, which has line of site to the tower.

Check out actual download speeds. The speed was fluctuating between these speeds.

Attachments

• 556.jpg
    556.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 244
  • 427.jpg
    427.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 233
jlong27 said:
Just got my WiMAX equipment today. 2 4G/3G usb devices and 2 Motorola home modems and 1 static IP. 6X1Mbps for $180 a month.

One modem is for backup internet at the office and one is to replace comcast at my house.

So far here at work near an outside window we get 3 bars solid and up to 4 bars. When I put the modem in my server room I got 4 bars solid and up to 5 bars. That is really strange to me because the server room is in the middle of the building with a metal roof. :confused:

IT'S awesome, that's all I can say. Here are some of my speed tests.

http://www.speedtest.net

Why would you want to replace Comcast with Clearwire?

It can make a BIG difference when it comes to broadband connectivity in comparison to voice from one location to another. In areas where the signal is poor you need to get a high gain antenna to overcome the line of site issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)