Wind Problems

elder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Every time my dish went warped, because of the wind, I would first lose one polarity on one lnb and then most everything on the other LNB. So I would definitely string check for warp. In the cold weather and snow that I lost TBN mix on G19 and most of AMC4. I climbed the ladder to look at the dish and there did not seem to be any snow on the lnbs and very little if any on the dish. When the sun came out for a few minutes suddenly, the signals came back. I do not know if there was ice or a cold warp on the dish, but I got most signals back.
I lost about every thing apparently due to wind. I will check the dish after it warms up a bit. If it's a warp can it be straightened without taking it down? My last wind problem was an un-centered bubble, the tripod is not strong enough for my eaves mount. I think it's because I can't get the best angle for the braces.

Is there a better antenna out there, maybe with az/el adjustment wheels? The GeoSat 90cm is a bit flimsy and hard to adjust, I may try a post mount in the spring.

The GEOSATpro dish is a well constructed dish and only the most severe wind would damage the reflector. The dish has an operational wind speed up to 65MPH and survival to 125MPH. rv1pop experiences extreme winds and the problem was addressed when he added the side support arms to the LNBF support arm.

It certainly sounds like your mast is not mounted securely to provide a stable base. The tripod legs must be properly and securely mounted to provide a stable platform for the reflector. If the tripod support legs are not properly supported, the dish, no matter what the design features, will be pushed out of alignment.

You might post a photo of the eve mount so we can comment. Is the eve mount similar to the eve mount that we offer with the adjustable side support leg? Eve Mount

The GEOSATpro dish is a well constructed dish and only the most severe wind would damage the reflector. The dish has an operational wind speed up to 65MPH and survival to 125MPH. rv1pop experiences extreme winds and the problem was addressed when he added the side support arms to the LNBF support arm.

It certainly sounds like your mast is not mounted securely to provide a stable base. The tripod legs must be properly and securely mounted to provide a stable platform for the reflector. If the tripod support legs are not properly supported, the dish, no matter what the design features, will be pushed out of alignment.

You might post a photo of the eve mount so we can comment. Is the eve mount similar to the eve mount that we offer with the adjustable side support leg? Eve Mount
Can not open the link.

However, Glorystar, you are correct. The only other thing I did was to drill a 1/8 inch hole through the mount and pole when accurately lined up, and put a sheet metel screw through the hole to lock it in place. It continued to work through a 15 second 80 mph gust, without moving. :):)

One other thing I did was to use good carriage bolts through 2 of the holes (diagonally) in the mount plate and on the braces where the mount to the side of the building (as if it was an eave).:D:up

Without the LNB braces, the wind was a major problem. With the braces, the dish even works well as a portable, but the base is not the best, IF you can NOT use the braces on the mast - as when clamped to a picnic table! That said, however, the ability to level the mast in every direction and the included bubble level, which I leave in on the road,, is a huge plus, which usually makes it workable.

Right now, I am in Lynnwood WA and could not use the mast braces - the wind, ice and snow are causing me some problems, but since the signal comes back, I do not think it is the mast or dish. Temperature more likely since the aiming was quick and close, but not very good.:eek:

ADDED:
For the eave bracing, and since I want solid signal rather than a pretty mount job, I put an 18 inch 2X6 on each side of the mast, 2 1/2" lag and 3 1/2" carriage bolted to the structure and 1/4 inch by 2 1/2 inch carriage bolts through the braces and the 2X6s. Did not move in 5 months. Took it down to go on the road.

Last edited:

I couldn't get the link to open either. I am glad that I need not be concerned about a warped dish. My concern came from more than a couple of posts addressing warped dishes though. My problem is that my mast plate and the support arms are all bolted to the fascia with the dish looking up over the pitch of the roof. This doesn't give me enough of an angle for a good triangular brace. My digital camera is not home right now so I'll try a sketch.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 187
I added to my post while you were posting. If that is the way you have it mounted and can move it, I would LOOK at moving the mounting so you could brace the pole around or on the corner. Then drill and put two sheet metal screws, one in the wall mount and one for the dish mount. That REALLY stopped my stability problems.
POP
BLESSINGS!!!

I added to my post while you were posting. If that is the way you have it mounted and can move it, I would LOOK at moving the mounting so you could brace the pole around or on the corner. Then drill and put two sheet metal screws, one in the wall mount and one for the dish mount. That REALLY stopped my stability problems.
POP
BLESSINGS!!!
It's actually not as close to that corner as the sketch appears. The corner might move me out of the notch in the trees I am aiming for plus the dish would be too much in view from my deck if moved to the corner. I have some galvanized water pipe that appears to be the right diameter so come spring I may use it to move off the fascia. It would permit me to use it for a ground as well thus getting a better ground closer to the dish (I am now sharing the telephone ground). Meanwhile the sheet metal screw sounds like a very good idea to stop the mast from rotating back in the wall mount. Thanks much!

Thinking.... Can you get one brace down to the eave and then a piece of 1/2" emt to the edge of the roof eave - maybe even the full 10 feet to make it solid?

Grounding drains off the static, so even a longer run (within reason) will not hurt too much. A direct hit will remove the roof! And yes, I have seen the results of a direct hit. A 5 foot length of 750 mcm will not protect from a direct hit. A direct hit on a power tower near our property (30?) years ago brought down the whole tower and started a huge wildfire that people still talk about.

Most of my suggestions have come from trial and success - trial and error does not give me proven ideas to pass on. I do not like to talk about the errors! So I suggest what I have found works. I have tied a pool table, Flipper Game and Jukebox into the back of a pickup truck with kite twine for a 70 mile trip. I do not recommend it, but I had to do it and I used all the twine I had. I found if something can not start moving, it can not fall off the truck. Same principle with the dish. If it can not rock, it will not move out of alignment.
POP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts