Wind storm now lost channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What is "obviously" incorrect about what I said or are you just trying to start another argument with me?

I know half the techs around here and none of them do a spec pole mount.
I also have pulled several up and have never pulled one up that was spec.

Most a sufficient but none are spec.

I think what he's getting at, is, your a very SMALL sample of what has been done as far as Pole Mount installs goes .... also your only taking into account the D* or DSIH maybe installs that your aware of...
This figure does NOT include all the people out there that do thier OWN work and obviously are not in the HURRY that the installer is in.

You would NEVER tell me that MY pole Mounts are not done correct, first of all, you'd never get them out to check in the first place.

See your grouping EVERYONE in your statement ... quite a broad brush your painting with.

Just what I was getting at Jimbo. You put it much more succinctly than I did. Thank you!

LOL, at you.

Slow me down? HAhaha you give yourself way too much credit.
I have not slowed down. I am just not snowed in anymore.
But whatever keeps you going there buddy.

Anyone here I am sure can see you are just trying to pick a fight.

You post here trying to prove me wrong in an area that you admittedly know nothing about and then talk about my personal skills.

You have nothing.

JMHO:rolleyes:

How do you figure he "knows Nothing About" just because he's not a D* trained tech, he knows NOTHING ?

Give me a break ....
Some of you D* techs feel that your the ONLY one that can POSSIBLY do this job....

None of this is Rocket Science.

Go ahead ..... pat yourself on the back .... no one else here is going to.

Btw, there are PLENTY of other techs on the board here that do fine work and don't have to make themselves out to be Super Tech.

Unfortunately, you've been that way since day 1 ... :(

How long have you been installing for D* ?

Ok then how is this for explanation?

Improper to me means not to spec
Never said that not to spec was not good enough to last

So, that being said most pole mounts I HAVE SEEN are improper.
Most of those I think is pretty safe to assume that they were installed by techs as I am assume that most poles for satellite dishes are not done by customers but I have never taken a survey on this so I suppose I can only assume. However, I have pulled some up by customers that were good enough and some that were very poorly done.

No techs I know and I know many including myself (I bet if you took a survey here you would find similar results) do proper (spec) pole mounts. I and many of them do ones that will last for many years or will rust out the ground before the install is ever an issue. However many of the ones I have pulled on slightly will come right up out of the ground concrete and all. If it never gave an issue, is that "good enough"? Not in my opinion, it is lucky.

So, that being said, it is very possible that if a dish is on an improperly installed pole that a wind storm can very easily play havoc on a ka/ku dish. And yes, D* has had many issues with this over the years.

Raoul or whatever the hell his name is may be knowledgeable, but it is possible that I have probably installed and pulled up more satellite poles in a month then he has in his 40 years of a/v experience. So him starting an argument like this is definitely pretty immature for a man that is probably close to or even more then 20 years older then me (I'm 37 if you would like to do the math).

That being said, is everything I say going to be twisted in to an argument if I don't put a disclaimer after it?

How about this, here is my disclaimer for every post.

"The statements made are solely from my experience"

Should I put it in my sig?

Interesting Post !

Maybe D* should be doing more quality inspections if you find this many BAD installs.
Don't you lety someone know , so time can be made to come out and correct ?

What exactly IS the Specs for a correctly done pole mount ?

I don't need my pole to be up to D*'s spec, I need them up to my expectations. It's there and not going anywhere, it's been up since '04 or '05 without issue.

First off, my name is Chip, it's on the bottom of every one of my posts and on my personal page. Feel free to use it. Second, my intent has never been to start an argument, it's to get you to think before you post. You did get my age about right. You are knowledgeable and can be helpful at times, but when you say things like "most poles are installed incorrectly", I will call you on it. That would mean that over half are done wrong, and that is patently absurd. The failure rate on pole installs would be a huge problem. When you first joined here we had to slow you down, and I don't want you to leave, but please think before you post!

Interesting Post !

Maybe D* should be doing more quality inspections if you find this many BAD installs.
Don't you let someone know , so time can be made to come out and correct ?

That's exactly the point I brought up earlier, Jimbo. Apparently he doesn't care enough to make sure his fellow installers do the job right, because he sidestepped that question completely.

What exactly IS the Specs for a correctly done pole mount ?

I don't need my pole to be up to D*'s spec, I need them up to my expectations.

I have listed them and in some areas those specs are needed due to soil and/or freeze lines.

Specs are not needed in my area to make good enough.
However, many techs do not do good enough.

First off, my name is Chip, it's on the bottom of every one of my posts and on my personal page. Feel free to use it. Second, my intent has never been to start an argument, it's to get you to think before you post. You did get my age about right. You are knowledgeable and can be helpful at times, but when you say things like "most poles are installed incorrectly", I will call you on it. That would mean that over half are done wrong, and that is patently absurd. The failure rate on pole installs would be a huge problem. When you first joined here we had to slow you down, and I don't want you to leave, but please think before you post!

If you honestly think you "slowed me down" and it makes you feel better then go for it.
However, when I first started here, I was snowed in, couldn't even get out of my drive way snowed in.
Lately we have been in the 70's.

But whatever makes you feel better go for it.

Call me out all you want, I still stand 100% behind what I said.
When I have been wrong, I am man enough to admit it but in this case I am right and have more experience and knowledge then you.
Most pole mounts are done improperly.
Not spec = improper
Now, many even though they are not spec are still sufficient.

That being said, many have issues within a year.
If I can not go back to a dish and do an upgrade on install that was done within the last 2 years and not pass installation verification without retuning the dish then it was not done "good enough". Many that are over 1 year old you are retuning because the pole was improperly installed, the mast was improperly installed, or something was not tightened properly. Many people are not aware they have a problem as with a digital signal everything looks fine until you lose signal and since often it does not go out until it rains a little they just pass it off as due to the weather even though it is barely raining.

And yes, pole mounts have been a big problem which has been brought to our attention many times.
Most the problems are due too little or no concrete.

Last edited:
That's exactly the point I brought up earlier, Jimbo. Apparently he doesn't care enough to make sure his fellow installers do the job right, because he sidestepped that question completely.

Actually it has nothing to do with caring as it pisses me all off to hell when I see sh!tty work because it usually means I am fixing crap I don't get paid to fix.
I have said things to others.
My boss has even had experienced contractors retrain with me (which means 0 pay for them).
I have trained every tech that has come through our office since I started there (yes, every one since I started)
I train them right but have no control with what they do once trained.
I have seen work from techs that if it was in my control to do or say anything they would be fired.
Will be happy share pics if you feel it necessary.

Almost a 1000 posts in a month and a half. How do you find the time? From my experience the people who constantly bragg & criticize are the worst offenders on quality. Actions speak louder than words, no amount of typing is going to convince me or anyone else that a super installer is in our presence. :rolleyes:

Way to jump in there when it is almost settled.
Lets stir the pot up.

I think you just like my posts:rolleyes:

Well, I am glad I can help to make your life a little better by giving you something to look forward to.:up

I have listed them and in some areas those specs are needed due to soil and/or freeze lines.

Specs are not needed in my area to make good enough.
However, many techs do not do good enough.

I'm confused. First you said the spec for a pole mount is a three ft hole and 150 lb of concrete. Now you say there is no spec needed in your area. You can't have it both ways. Which is it?

Really not that confusing especially if you read all my posts on this.

I never said there are no specs for my area as the specs are the same across the country. I am saying that you can mount them where they are solid without following proper specs in my area due to the freeze lines not being very low and soil.

So when I quoted you as saying "specs are not needed in my area", you didn't mean it? Now I'm really confused! :rolleyes:

Actually it has nothing to do with caring as it pisses me all off to hell when I see sh!tty work because it usually means I am fixing crap I don't get paid to fix.
I have said things to others.
My boss has even had experienced contractors retrain with me (which means 0 pay for them).
I have trained every tech that has come through our office since I started there (yes, every one since I started)
I train them right but have no control with what they do once trained.
I have seen work from techs that if it was in my control to do or say anything they would be fired.
Will be happy share pics if you feel it necessary.

So, your saying that your company has NO repair dept only installation ?

So, your saying that your company has NO repair dept only installation ?

Why do you insist on putting words in my my mouth?

No, I am not saying that at all.
When caught it is fixed.
Either the tech who is responsible is sent back out or they are back charged and somebody else fixes it.

The one that I was referring to in that post, I fixed it.
I went out to cover his service call and well, it was no wonder why there was a service call.

Status
Please reply by conversation.