Wind storm now lost channels.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tcpuccio1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Lancaster, NY
Title says it all. I didn't install the system It was put in last fall And never paid attention to the signal strengths and satellites. which sattelites does the multi LNB dish need? I have a few with really good signal and one with 43% and a few with no signal at all. which ones do i Need to get all the stations. It's a SWM antenna. I have HD DVR receivers and the dish is the oval shaped one with three heads on it. It's easier for me to try to get the signal in then to call them out for service But which one are needed and which ones are not. The install manual that came with the receiver is usless for which stattelites I need to tune to and which ones I don't. East coast NY here.
I ran a test and satellite 119 is the only one that have green check marks on it all the rest have red x's

Help!

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Your dish likely got moved slightly in the wind. What are the signal strength numbers you are getting on all of the satellites? Try moving it slightly while checking the signal levels. Give the signals 15-30 seconds to register a change. You can push on the edge of the dish a little and see what it does to the numbers.

it appears that 101 and 99 are the culprits is there a link I can find which adjustment move the dish for what satellite.? The issue is it's mounted on a pole and the ground just thawed out coupled with the wind. My SMW % was 95% the others are anywhere between 85 % to no reading at all. It's all messed up Only 119 has a great signal. If I knew which one was which it would help greatly. I don't think I moved a lot because I still have some stations

99 and 103 are ka signals. 101, 110, and 119 are ku, which are more forgiving to misadjustments. You will have to use trial and error to see which way the dish has moved. Push slightly on each edge and note what happens to the signal levels.

If you figure it out, make sure the bolts are tightened down properly when done.
Winds should not move the dish.
This is why I use my impact to tighten the dish to the mast every time.

Also, the ground thawing should not have done this ....
Is the pole in Concrete ?

Didn't even think about this being on a pole.
Most poles are installed wrong.
If it is, this is one thing I will say you better do it yourself because most techs will not ever do it correctly.
There is a propper way and it isn't common sense so ask how if you need to.

Didn't even think about this being on a pole.
Most poles are installed wrong.
If it is, this is one thing I will say you better do it yourself because most techs will not ever do it correctly.
There is a propper way and it isn't common sense so ask how if you need to.

Chances are, IF this is the case, nothing was put in the bottom to keep it from twisting.....
Of course I've also seen a lot of installs that never use Concrete ....
Kind of a waste of time if your not going to use it.

They are all (Slimlines) supposed to have 150lbs of concrete on them. None around here like that. Many use just enough to pass QC..sticking a rod of some kind in the ground at the base to see if any is there. Depth is as critical as anything. The deeper the better of course. I mount the foot that would be used for roof mount to the base of the pole with self tapping screws to prevent it from twisting. It ain't rocket surgery.

You of course have some data to back this statement up, yes?

Have I gone around and taken physical data to come up with an exact percentage?

No

Have I pulled enough up to know?

Yes

So, what "data" other then years of experience in the field would you like?

They are all (Slimlines) supposed to have 150lbs of concrete on them. None around here like that. Many use just enough to pass QC..sticking a rod of some kind in the ground at the base to see if any is there. Depth is as critical as anything. The deeper the better of course. I mount the foot that would be used for roof mount to the base of the pole with self tapping screws to prevent it from twisting. It ain't rocket surgery.

Exactly

Considering spec is a 3ft deep bell shaped hole with 150 lbs of quick set concrete ($15 worth) and you are supposed to do this for free, I can't blame the techs for not caring if the pole mount is proper or not. I am not saying it is right for techs to take this attitude, but when it takes $15 and a lot more work to do a proper pole mount for no extra pay because people won't pay custom labor charges and D*/E* won't let you charge them, then it is what it is.

I just flatten the pole out myself and I still dig a fairly deep hole, but I am not spending $15 on concrete.
I did when I could charge for them but when custom pole mount fees were stopped, I could no longer afford to do spec pole mounts.
(BTW, I still put a lot more concrete on it then most people do)
However, most techs I know will only put 20lbs or less (some none at all) on a pole and although I strongly disagree with this, I don't blame them at all.

Exactly

Considering spec is a 3ft deep bell shaped hole with 150 lbs of quick set concrete ($15 worth) and you are supposed to do this for free, I can't blame the techs for not caring if the pole mount is proper or not. I am not saying it is right for techs to take this attitude, but when it takes $15 and a lot more work to do a proper pole mount for no extra pay because people won't pay custom labor charges and D*/E* won't let you charge them, then it is what it is.

I just flatten the pole out myself and I still dig a fairly deep hole, but I am not spending $15 on concrete.
I did when I could charge for them but when custom pole mount fees were stopped, I could no longer afford to do spec pole mounts.
(BTW, I still put a lot more concrete on it then most people do)
However, most techs I know will only put 20lbs or less (some none at all) on a pole and although I strongly disagree with this, I don't blame them at all.

20 lbs, where do you buy such a small quantity ?
Most bags START at 80 lbs.

You can buy 40, 60, 80 lb bags of concrete
Quick set comes in 50lb bags.

But who said they have to empty the bag?
I know of many that get 4 pole mounts out of a single 80lb bag and some who use less if anything at all.

Have I gone around and taken physical data to come up with an exact percentage?

No

Have I pulled enough up to know?

Yes

So, what "data" other then years of experience in the field would you like?

You said most poles are installed incorrectly. Since that is obviously wrong, I was wondering where you got your information from.

What is "obviously" incorrect about what I said or are you just trying to start another argument with me?

I know half the techs around here and none of them do a spec pole mount.
I also have pulled several up and have never pulled one up that was spec.

Most a sufficient but none are spec.

What is "obviously" incorrect about what I said or are you just trying to start another argument with me?

I know half the techs around here and none of them do a spec pole mount.
I also have pulled several up and have never pulled one up that was spec.

Most a sufficient but none are spec.

I'm not a tech, so I don't know what is spec and what isn't. I do know that you don't need 150 lbs of concrete to properly install a dish. You may feel differently, but based on many of your previous posts, I don't put a whole lot of stock in your opinions. That's my opinion. Now maybe the installers in your area don't do the poles to your specs, but that doesn't mean they aren't done well enough. When you said most poles are installed incorrectly, that means more than half. How many services calls would you be getting for signal loss if more than half of the poles were installed wrong? Wouldn't those techs have to be retrained? That would be a huge mess that quite frankly I don't think is happening. The bottom line is that I think you were exaggerating and got caught and now are getting your dander up. JMHO.

I'm not a tech, so I don't know what is spec and what isn't.

So as I thought, you are just trying to pick a fight with something you obviously know nothing about.

Thanks for proving that you really should just not have commented.

I do know that you don't need 150 lbs of concrete to properly install a dish.

I will agree and disagree as it really depends on what type of soil it is in and where the freeze line is.
However, see as you just admitted you know nothing about this, I won't get it to it with you.

You may feel differently, but based on many of your previous posts, I don't put a whole lot of stock in your opinions. That's my opinion.

Funny how my opinion is backed up with actual knowledge of the job and from experience and yours is backed up with......well, nothing at all.

Now maybe the installers in your area don't do the poles to your specs,

LOL, not my specs buddy they are specs set by D*

but that doesn't mean they aren't done well enough. When you said most poles are installed incorrectly, that means more than half. How many services calls would you be getting for signal loss if more than half of the poles were installed wrong? Wouldn't those techs have to be retrained? That would be a huge mess that quite frankly I don't think is happening.

Well enough and spec is two different things and yes, I see a good bit of service issues with with improper pole mounts.

I also don't believe that "good" enough is always proper, but glad to see you accept mediocrity.

When you said most poles are installed incorrectly, that means more than half. How many services calls would you be getting for signal loss if more than half of the poles were installed wrong? Wouldn't those techs have to be retrained? That would be a huge mess that quite frankly I don't think is happening.

Just because it is improper does not mean it will cause a service issue or one that is immediately noticed.
It may take years before the first issue is noticed. Many times they are installed wrong and fixed before they were able to cause problems because the customer switched services or upgraded. Sometimes they even just get lucky.

However, no, if you have seen half the slop I have seen they don't "retrain" people for things like this.
But of course you have not and by you own admission know nothing about it anyways.

The bottom line is that I think you were exaggerating and got caught and now are getting your dander up. JMHO.

LMAO, this is the funnest thing you have said yet.

I can back myself with fact and experience and yet you just admitted none of either and I am the one who "got caught" making an improper statement. Look in the mirror buddy and you will see who is "caught"

To sum it up, thanks for proving that all you were doing was trying to pick a fight with something you obviously know nothing about.

Have a nice day and please, feel free to start another argument with be but next time make it something you at least have a small clue about.

Like I said, your previous posts show a lack of knowledge regardless of your job title. You can believe what you want to, it doesn't matter to me. I have been involved with electronics for nearly 40 years, quite likely much longer than you have been alive. I have an extensive working knowledge of building practices so I know how to install a pole just fine, thank you. In fact, I installed mine almost five years ago and I have never had signal issues due to the pole. You came here in December and quite quickly showed your lack of knowledge in several areas. We had to slow you WAY down so you wouldn't be telling other newbies the wrong information. You are doing pretty good in that regard now. You would do well to try and improve some of your other skills, too. Again, JMHO.

LOL, at you.

Slow me down? HAhaha you give yourself way too much credit.
I have not slowed down. I am just not snowed in anymore.
But whatever keeps you going there buddy.

Anyone here I am sure can see you are just trying to pick a fight.

You post here trying to prove me wrong in an area that you admittedly know nothing about and then talk about my personal skills.

You have nothing.

JMHO:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)