Winding down with Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I've heard of two programs back to back on the same channel record with only one tuner and keep the overlaps intact by using software to duplicate the end of the first program onto the beginning of the second program. Doesn't / didn't DTV tuners do this as some point instead of a hard cut from one program to the next?

Yes, this is the behavior I had with the HR54. Obviously, I don't have to worry about it with the Hopper3. I don't recall how the 722 worked.

Yes, this is the behavior I had with the HR54. Obviously, I don't have to worry about it with the Hopper3. I don't recall how the 722 worked.
I could go into detail how the 722 does it, but since it's pretty much a dead receiver (ViP RIP), I'll just say it either did a hard cut or used two tuners.

Reactions: ncted
I could go into detail how the 722 does it, but since it's pretty much a dead receiver (ViP RIP), I'll just say it either did a hard cut or used two tuners.

That's right. That is not ideal. If that is what the AirTV does, that won't work for us.

Reactions: TheKrell
Well, I've tried to quit before, but this time I'm really doing it. No hard feelings, no complaints- just time to move on. I'm out of contract and I've decided that between OTA, FTA, Netflix, Youtube TV, and my soon-to-be-delivered AirTV, I figure I can save myself $20+ bucks a month by cutting the Dish cord.

It's been fun, it's been a great 20 years, but I just don't find myself using the service anymore, except to watch movies on the DVR (most of which I have blu-ray copies of, anyhow).

I'll still be lurking around these parts and trying to help other users, as long as you'll have me :D

PS- I have an owned Wally, a dual tuner AirTV dongle (works on the Wally), 2 of the orange Hopper 3 nodes and 2 "54" remotes for sale if anybody is interested.

This is more of a general question on this. With all the talk of "Cord cutting", I always wondering what people thinks this really means - many people call this out and still say they are using Hulu, Youtube, etc... but how are they actualyl doing this? For many, it is still hooked into a cable, Fiber or twisted pair of cables.
I think it is often outrageous that people are spending $100+ for satellite TV and another 80+ for cable service (for their internet only). In all, this is $180 (just using my own personal accounts for reference).
Like you noted, there are not many shows I cannot live without - Big Bang and Walking Dead, yes, 2 of my favorites, but yes, they are still available on other sources. If I dropped my satellite and added netflix and a couple other items to my system, I might have to jump through different hoops to watch my shows, but if I go from $180 to $120 a month, does this make the transition easier?

More often than not, I am downloading shows to my tablet and watching a couple things while I ride the trains to work! Get home, I spend more time working in the office than I do actually watching TV (and even there, I might have my tablet in front of me to listen to a show while I work!

This is more of a general question on this. With all the talk of "Cord cutting", I always wondering what people thinks this really means - many people call this out and still say they are using Hulu, Youtube, etc... but how are they actualyl doing this? For many, it is still hooked into a cable, Fiber or twisted pair of cables.
I think it is often outrageous that people are spending $100+ for satellite TV and another 80+ for cable service (for their internet only). In all, this is $180 (just using my own personal accounts for reference).
I think the general thought is that the Internet service is going to be there whether you use it for streaming TV programming or not. So going to a combination of OTA and streaming really does cut the cable/satellite TV cord, and typically does it at no additional cost for Internet service. The likelihood is that even if you elected to go totally without TV, you would probably still keep your cable Internet service...

I think it is often outrageous that people are spending $100+ for satellite TV and another 80+ for cable service (for their internet only). In all, this is $180

I've got it down to ~$50 per month, which is what I pay my ISP for broadband. I get the Youtube TV subscription for free from my work, then supplement it with the other services I like (MLB.tv on Roku, Ku band satellite TV, and the AirTV).

I think you'd just want to write down a list of your must-have's, then locate the best service that carries most or all of those. If it's a couple of different services, that's Ok, but in my experience, once I've subscribed to a lot of services, it becomes "content overload" and I can't keep track of it all.

Even though it comes down to your personal preference, there are a lot of a-la-carte options available today, and OTA is making a nice resurgence as well.

I might have missed it in this thread, but did you sell your old equipment ? I returned everything except for the (single-tuner) OTA dongle that I want to get rid of now.... If you sold yours, where did you do that ?

Unless DISH starts offering full ala cart ,which I doubt they will, this will be the last year with satellite on my main account. I now use the Tablo 4 tuner ota dvr for my locals, so that saves $12.00 a month and it works great with good picture quality on all my ota channels. I can use Philio tv app for most of the channels my wife watches and records and the app has unlimited recording for $16.00 a month. The only other thing I need is an ott solution that gives me the few channels I watch including news channels and I would be set . I just don't see paying the $15.00 dvr fee + the $7.00 joey fee = $22.00 a month just in fees to watch tv. When December rolls around I will look again to see how much it would cost to add the packs and cut off the satellite.

Unless DISH starts offering full ala cart ,which I doubt they will, this will be the last year with satellite on my main account. I now use the Tablo 4 tuner ota dvr for my locals, so that saves $12.00 a month and it works great with good picture quality on all my ota channels. I can use Philio tv app for most of the channels my wife watches and records and the app has unlimited recording for $16.00 a month. The only other thing I need is an ott solution that gives me the few channels I watch including news channels and I would be set . I just don't see paying the $15.00 dvr fee + the $7.00 joey fee = $22.00 a month just in fees to watch tv. When December rolls around I will look again to see how much it would cost to add the packs and cut off the satellite.

Once my last promotion expires, I will be paying more for equipment on Dish (1 Hopper, 2 Joeys) than programming (Welcome Pack). I could save around $3/month by going with OTA + OTT and get access to much more content that we currently just don't watch, but the UI differences and general experience of OTT live streaming aren't worth that as far as my wife is concerned.

Once my last promotion expires, I will be paying more for equipment on Dish (1 Hopper, 2 Joeys) than programming (Welcome Pack). I could save around $3/month by going with OTA + OTT and get access to much more content that we currently just don't watch, but the UI differences and general experience of OTT live streaming aren't worth that as far as my wife is concerned.
I think in most wive's cases they don't want to learn a new interface so they stick with what they know and have used. In my case we have had DISH for over 22 years and my wife had hell understanding how a Roku works with Tablo. The other day she complained that she couldn't get the roku to come up on the tv. I told her to turn off the A/v receiver and then back on and it would then be able to see the Roku again. She did it and then the Roku came up when she pushed the home symbol on the Roku remote control. She said: I shouldn't have to work that hard to see the Tablo. I told her it is rare that it happens and like all electronics sometimes you have to turn them off and on to reboot them. She is such a drama queen. :drama

I think in most wive's cases they don't want to learn a new interface so they stick with what they know and have used. In my case we have had DISH for over 22 years and my wife had hell understanding how a Roku works with Tablo. The other day she complained that she couldn't get the roku to come up on the tv. I told her to turn off the A/v receiver and then back on and it would then be able to see the Roku again. She did it and then the Roku came up when she pushed the home symbol on the Roku remote control. She said: I shouldn't have to work that hard to see the Tablo. I told her it is rare that it happens and like all electronics sometimes you have to turn them off and on to reboot them. She is such a drama queen. :drama

I may be starting to sound like a broken record here, but........ yet another reason I have dogs and not a wife :p

Roger that! My wife has her 40 remote for the bedroom tv and a 21.1 for the living room H3. Can’t get her to budge on those and I think learning another device might kill her. I gave up on teaching her the blue-ray player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)