Windows 8 OS,Tablet, New Win 8 PCs News Thread

Samsung tablet looks nice, and some potential synergy I'd think with wife's Note II when she gets it which is a plus.

Wish there were good comparisons of the ATIV, Vivotab and Surface.

Surface obviously trumps them all in terms of hardware, but Vivotab with free dock and GPS/NFC will have my money once I can find one to play with first.

Installed Win 8 last Friday on a virtual machine using parallels Mac. I installed SAS 9.3 on the desktop. First thing that you need to be aware is that if a program uses MS .net frame. The old versions of net framework are,not installed by default. You need to enable them by going to the control panel. I put the start menu back as it was suggested before. I will play more with it.

Installed Win 8 last Friday on a virtual machine using parallels Mac. I installed SAS 9.3 on the desktop. First thing that you need to be aware is that if a program uses MS .net frame. The old versions of net framework are,not installed by default. You need to enable them by going to the control panel. I put the start menu back as it was suggested before. I will play more with it.
Let me know how this works out for you. I still run a couple of windows apps occasionally and would like to know if there's any advantage to upgrading.

FWIW- Win 8 News item:

3:11a ET November 13, 2012 (MarketWatch)
UPDATE 1: Microsoft's head of Windows leaving company

Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) said late Monday that the head of its Windows division was leaving his post, effective immediately. Windows and Windows Live President Steven Sinofsky was leaving the company, with Julie Larson-Green, who worked on the development of Windows 7 and Windows 8, promoted to lead all Windows software and hardware engineering. Microsoft Chief Financial Officer Tami Reller was to take over "responsibility for the business of Windows," the company said in a statement. Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said: "As I looked at the technical and business skills required to continue our Windows trajectory ... it was clear to me that Julie is the best possible person for this job." The shake-up followed last month's launch of Windows 8, with The Wall Street Journal reporting that "Sinofsky's sudden departure is likely to raise questions about the success of Windows 8 and about his relationship with" Ballmer, and quoting unidentified people close to Microsoft as saying Sinofsky suffered from an "inability to collaborate with other senior executives."

Disclosure- I own a small position in MSFT hoping for a growth to mid 30's next year with release of Surface Pro. If not, the company has good cash position and pays a dividend for long term income. I don't plan to increase position unless the stock gets down to $25.50. Political current events has all stocks down but MSFT is down a dollar a share on this news this morning.

Yeah I could see them adding it back as well to the Desktop to me it's not that big of a deal do to most folks will only be at their desktop to run certain desktop apps the rest of the time you can do everything at the new start up screen with the Apps there..

Finally got my hands on a vivotab, but nobody at best buy knew the password to unlock it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

What! Well that sucks no one knew the password seems like alot of the tablets are on backorder due to the demand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts