Windows 8 OS,Tablet, New Win 8 PCs News Thread

What do you mean by "rest machine?" Are you a developer or do you have some other connection to MIcrosoft?

I'm running Windows 8 release preview as I type on my new Celeron G540 test box. The boot speed is faster than previous versions of windows only maybe out done by a virgin install of XP. The bellyaching over the lack of a start button is overdone. Within a few minutes of exploring you will figure out that much of Windows 7 is still there just requiring some new mouse movements to find it. I have had little issue with older software and only my wireless card required finding a windows 7 driver.

Internet Explorer 10 does have a few issues with the Satellite Guys site. I tried to make another paragraph in the last post and it didn't work and some how it posted. Also some of the games in the arcade will take a full core of the CPU and slow to a crawl. It could be an ad issue too. I really dislike the Metro or tile version of IE as it is missing a lot of features. I tried to play a video on a web page and it would not work. The weather tile app is nice but most of the others I find to be invasive and annoying. Also new program installs add uninstall tiles to the start page which is highly irritating. I probably would buy Windows 8 for a permanent install but only if it is cheaper than Windows 7. The tiles just don't do it for me and seem more like a money grab by Microsoft to get you to buy their approved apps at the Microsoft App Store.

I downloaded it from TechNet today. I need to reimage my main Windows desktop, but I need to evaluate Windows 8 in a VM before I decide to install it on my main computer.

I upgraded my primary desktop from Windows 7 to 8. Using Metro (or whatever it will ultimately end up being called) on the iPad is really neat, and I hope that kind of support gets better.

I wish I could address a 'portable desktop' the same way I can address my second monitor, as a 'device'. Let the computer run it as a different screen and everything, drag icons to it, etc, but let Splashtop render it on the iPad.

Because I have an iPad 2 so my resolution is relatively low Windows 8 blocks the cool dual-app display and stuff.

If Windows 8 RT tablets truly release at $199, might be getting one.

I will be downloading it tomorrow!

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

I have had the preview since the day it came out. Been letting my kids play around with it, 5 and 6 year old. It is easier for them to use. I have not had any issues with it so far and will be buying the upgrade to it for my main machine, and probably my laptop. along with a copy of the new office when it hits as well. I think at the price point that they are going to make the upgrade available for it is well worth the upgrade. I still have to install the latest version of Autodesk Inventor Suite on it to make sure it works fine, but I know a couple people that are running it and they said they have no issues so I am hopeful.

I just read today that Microsoft will offer Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $40 until January 2013 starting at the end of October.

I hope the upgrade trick still works.

I downloaded the RTM and tried installing it in Virtual PC - a no go! :(
Windows 8 is not compatible with Virtual PC at all!
Later today I am going to try it in Hyper-V - that is supposed to work.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

I downloaded the 32 bit version using my MSDN subscription and did an upgrade install on my netbook that was running win7 home premium. No problems with the install, except finding where I had put the portable dvd drive:p. A couple of old programs had to be uninstalled due to incompatibility. Had to tweak the registry to allow a 1024x768 screens to run "metro". Runs well so far and does not bog down this machine with the original pipsqueak processor. I may change my mind as I get used to it, but this interface really sucks. I think I'll pass on installing it on my desktop for a while. It may well go down in history as Bob Jr.

It appears something is wrong with the Technet "Pro" versions. You cannot install Media Center. It keeps saying the Product Key is incorrect. I had planned on installing this on my main HTPC after some testing in VMWare. Looks like its a no-go for now.

Even if you do not want to install it right away, it is best to buy the upgrade in the first 3 months when it is substantially discounted.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=25477

Back in early July, Microsoft announced that Windows 8 Pro would be made available for $39.99 via a download option. Those with slow internet connections (or those that just prefer to have fancy physical media) would have to fork over $69.99 to upgrade to Microsoft's latest operating system.

There's just one catch, however. The $69.99 pricing for the retail box copy is only available during Microsoft's "promotional period" which ends on January 31. After that point, according to The Verge, the price will jump to $199. To add to the confusion, Microsoft will also offer a Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro upgrade option in retail stores priced at $69.99 during the promotional period -- this price will then jump to $99 afterwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)