Windows 8 OS,Tablet, New Win 8 PCs News Thread

I really don't miss the Start button that much & haven't downloaded that app yet, many times my pc boots to my desktop instead of the tiles anyway.

Yeah I always pin the main desktop apps to my taskbar anyway I don't like a cluster of desktop shortcuts. Most people will spend most of their time on the new start screen using Apps anyway to find out about the news,sports,music so forth. The Desktop will only be used to do business like things so to me I think people will start seeing this that it's easier to use Apps on the new Start Screen for their day to day things.

Good move if it happens.

My brother was just in a Verizon store yesterday and the guy showed him one they got in to play with to get use to before they start selling it....its coming now the question is will it be a wifi model only sold with a hotspot, or will it be a LTE version... I want one though :D

I am still most likely getting one. Not interested in a LTE version and another plan since my current plan already supports hotspot.

I won't even start to think about getting one until the Pro comes out and at that point it will most likely be to expensive for an alternative for me. The RT version is not going to make it and I have a feeling once most people really understand what they get with the RT version they will be very disappointed.

For my personal use, the RT will be fine. I wont use a tab for "heavy lifting" anyway, it is mainly a surfing and play device.

For any other uses, I will have my laptop at home or desktop at the office.

I won't even start to think about getting one until the Pro comes out and at that point it will most likely be to expensive for an alternative for me. The RT version is not going to make it and I have a feeling once most people really understand what they get with the RT version they will be very disappointed.

As long as people understand that RT is equivalent to iPad/Android tablets I think it will be fine. Those products demonstrate the viability, just a matter of consumer education.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For my personal use, the RT will be fine. I wont use a tab for "heavy lifting" anyway, it is mainly a surfing and play device.

For any other uses, I will have my laptop at home or desktop at the office.

I don't need the "heavy lifting" either but the problem will come when individuals try to download and install a program and find it is not compatible. One Windows device is compatible with Windows applications and the other isn't. How many companies will make their programs available for the RT version?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-8-Sales-Microsoft-OS,19184.html

Windows 8 well below sales expectations. Consumers are confused that they cannot run windows programs on RT.

He also refers to Windows 8 being "confusing" due to its mix of touch and a Windows 7 desktop. The simultaneous release of Windows 8 Pro and Windows RT also caused issues, apparently. While Windows 8 Pro can run older Windows software, Windows RT is unable to do so, which "doesn't make a lick of sense."

Despite the apparent lack of buzz surrounding the OS, as well as a $1.5 billion investment in advertising and marketing, four million units were sold in its first three days of availability.

Maybe they will bring back the start button and call it Windows 8S and boost sales. A lot of people I talk to in business are not interested in having to retrain everyone on a new UI. They really should have kept the start button and old interface available for a transition period.

I dread the day we ever consider moving up to Win 8.

I'm so used to the start button that I felt lost using the RC when I had it installed.

I'm so used to the start button that I felt lost using the RC when I had it installed.

that has a super easy fix with stardock. i felt the same as you but i'm loving win8 now.

that has a super easy fix with stardock. i felt the same as you but i'm loving win8 now.

But you would never deploy that in a large corporate environment. Great for the home user or small business but not very appealing for a 15K+ user environment.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-8-Sales-Microsoft-OS,19184.html

Windows 8 well below sales expectations. Consumers are confused that they cannot run windows programs on RT.

Maybe they will bring back the start button and call it Windows 8S and boost sales. A lot of people I talk to in business are not interested in having to retrain everyone on a new UI. They really should have kept the start button and old interface available for a transition period.

4 million in 3 days isnt good? Also this article is talking about two different things...A. PC Hardware is the main point of the article and it might be lower as windows 8 runs on older hardware, better then lets say windows 7, but then that last sentence is thrown in talking about OS itself (upgrades) and talks about how many they sold despite people knowing at that time it was really released (as in its doing good) so hardware sales are down, OS is doing fine! This is very confusing...yes Dell and them might be down, but Microsoft windows 8 seems to be doing fine.

it took me all of two days to get use to not having a start button, now I zip around like crazy in windows 8 and actually enjoy the two different enviroments.

Same. At first I just avoided it, which was easy to do, an only used the new UI to search (which is fantastic in 8). Now I am comfortable using both, even do the app multitasking quite frequently.

Looking forward to my Vivotab, though I'm second guessing it and may consider other W8 devices before pulling the trigger. Either way, have to decide on a buyer for my 32gb Wifi iPad 2 first too, looks like selling it for ~$300 won't be difficult.

Yeah... Acer Iconia W700. That will be my next tablet, if only places could keep it in stock. Would really like to be able to use it before buying too. Thankfully there've been some helpful videos on Youtube for it, from reviews to installing Steam and gaming on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts