Windows XP End of Support

well, when they stopped support for win98SE, there was a KNOWN vulnerability. No massive attack followed. And shortly after there was a 3rd party work around. Can't remember specifics, but it didn't entail much, nor affect 98 detrimentally. Some windows exclusive 'feature'* turned off. If there IS an Xp vulnerability, it's unknown, as of now.
*Something akin to windows 'activeX' (which I turned off before I ever used that machine on the Internet) Made a lot of money fixing machines infected because it was ON.
I've heard, many times: "An unpatched, un-firewalled Win98 box will be compromised within minutes after simply connecting to the internet. " Hasn't happened. My win98 box has been on the net for days at a time up until the no so distant past. Might that be because the firewall in the router??
But since win98 has such a low % of users, why bother hacking into it, may be another logical reason.
Think the same will hold true for Xp.
If my 98 box gets hacked, I'll just reinstall it. (installation disks + the 3rd party patch file on hand)
Or try an old linux distro again. as it used to be a lab rat, getting many flavors of linux installed, reinstalled win, back to some linux flavor and backand forth many times. May log in here running an old version of KNOPPIX or Puppy (check the server logs, I may log in running 98 sooner or later)
Could do the same with your Xp install, or make an image of the HDD.
And what I tell everyone who stores important documents/ records/ etc. Make and keep a backup.
And if it's really important, make it 'off-site'.

sat guys maybe "rich guys" thought this thread would take off more.

the older unit i'm working with could not get to sp3 without using activeX.

know a guy still on sp2, now i've come to know he has not got a MS update since July 13, 2010. and he seems to be ok. wonder if he's better off staying with it ?
as most have long ago gone to sp3, and new attacks would go to sp3 users as they are the most out there. ....no

Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 ends on July 13, 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31

I'd recommend moving to 7 if you're still using XP. If you're still using XP because your computer is years and years old and might not run 7, you might just be waiting for a hardware failure anyway.

7 doesn't even need much to run. It can work pretty well on a Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM, and is great on a quad-core cpu with 4+GB. It takes a week or two to get used to some things right after the switch, but now I certainly don't miss XP.

Can I get Zorin OS to run like XP and also run my existing programs? Firefox, Audacity, on FAT32?

I heard 7 won't run on C:\ FAT32 partition.

What would you need a FAT32 partition for? Or Linux that mimics Windows?

I used to use utorrent and virtualdub (or maybe virtualdubmod) on 7. Firefox/Mozilla and Audacity both have Windows and GNU/Linux variants. Perhaps Zorin has some issues worked out, but I remember some years ago people were trying to develop a Linux with WINE integrated in it without much success.

Today I booted up an old laptop (current one has wifi issues) which, it turns out, hadn't been updated sine July 2011. Vista. 140+ updates and still grinding away at it hours later. I'll look into checking if it can upgrade to 7 later.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It would be nice if when Scott gets back he publishes (again) the percentages of logins by OS.

the older unit i'm working with could not get to sp3 without using activeX
You are doing SP3 via automatic updates or their update webpage. IF SP3 fails, I may have a solution if it has an AMD processor. http://myplace.frontier.com/~rojobo/computer/ProblemSolved.htm#SP2
I downloaded the update file(s) and burnt a disk. Took a bit of digging but found the download. Doesn't need activeX then.
Have installed wine in both my Ubuntu machines. Then installed (MS programs - .exe) Irfanview, Format factory, even google chrome. All operate as advertised. So have all the stand alone .exe programs that I need. Even the Openbox S9's editor. (File on USB-not via cable connection) Audacity, there is a linux version. I use it a lot.

Updates: windows has too many that are HUGE. Then this and that all need updating individually. Ubuntu handles all updates, system, flash, java, installed programs etc via one update manager. Also no nagging to reboot. It will silently wait for you to either turn it off for the day or reboot at your convenience.
About the only things that will not be updated are programs you do not get through the software center*. (*Think App store)

virtualdub - I used that a long time ago. Had to of been on a win98 machine. may have to check that prog again. That reminded me of another - winmorph.
Zorrin - Why fat32?
Wish there was a webcam prog like yawcam for linux.

with 20 -28% of online users still in xp systems. it makes little understanding of all this pushing them off the cliff. why in the name of a dollar have they not offered support for $$ a few years back ? to cover the cost of the workers at MS doing these updates. millions of users tipping $10- 25 a year should cover it...... no?
If people paid for support, they would likely expect to get it when they needed it and Microsoft clearly isn't prepared to do that. They dawdle along at their own pace fixing bugs that much smarter people have figured out how to embarrass them into fixing.

I recall some years ago, a part of MicroSoft was ordered by a judge to apply their own security fixes. Someone was harmed because they had not applied known and available fixes.

There are so many jerks out there today trying to steal your identity or empty your account. I'd upgrade.
This makes the huge and very flawed assumption that Microsoft can and will fix these bugs in the new version. If you look at the CERT vulnerability list, lots of the stuff that they fix in XP must also be fixed in Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012. The holes will always be there so we must rely on third party tools to cover them because Microsoft clearly isn't getting it done with each new release. When the third party security tools discontinue support there's your sign that it is time to stop using XP.

Microsoft support plus $2.25 will get you a cup of black coffee at Denny's.

It also handles memory much better than any previous version.
At the same time, it is much more memory hungry than any previous version.

XP used to recommend 128MB of RAM. Vista recommended 512MB of RAM. Windows 7 recommended 1GB of RAM. Windows 8 won't start with much less than 2GB of RAM. Is it management, or just roping off large parcels of memory?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)