Windows xp update failed

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
I just reinstalled XP sp3 on an old laptop. I installed IE8. Windows update isn't working. Is this the beginning of the end? I'm in the middle googling the problem and trying various things. Nothing's worked yet. There is a lot of bs advice around this.:mad:

I just did a rebuild last week. Going to Windows update froze the machine up. I rebooted and let it sit over night. The next day, auto updates were available for install.

Recently I had the same thing happen to me with my HP laptop that has XP SP3 on it. I started out with high processor loads which slowed the thing to a crawl. I decided to do a clean install thinking I had some kind of bug or virus. After the install I couldn't get it to update as well. I tried every fix I could find with Microsoft Support, but nothing worked. I decided to defrag the drive and low and behold the updates started to load. Still having the processor intermittently load up though. Updates took forever to complete. Still working on it......

Our XP computers at my work updated Wednesday morning with no problems, four Dells.
Those already have a certain number of updates installed though, correct? Usually a fresh install of xp, when you first run windows update, installs an updated version of update. I'm not getting that on this machine.

Just curious, did you format the hard drive as the first step before the OS installed? I found a bad file from the HP driver install CD on mine that was causing the high CPU loads. My laptop has a small Celeron processor that can't handle any huge resource hog. I use it for imaging purposes when out doing night sky photography. I connect my camera to the laptop so I can view images without having to down load the images from the memory card. That way I can adjust my camera settings on the fly.

I hesitate to say this, but if you didn't format the hard drive, you might consider, well, you know.......... Good luck with it! :)

No more XP updates on demand. Only XP SP3 gets updated and you get them when MS is ready to give them to you. Real PITA

I have just 4 more XP computers to upgrade. 3 of them being replace by a whole new box. One I will probably just upgrade to Win8 since I have a few of the $49 upgrades left.

Those already have a certain number of updates installed though, correct? Usually a fresh install of xp, when you first run windows update, installs an updated version of update. I'm not getting that on this machine.

Right, they were only doing current updates, not from fresh installs.

I have just 4 more XP computers to upgrade. 3 of them being replace by a whole new box. One I will probably just upgrade to Win8 since I have a few of the $49 upgrades left.

I wouldn't mind upgrading my laptop to W7 or 8 if it would be less of a resource hog for the old one.......

What I mean is an xp home install disk which includes sp3, also includes an upgrade to ie8 and includes all of the security updates to date for ie8 and xp.

I wasted a lot of time on this. I googled and googled and tried everything anyone recommended with no luck at all. I like to do a fresh install, leave updates off and install them all at once from the windows update site.

I finally gave up. I turned windows update on and let it sit for a few hours. Automatic updates seem to work fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)