Winegard 1 meter help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Delirium

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I'm hoping there are a few of you out there that are familiar with the Winegard 1 meter dish and the SG2100 motor. After setting everything up according to the SG2100 manual, my dish appears to be looking slightly downward. Is this right for my latitude (43 degrees)? Am I setting my elevations wrong? I have the motor set at 47 deg and the dish at 23.5 deg.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Motor and dish elevations are correct for your latitude. I am at 45 lat. check out the below post for some pictures of a set up at this lat. Its not the 1m dish but may help.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=173938#post173938

Remember on the SG2100 one side shows elevation and the other latitude ;)

After setting the motor elevation you should never need to touch it again. But the dish elevation can me moved slightly to peak the signal quality on your true south satellite.

Don't I feel like a fool...I didn't realize that there was a different scale on both sides. I was using latitude for my elevation. You've done it again, PSB :bow

I'll have to adjust the dish in the morning; I've had enough for a day. Thanks, once more, for your help :)

Well, I corrected my elevation setting on the motor but I still don't have any quality. I'm wondering if I have my dish pointed in the right direction. I have it pointed at 165 degrees for area code 83201. Does that sound right? If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks

I would suggest removing the motor from the scenario until you get some quality, just an idea!

Thanks PSB,

I actually started to set it up without the motor first, however, the way I have it mounted wouldn't allow it. Without the motor, the bottom of the dish hits one of the legs of my mount. I need that extra distance the motor provides in order for the dish to sit right.

Just to make sure I have everything set right, I'll tell you what I've done so far...

First, I made sure the pole was plumb; second, I have the motor in the 0 position pointing at 165 deg; motor elevation is at 47 (latitude at 43); third, set the scale on the dish to 23.5 deg.

Does it sound like I've done everything right or am I missing something?

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Since your pole is plumb and elevation is set accurately according to scale, chances are you need to make a slight adjustment to the azimuth (left/right) setting.

You may have to adjust the dish elevation to hit a satellite, but never change the motor elevation. Then with the motor in the zero position move the dish motor and all on the pole slightly east and west until you start to see signal quality, make sure you have a live TP./channel entered correctly on the receiver or you will never see quality. Maybe have another look at the below....

http://www.dmsiusa.com/documents/SG2100 easy manual.pdf

You are getting there!

PSB,

I did find out what was wrong on my setup. After calling Winegard and talking to tech support, I learned that the 1 meter dish uses a different method to set elevation. The tech informed me that on all the dishes they sell EXCEPT the 1 meter, you read the elevation using the red line on the bracket. However, with the 1 meter, the elevation must be set using the center of the bolt right below the elevation marks. Funny, I would have thought they would have had some explanation in the paperwork that came with the dish...but there was no mention of elevation setting at all.

So, I finally got it all set up right and I am picking up signals left and right (or should I say east and west). Thanks for all your help; I couldn't have done it without you sharing your knowledge. I look forward to sharing my future FTA finds with you and all the great people on this forum.

It pays to buy a quality product like Winegard that HAS customer support :)

Too many Cheapo dishes on the internet have questionable parentage :no

Thanks for sharing.

Delirium said:
However, with the 1 meter, the elevation must be set using the center of the bolt right below the elevation marks..

THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this - I will be putting up a 1 meter Winegard on a motor later this week and I bet you just saved me HOURS of frustration!

Thanks again,
Michael

Thanks for the info Delirium!

I have a HotDish that uses the centre bolt for elevation, but all my other dishes (Winegard, DirecPC) use the elevation marking

Thats the problem, not many folks want to pay the extra for the "American" made 1m Winegard dish, they are few and far between. Good choice of dish!

Glad I could be of at least a little help. You guys have done so much for me, its nice to feel like i've contributed a bit.

Delirium (or anyone else who has a 1m dish)
Where did you get them? I was looking at upgrading the 30" to the 1m, but really couldn't find anyone selling them reasonable. I did see a few 36" ones

Count me in, too! I'm looking for one to replace my 30" which is never able to get above 80% SQ on the IA5 from the west coast!

PSB seems to no longer sell that type of dish due to less market demand (I already asked !).

I know Pete (PSB) doesn't right now...heck, he lives about 25 miles from my house :)

I feel I need an upgrade...might have to rig the DirecPC dish to the motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)