Wineguard Dish Fell

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I got the dish. It’s 31 inches across and 32 inches tall. The LNB arm is bent and it has no elevation or skew scale. How would I find my elevation?
Image1520208991.555608.jpg
Image1520209004.861972.jpg
Image1520209014.915713.jpg
Image1520209027.598322.jpg
Image1520209036.818847.jpg

On my wineguard, I just used my iPhones built in elevation scale. Would that work with this dish, or do I need to calculate the offset angle?

Looks like the mount might be missing something, but should be easy to figure out a solution. Do you think the bend in the LNBF arm is intentional or accidental? I mean, that tube does not look like something that would get bent too easily. The problem is, that LNBF holder is not adjustable, so if the bent in the arm brings the LNBF even slightly away from the focal point, that could have a significant negative impact on performance.

The lack of scale should not be a big problem. If you have some kind of meter with audio indicator, like the cheap $6-7 things they sell on Amazon and elsewhere, use that to get an approximative aim at a satellite, and from there, hop to the next one until you reach your target, by adjusting the azimuth and small adjustments to the elevation. Not ideal but certainly not a show stopper.

Looks like the mount might be missing something, but should be easy to figure out a solution. Do you think the bend in the LNBF arm is intentional or accidental? I mean, that tube does not look like something that would get bent too easily. The problem is, that LNBF holder is not adjustable, so if the bent in the arm brings the LNBF even slightly away from the focal point, that could have a significant negative impact on performance.

The lack of scale should not be a big problem. If you have some kind of meter with audio indicator, like the cheap $6-7 things they sell on Amazon and elsewhere, use that to get an approximative aim at a satellite, and from there, hop to the next one until you reach your target, by adjusting the azimuth and small adjustments to the elevation. Not ideal but certainly not a show stopper.

No, just the mounting brackets. I have them getting refurbished. This dish is old. It was on a J-Pole on a tree and bark grew over the mount. I couldn’t get the mount off. It was down low, so maybe it was accidental. I don’t know if the tube is bent or it’s just bent on top. Is it a bad idea to hammer it down?

Is it a bad idea to hammer it down?
If you don't know if it is accidental, I wouldn't do that.

About finding your elevation: Is your question only for finding it (leaving the dish arm as it is),
or for checking the dish dimensions and position of focal point (to be able to adjust LNB to a better position)?

There are several ways of finding/calculating the offset angle, and calculating focal point...

greetz,
A33

At least your dish might be ok... I had a tree fall on one of my 1.2m dishes today, broke off the LNB arm and holder, and bent up the mount. Not sure how well the reflector itself fared, I suspect it's bent where the arm braces attach. . Lots of wind and heavy wet snow along with freezing rain. What a mess. Pictures at 11 (well maybe tomorrow at 11, too dangerous out there this evening).

Reactions: Phalaenopsis
I don’t know about my wineguard. It passes the string test from all directions on the reflector, but it has a bit of play on the concrete. Am I overthinking this?

My quality’s 54, but it used to be 66. Also, I switched stb’s. Could that be the reason? I can’t test the old stb because it’s fried.

How do you know the concrete is perfectly level/flat? It usually isn't.
Mine is badly warped now, might try to straighten it out but it's a fortec* I got on the cheap many years ago so it doesn't owe me much... Just a pain to find another one, and expensive for a new one!

bit of play on the concrete

Put it on a sheet of glass (window or sliding patio door) if you want to check it for irregularity.

Like waylew said, quality readings will vary with different boxes but it sounds like it must not be too bent if you are getting viewable signal...if it works, it works.

Just a pain to find another one, and expensive for a new one!
I know. I've been calling gas station, stores, and restaurants for their 1.2 meter dishes and everyone said NO. I really need one but I don't have $300 to spend on one.

What do you do for a living Alex? You had told me before. I was meaning can you make your own dish with what you laying around? Be like Macgyver use what you have.

Reactions: Phalaenopsis
I want a 1.2 meter dish so I can motorize it. So, I don’t think a homemade one would work

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts