Wingard crankup dish multi LNB mod.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Actually, all kidding aside, I haven't started the conversion and my not because of how little "live" Dish we watch. I just need FBN and CNBC real time and I think they are both on 110. The rest of what we watch is most always DVR or EHD programs brought from home.

Actually, all kidding aside, I haven't started the conversion and my not because of how little "live" Dish we watch. I just need FBN and CNBC real time and I think they are both on 110. The rest of what we watch is most always DVR or EHD programs brought from home.

I was hot to do the conversion when HD was split between 61.5 & 72.7 , especially NESN-HD. Like to watch a Sox game or two when RV'ing and the first trip of the year usually coincides with Bruins playoff time. I have the same setup at home, a D500 pointed at 61.5/72.7 - works fine. But in looking at "The List" now, I don't think I'd be missing anything by pointing at 72.7 only.

Oh, baseball! I forgot that this is the first season that the Padres may be on Dish since their games are now part of a Foxsports net channel. But this still doesn't mean I have to mod my single LNB crank up as ballgames all happen after the market closes so when I'm done with CNBC I can crank over to whatever bird has the game.

But who knows. If I run out of projects it would be fun to do the mod. And it would be sweet to be back on a two sat dish setup like I had for so many years. But now setup will be 5 minutes instead of 30 minutes and the dish wouldn't have to ride on our bed between stops.

A little late getting into this thread, but though my 2 cents may be of worth. I, too, camped many years with a Dish 500 and was pretty happy with it (on a tripod). Then, HD came along and as you know, most of that on 129. So, I bought a 1000.2 and started using that with my 211k. I agree with the above poster that a 1000.2 isn't any harder to align that the D500. I just use a cheap meter and cover the outer LNBs with tin foil. I also have the Dish Pointer app on my android and it gets me pointed in the right direction (pun intended). Since you were doing that already, you can figure the rest. And, I've never worried about theft, guess just the dish is not the real point with the "bad guys".

Then we got the itch to get a new 5th wheel and I had the Winegard Travler added to my purchase. After looking at the pictures of your "crank up", it looks like to me it's exactly like the Travler as far as the base goes. They are pretty "pricy" but it's totally automatic and done in about 5 minutes tops. So, replacing your crank up with a Travler would be a major improvement. Check Camping World, they had them on sale recently for about $1200. We even took the next step and just had the 5er done with the Hopper/Joey as well as the house and it works great with that setup.

Just sayin'

Then we got the itch to get a new 5th wheel and I had the Winegard Travler added to my purchase. After looking at the pictures of your "crank up", it looks like to me it's exactly like the Travler as far as the base goes. They are pretty "pricy" but it's totally automatic and done in about 5 minutes tops. So, replacing your crank up with a Travler would be a major improvement.

Just sayin'
I totally hear you.

If I were ever to buy another rig I'd have the dealer install an automatic system like Travler. However our camping days are drawing to a close and our trips are science field trips for the mrs. Me, I get to do a little off roading some mornings and have a perfect excuse to drink more in the afternoons while science girl is "in the field" with a load of camera's, binos, tripods GPS and a walkie in case she needs me to call the park rangers or the sheriff.

And 1200 bucks buys a few months of very good bourbon. Know what I'm sayin?

And like I said I just need real time market news till 1PM(west coast time.) Evenings we watch shows brought from home via EHD.

I totally hear you.

If I were ever to buy another rig I'd have the dealer install an automatic system like Travler. However our camping days are drawing to a close and our trips are science field trips for the mrs. Me, I get to do a little off roading some mornings and have a perfect excuse to drink more in the afternoons while science girl is "in the field" with a load of camera's, binos, tripods GPS and a walkie in case she needs me to call the park rangers or the sheriff.

And 1200 bucks buys a few months of very good bourbon. Know what I'm sayin?

And like I said I just need real time market news till 1PM(west coast time.) Evenings we watch shows brought from home via EHD.

You're not her pack mule? The HORROR! ;)

I agree with the above poster that a 1000.2 isn't any harder to align that the D500. I just use a cheap meter and cover the outer LNBs with tin foil.
Just sayin'
Other thing that is just particular to me; the trailer is what they call an "ultra-light" and the dealer was very adamant that the ultra-light roof can't handle a fat*ss like me climbing on it. So skew changing would be tough and while the 500 managed to split the difference and always pulled two birds in, three birds means you have to be sure your LNBs scribe a line that is tangent to the satellite arc at that particular location or you can have any two adjacent birds but not three (unless you only go north or south from home base).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)