Wired or Wireless Genie Mini Clients?

Carlos MineBoi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2020
La Quinta
I came in to ask what is the difference between Wired and Wireless Genie Mini Clients, and which one is more recommended.

And no, for Wireless Clients, I do not mean with using an HS17 Genie 2. I mean with a Wireless Video Bridge installed on an HR44 or HR54.

there's no wireless mini for 4k service that needs to be hardwired. they offered me the wireless mini. i told em that i don't need to roll my thv in the bathroom and i flatout refuse to pay the 99.00 fee for the upgrade for something that might work or might not work

I'd only take wireless if there is no coax to the location you need and it cannot be easily added. Wired is simply faster and more reliable. No 4K on wireless as John mentioned. Nothing wrong with wireless, it just adds to the response time when you start a show, skip ahead, etc., and can be less reliable depending on distance from the video base.

The Gemini box is still to new. Our neighbors got it and there having issues with it and there sony tv. Hopefully over time it will get better
Yes it's new and has a a few bugs but they're working on it, the last Genie CE software release has 5 fixes in it specifically that effect Gemini issue.

But that box does address the OP's of is there a wireless 4K mini client that will work with a WVB vs the internal WVB on the HS17, don't see anything that says it wouldn't. I've got mine set up as a wired connection but looking at Set up Gemini device over Wireless | DIRECTV Customer Service & Support it almost looks like it will use your own WiFi network vs the 'private' network that the WVB provides.

Reactions: John2021
We should mention too that the Gemini C71KW is new hardware that is invite only right now. DirecTV is inviting customers with an existing Genie and two or more clients to upgrade by invitation. It is not available to new or upgrading customers at this point, to the best of my knowledge.

Reactions: John2021
I got a bit of clarity on how the C71KW in wireless configuration works. For the initial setup the box requires an internet connection for doing the initial setup, but once the box has completed the setup it then will use the private network provided by ether the HS17’s internal WVB or an external WVB. So bottom line is the WVB network is still required for the wireless version of the C71KW.

We should mention too that the Gemini C71KW is new hardware that is invite only right now. DirecTV is inviting customers with an existing Genie and two or more clients to upgrade by invitation. It is not available to new or upgrading customers at this point, to the best of my knowledge.
When does it launch for everyone? When that happens will they change the requirements so you can just have one Mini and either the HR-54, 44 and HS-17?

When does it launch for everyone? When that happens will they change the requirements so you can just have one Mini and either the HR-54, 44 and HS-17?
we were told no charge but it also requires a one year contract.

Last edited:
i thought it was only for people with the HS-17