wireless ethernet adapter

Status
Please reply by conversation.
WGA54G

I would greatly appreciate any help in getting this thing to work. I connected it directly to my pc. I started the setup cd that it came with in order to set it up. I entered the SSID of my wireless router. I entered an IP address and the subnet mask. I entered 192.168.1.120 in the adapter setup and the router setup to use IP's in the range of 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.124 using DHCP. The default gateway in the setups greyed out so I was not able to enter anything there. I then connected it to the DTV receiver and went to the setup screen there and clicked on connect now but it did not work. I then used the advanced setup and entered all correct info including the DNS. It will still not work. One thing I noticed is the MAC address on the DTV setup screen is not the same on the back the wireless adapter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chad

I would greatly appreciate any help in getting this thing to work. I connected it directly to my pc. I started the setup cd that it came with in order to set it up. I entered the SSID of my wireless router. I entered an IP address and the subnet mask. I entered 192.168.1.120 in the adapter setup and the router setup to use IP's in the range of 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.124 using DHCP. The default gateway in the setups greyed out so I was not able to enter anything there. I then connected it to the DTV receiver and went to the setup screen there and clicked on connect now but it did not work. I then used the advanced setup and entered all correct info including the DNS. It will still not work. One thing I noticed is the MAC address on the DTV setup screen is not the same on the back the wireless adapter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chad

I'm having the same problems. :(

Can someone give me a name and model for a wireless ethernet adapter needed for the directv video on demand service.

I'm not sure what you mean by wireless "ethernet" adaptor. Are you going to be using ethernet cable or wireless to an adaptor that will connect to your DTV receiver? If you're going "ethernet", thats a pretty cheap connection (especially if you make your own ethernet cable). By that, I mean attaching the adapters on each side of the cable. I went that route and it works fine. You can buy pre-made ethernet cable at Home Depot with the adaptors already on the cable.

If you're going wireless, I suspect any wireless router will do the job. I'm using the Qwest DSL modem/wireless router and I suspect it would work fine IF I chose to go wireless. Instead, I'm using one of the 4 output ethernet connections directly to my DTV receiver which is about 35' away from my router.

This is the reason I never recommend using wireless for connecting a receiver and instead recommend HomePlug. Wireless is a real PITA for this application.

I'm not sure what you mean by wireless "ethernet" adaptor. Are you going to be using ethernet cable or wireless to an adaptor that will connect to your DTV receiver? If you're going "ethernet", thats a pretty cheap connection (especially if you make your own ethernet cable). By that, I mean attaching the adapters on each side of the cable. I went that route and it works fine. You can buy pre-made ethernet cable at Home Depot with the adaptors already on the cable.

If you're going wireless, I suspect any wireless router will do the job. I'm using the Qwest DSL modem/wireless router and I suspect it would work fine IF I chose to go wireless. Instead, I'm using one of the 4 output ethernet connections directly to my DTV receiver which is about 35' away from my router.

I think he's talking about a wireless to Ethernet bridge such as the Linksys WET54G and again I recommend using HomePlug and saving yourself the headaches.

I have DSL would I be able to hook up wireless so I could get the on demand service I have a wireless router from Verizon. Can anyone tell me is it worth the trouble..............Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)