wireless internet connection for vod

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you are at least a tech savvy, you can make the connection for about 40 dollars. Pick up a Buffalo modem from Circuit City. Download the DD-WRT firmware. Configure it as a Client Bridge, and you now have a 4 port "gaming" adapter. I just did this over the weekend, and I have XBox Live up and running. I am waiting for DoD to be available to me. It isn't really that difficult to do if you have patience. I have never worked with flashing new firmware, but this was fairly easy.

The US Robotics USB Adapter won't work because the USB Port on the HR20-700 is not active for wireless connections. You need a wired connection, which is why you need a gaming adapter or a wireless bridge. I did the conversion listed above because I didn't want to spend $100 on an XBox 360 wireless adapter and/or 75 for a gaming adapter. I can plug 4 devices into this bridge via ethernet cables, and the device can be moved to just about anywhere in my house.

I picked up a WET54G Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge a few months ago & it works great with my HR20-700. I think it was around 80 bucks. Just plugged it in & ran the CD. Done.

I have a new HR20-100 series, so don't have DOD at this point. Does the connection have to go through the ethernet port or could I just get a wireless USB WiFi plug? I already have a LinkSys WiFi in place.

Yes that one works. I have it. I also have a Bufflo one as well it also works.

Linksys - 802.11g Wireless Gaming Adapter - WGA54G

So, if I purchased this. I would hook this up to the HD DVR, and this wireless would work with my router that I already have hooked up to my computer??

I picked up a WET54G Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge a few months ago & it works great with my HR20-700. I think it was around 80 bucks. Just plugged it in & ran the CD. Done.[/QUOTE

Sounds good. Would you explain this to me like I'm 5? Does it connect with a router already in the house?

I have a Linksys Wireless-G that I use for my laptop. Would the bridge intergrate with it?

Yes. I have a WRT56G Wireless Router that I have my laptop & PS3 connected to also. I manually assign the bridge an IP address & the HR20 automatically configures itself to it. It was very easy. Even a 5 year old could do it, although they may get shocked putting in the power cord. Let me know if you need more info

Yes. I have a WRT56G Wireless Router that I have my laptop & PS3 connected to also. I manually assign the bridge an IP address & the HR20 automatically configures itself to it. It was very easy. Even a 5 year old could do it, although they may get shocked putting in the power cord. Let me know if you need more info

Thanks! I will.

jk

I have a -100 so I was just getting ready for DoD when they turn it on. I bought one of these to hook in to my network. Was connected in about 5 minutes. It is also great because it doesn't have just one ethernet port but 4!

Newegg.com - BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Ethernet Port Wireless-G MIMO Performance Ethernet Converter Up to 125Mbps Data Rates WPA-PSK(AES, TKIP), 128/64-bit WEP - Retail

I have two of these and they work great for connecting a HR20 or HR21. They are typically less expensive than gaming adapters (although a hacked router willl be cheaper yet). For media share, you need to update the firmware to version 2.53 (available on Buffalo's web site).

I have two of these and they work great for connecting a HR20 or HR21. They are typically less expensive than gaming adapters (although a hacked router willl be cheaper yet). For media share, you need to update the firmware to version 2.53 (available on Buffalo's web site).

Thanks for the heads up about the media share. I'll have to check that out!

What is the purpose

these may be dumb questions:
1.) Why would I want my Hr20-600 on the internet??
2.) If I get the gameing adaptor to put it on the internet where do I put the cd to install the drivers? and how does that info get to my HR20?
3.) Now I do have a XBOX 360 next to my HR20 which both items are to far from my computer router to want to run cables even though i am currently wireless?

I am fairly computer literate I build and sell the things as a hobby, I guess I am just not up on why I would want to do these things!!!

these may be dumb questions:
1.) Why would I want my Hr20-600 on the internet??
2.) If I get the gameing adaptor to put it on the internet where do I put the cd to install the drivers? and how does that info get to my HR20?
3.) Now I do have a XBOX 360 next to my HR20 which both items are to far from my computer router to want to run cables even though i am currently wireless?

I am fairly computer literate I build and sell the things as a hobby, I guess I am just not up on why I would want to do these things!!!

1.)The reason is for On Demand programing.

2.)Set the ip up through your PC for DHCP or set the IP to what you want. You would also need to add any security you have on your router. WEP address and things like that.

3.)You would need a Buffalo gaming adapter seeing as it has 4 ports.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)