Wireless Joey Troubles

DawnB

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Ripley, TN
Anyone have one of these and have trouble with it connecting to the Wireless Access Point? We had these installed in April and about 2 months in, they started having periods of time where they would go into a cycle of not connecting to the WAP over and over and over again. Nothing I did would make it stop, but then all of a sudden, it would stop and be fine for a week or longer, and then it would start that seemingly endless cycle of losing connection and trying to reconnect for HOURS.

MANY calls to tech support, and they even sent a tech out a few months back and they were not able to figure out what is wrong. Then it stopped for a while, and now it’s back. I’m tired of having to pull furniture to unplug my Hopper 3 every time it does this, but they won’t troubleshoot it any other way.

Anyone have one of these and have trouble with it connecting to the Wireless Access Point? We had these installed in April and about 2 months in, they started having periods of time where they would go into a cycle of not connecting to the WAP over and over and over again. Nothing I did would make it stop, but then all of a sudden, it would stop and be fine for a week or longer, and then it would start that seemingly endless cycle of losing connection and trying to reconnect for HOURS.

MANY calls to tech support, and they even sent a tech out a few months back and they were not able to figure out what is wrong. Then it stopped for a while, and now it’s back. I’m tired of having to pull furniture to unplug my Hopper 3 every time it does this, but they won’t troubleshoot it any other way.

Do you have more than one WAP? (We had THESE installed) and are you saying unplugging the Hopper 3 fixes the problem? Do you have more than one Joey and do they all lose the connection?

Do you have more than one WAP? (We had THESE installed) and are you saying unplugging the Hopper 3 fixes the problem? Do you have more than one Joey and do they all lose the connection?

We have only one WAP. When I said “these” I meant the wireless Joeys and WAP. We have 2 wireless Joeys and a Hopper 3. BOTH Joeys lose connection at the same time. When it happens, they get an error code message #1553 that lists a whole bunch of things to do. If, for example, the hubby is asleep, and therefore doesn’t do anything, it will eventually (most times) find the connection on its own and start back up....but just keeps doing it over and over at different times. One time it might stay up for 30 minutes, another time it does it after 5 minutes. I found that one time, when I unplugged both Joeys, then the WAP and then the Hopper, it seemed to fix it for about a week, but now we are back at the random rolling reboots, as I now affectionately call them.

BTW.....I came into the bedroom (where one of the Joeys is) tonight at 12:35. It froze up and got the error just as soon as I got in bed. Happened again at 12:56, and now again at 1:28.

And again at 1:45. I can’t deal. I’m going to sleep. It’s going to take a lot of patience when the tech shows up at 10am. <sigh>

And again at 1:45. I can’t deal. I’m going to sleep. It’s going to take a lot of patience when the tech shows up at 10am. <sigh>
I also suffered through this. The solution, which Dish never thought to address, was a new node. After two replacement WJs and several calls, they finally sent a Tech, who I convinced to test the node. It was bad, and also affecting signal strength to H3, Now I only lose connection maybe one every couple of weeks if that. If problem would still persist, you've go a bad WAP...which Dish will not send a replacement for.

Reactions: charlesrshell
On the plus side if it is set up and running correctly you should rarely if ever lose the connection, my daughter has yet to lose it.
A bad node is certainly something it can be as KAB said.
Can you/the tech move the WAP to a little different location? Maybe away from a wall/in a more open place?

I also suffered through this. The solution, which Dish never thought to address, was a new node. After two replacement WJs and several calls, they finally sent a Tech, who I convinced to test the node. It was bad, and also affecting signal strength to H3, Now I only lose connection maybe one every couple of weeks if that. If problem would still persist, you've go a bad WAP...which Dish will not send a replacement for.
Why would there be a node on a Hopper 3?

Try this at the Joeys with the Hopper remote, assuming it's a 40 remote. I'll have to see if I can find how to do it with a 52 or 54 remote

1. Press and hold SAT until all lights illuminate
  2. Release SAT
  3. Press and hold INPUT for four seconds
  4. Release INPUT, remote will beep and light up
    • 2+ lights illuminated indicates adequate signal
    • If less than two lights illuminate, relocate WJAP and Wireless Joey closer together, a HIC may be necessary
  5. Press SELECT to exit LQI mode

Try this at the Joeys with the Hopper remote, assuming it's a 40 remote. I'll have to see if I can find how to do it with a 52 or 54 remote

2. Release SAT
    • If less than two lights illuminate, relocate WJAP and Wireless Joey closer together, a HIC may be necessary
What is LQI mode?

How far away is the wireless access point from the Joeys? I've had to move the access point around to different places to try to get it a better signal to the other rooms.

2. Release SAT
This is a procedure to check the signal strength of the remote to a Hopper or Joey. I thought it sounded familiar and found it in the deep forgotten files in my laptop. This procedure has been around for a while. How does it have anything to do with the distance between a JWAP and Wireless Joey? This procedure also works for a 54.0 remote so I would presume it would work for a 52.0 remote too.

This is a procedure to check the signal strength of the remote to a Hopper or Joey. I thought it sounded familiar and found it in the deep forgotten files in my laptop. This procedure has been around for a while. How does it have anything to do with the distance between a JWAP and Wireless Joey? This procedure also works for a 54.0 remote so I would presume it would work for a 52.0 remote too.
Because it's the same thing, the distance from the Hopper, if that's where the WAP is to the Joeys, which is why you want to use the Hopper's remote.

For the 52/54, same procedure. If SAT/TV/AUX light up with a fast beep, perfect. AUX/TV - fast beep very good. Slow beep not so good, and AUX only light, poor

Because it's the same thing, the distance from the Hopper, if that's where the WAP is to the Joeys, which is why you want to use the Hopper's remote.

For the 52/54, same procedure. If SAT/TV/AUX light up with a fast beep, perfect. AUX/TV - fast beep very good. Slow beep not so good, and AUX only light, poor
OK, I think I get it. Thanks

When I had a wireless joey and that happened it ended up being the wap and my internet router were close together and using the same channel and changing the channel on my internet router fixed the issue and I never lost the signal on the wireless joey again

When I had a wireless joey and that happened it ended up being the wap and my internet router were close together and using the same channel and changing the channel on my internet router fixed the issue and I never lost the signal on the wireless joey again
Mine neither close or on same channel. And if a WAP is coming off a HIC, there has to be node to get to the HIC, That was my resolved problem..bad node.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)