Wireless Joey

Driftwood

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Atlanta
I did a search so apologies if this has been asked before.

Longtime customer with latest 3rd gen. Hopper with Sling & two wired Joeys with 3 4K TV's. I also have gigabit internet. I understand they are not 4K but I'm planning to wall mount 2 flat screens and would avoid a wire on each if went with Wireless Joeys. Would appreciate your expertise to answer a couple of questions:
1) Are they bandwidth hogs?
2) Any time lag/buffering or other issues
3) Your opinion, would you recommend a Wireless Joey vs. Wired Joey

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I have 1 wireless joey that works fine, but it is not tied to my internet
It has it's own network
no idea how to set up with the internet...………..but mine probably isn't fast enough anywai
If dish had a 4k wireless joey, I would definitely go for that

Reactions: pattykay
Wireless Joeys work with a separate Wireless Joey Access Point that plugs directly to your Hopper to feed the WJs via its own wireless network...so it's not robbing bandwidth from your existing wireless home network. Not sure which flavor of wired Joeys you have now, but performance-wise, the Wireless Joey is on par with the wired Joey 2. It's usable, but slower than a Hopper 3 or a wired Joey 3.

Something else that may be pertinent to your wall-mounting situation...the Wireless Joey is a completely different shape and is made to sit upright on a table or shelf. It does not come with a wall mount, nor does its concave shape lend itself to being wall mounted easily.

1601326834912.png 1601326803644.png

Reactions: olds403
I don't know how fast a Joey 2 is but the wireless Joey is very slow to use compared to a Hopper 3, Joey 4K, or Joey 3. I wouldn't reccomend it unless your solution necessitates wireless.

I don't know how fast a Joey 2 is but the wireless Joey is very slow to use compared to a Hopper 3, Joey 4K, or Joey 3. I wouldn't reccomend it unless your solution necessitates wireless.
If you've used a Wireless Joey, then you know how fast a Joey 2 is. ;)

Good grief! Would one of those wireless dongles work in a J3? One of my J3's is on wired Ethernet only (no MoCA) and it works great.

I did a search so apologies if this has been asked before.

Longtime customer with latest 3rd gen. Hopper with Sling & two wired Joeys with 3 4K TV's. I also have gigabit internet. I understand they are not 4K but I'm planning to wall mount 2 flat screens and would avoid a wire on each if went with Wireless Joeys. Would appreciate your expertise to answer a couple of questions:
1) Are they bandwidth hogs?
2) Any time lag/buffering or other issues
3) Your opinion, would you recommend a Wireless Joey vs. Wired Joey

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Just get the Dish wireless usb adapter and you can use it on any Joey. We bought the adapter back when the Hopper and Joeys came out and wanted to move a Joey to the basement which didn't have a coax outlet. It works great!

Just get the Dish wireless usb adapter and you can use it on any Joey. We bought the adapter back when the Hopper and Joeys came out and wanted to move a Joey to the basement which didn't have a coax outlet. It works great!
If anyone wants one of those wireless USB adapters, I still have several of them, that I listed in the Classifieds section here. I cut way back on the number of Dish receivers that I have, so I have no real use for them. I am willing to let them go, cheap! Basically, just pay for the shipping, and I'll send you one, while supplies last, first come first served.

Reactions: TheKrell
If anyone wants one of those wireless USB adapters, I still have several of them, that I listed in the Classifieds section here. I cut way back on the number of Dish receivers that I have, so I have no real use for them. I am willing to let them go, cheap! Basically, just pay for the shipping, and I'll send you one, while supplies last, first come first served.
Pictures of the wireless adapters:
1028201514-00.jpg1028201515-00.jpg

crodrules
Can the adapter turn a wired Joey into a wireless Joey?
I have never done that myself. (I only used the wireless adapters for Wally.) It was posted earlier in the thread that it would work to make the Joey wireless, though.
I was curious to find out if that would work, which is why I made the offer to give away some of my wireless adapters. I was hoping that someone would try that, and report back here with the results. (Not that I have any reason to doubt Crickee, but it is always a good idea to get confirmation from more than one person.)

crodrules
Can the adapter turn a wired Joey into a wireless Joey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have tested...
50ft one end of house to other end of house through walls,

Joey2 connected wifi adapter,
Disconnected coax,
Reboot joey2 and hopper3,
Hopper3 found joey2 on home router network.
Joey2 worked connected via wifi adapter.

This was done for testing/curiosity.
The joey2 was a bit slower responding to remote/commands.
I did not test over an extended time.
This method is not supported by Dish.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!

It works, but that method of connection will not result in Dish trouble shooting the experience if you have problems.

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks for your interest in my wireless adapters, everyone! I no longer have any spare adapters available. I will update my listing in the Classifieds section to reflect this.
I didn't list them as a separate item, but rather mentioned them in my thread about Wally and Hopper Duo receivers.
I still have two Hopper Duos left, and some spare remotes, if anyone is interested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts