Status
Please reply by conversation.

cueman98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Cocoa, Florida
Hello,

I am leaving cable to go to D* in about 1 month, I am planning to have a tivo dvr in one of my rooms, but the room has no phone plug in it. So I have looked into wireless phone jack systems as an option, and I need to know if anyone here has had success with them.

What are the limitations as for distance between the base unit and the extension for example.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

within a home you should be fine. where is the closest jack?

I would have to take a guess at that really, I would say that the jack I'm hoping will work is about 70-80 feet away between it and where I would have plug in the extension unit, but there is no direct line of sight between the two points. (e.g. 2 different roomswith walls in-between them)

cueman98 said:
I would have to take a guess at that really, I would say that the jack I'm hoping will work is about 70-80 feet away between it and where I would have plug in the extension unit, but there is no direct line of sight between the two points. (e.g. 2 different roomswith walls in-between them)

I have used Phonex easy jack brand with no problems with my DVR-522.
http://www.phonex.com/prd_wj.htm

The wireless phone jacks send the signal thru the electrical wiring in the house so no line of sight is required.

You need to get the type that are certified to operate as modem jacks.
They can not be plugged into surge protected jacks and must be plugged directly into the wall AC outlet.

I have a set listed in the SatelliteGuys Classifieds

i had gotten the ones from Radio Shack and had poor performance with them. I had my TIVO in my basement and my wirless jack in the room right above the basement and it could never connect. I'm not sure if the Radio Shack ones were certified to operate as modem jacks but I think they did state that they can be used for satellite tv. I don't think they were. I wish they did work though, because I would like to have the Tivo dial in and would like to have a phone down there. But I will look into that link by jtravel.

Hi, I was just wondering what the difference is between the 2 models of Instajack made by G.E, There's the TL26595 and TL96595, from what I can see they are both supposed to be capable of being used with satellite receivers, and tivo boxes.

Question?

How long do you plan to leave the unit in this location? The reason I ask is most phone people I've talked to will "drop" a line for $50.00. Which is cheaper than these plug-ins and there is no question if it will work. JHowever if you move your stuff around like I do, the plug-ins are a fine alternative.

Uplink said:

Thats a PhoneX extra receiver unit they are showing in the photos but I don't see a transmitter unit.
Phonex sells a package that comes with both a transmitter and receiver but they also sell extra receiver units seperate.
The discription doesn't say what you are actually getting.
I would make sure it includes the transmitter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)