Wireless router suggestions??

ksat1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
We finally have a high speed wireless option available to us, so are making the long awaited jump from dial-up in a couple weeks. Although not required, our provider suggested incorporating a wireless router in the house. Not familiar with routers AT ALL, so tried doing some research, gets rather technical. Thought I'd ask here, to get some honest opinions, and save myself hours on "dial-up". Don't want to spend a lot, as we don't even have a laptop in the house yet, but want to have the router available when they come to do the install, so they can hook everything up at that time.

The provider offers a Linksys WRT54G for $60+, but I have found Linksys makes a ..54GS & ..54GL, which don't cost a whole lot more. Have read differing views on all, any suggestions based on personal experience?

Also, we intend to cut our land line once we get the wireless internet. Just got DISH installed a few weeks ago with a dual tuner. Can we somehow tie our receiver into this, in lieu of a phone line connection, to avoid the $5/mth connection fee?

Any and all help appreciated, thanks.

If you don't have a laptop yet, I would personally not do the wireless router yet. A standard wired router can be had for $20 on sale these days.

The problem with wireless is that most people don't do any security and this provides a gaping security hole into your network. Don't think so? I used neighbors' internet connections for a month before I got my high speed various connection installed. Several to choose from. I also had no problem looking at their hard drives. When I travel, I never have a problem connecting by going into any neighborhood, parking and connecting.

If you do security, you need to manage it. Inevitably, you will lose the key and have to reset the whole thing anyway.

Finally, while you are waiting for the laptop or other mobile device, wireless-n will mature and you will probably throw out the whole wireless-g router unused.

pretty much any name brand router will be fine. Unless you have a long distance you need to get the wireless signal, any will be fine. I normally buy either D-Link, Linksys, or Netgear.

Even if you buy a wireless router and don't need the wireless... most routers give you the option to disable the wireless portion.

And which dual tuner did you get installed?

Linksys is good, some people dont like dlink, netgear, buffalo are supposed to be good too. I have dlink, have very few issues, but i dont mind messing with it to get it working.

On the connecting the receiver, yes your wirelsss modem comes in here, you would need to get a games adaptor. I use dlink d-624 router and di-g820 games adaptor, as i used similar vendors the connection worked pretty much first time.

Others have sworn by Homezone (using the wiring in your house so no new cables and not wireless either) but the best would be a hard wire.

If you use wireless, you should at least try and turn on the WPA security - for dlink this was in the quick start guide, right the key down and stick it on the router. The people stealing arent coming in your house too i hope , so it's not a risk imho.

I would avoid paying ANY extra money on a Draft N router until spec is final and approved; until then you can run into many issues; and MANY do.

An easy search will reveal the numerous issues and over-stated and over-hyped claims that are not much better than the current crop of quality G routers.

Last edited:
Even if you buy a wireless router and don't need the wireless... most routers give you the option to disable the wireless portion.

And which dual tuner did you get installed?

We just have the VIP222, no dvr. Does that just get hardwired to the router then, in lieu of a phone line connection, to avoid the $5/mth fee? Not that we do, but could we then order PPV, just as if a phone line connected?
As far as security with a wireless, we live in a rural area, closest neighbor is nearly 1000' from our house. What is the range for others tapping in?

This whole concept is a bit "fuzzy" for me yet, so details are much appreciated. Thanks.

I agree with jayn-j if you don't have a network (or plan to use other peripherals like game machines (Wii for example), go with a conventional 4-port router or switch. If you want to go wireless you have a choice to make. Probably wireless-G will be adequate, but since you will be paying about $40-50 for a wireless G router (w/4-port wired switch... you still want to have wired connectivity too), you might want to decide how much future bandwidth you need. Wireless N is out there too, but will cost an extra 50 probably, but if you are doing it for games you need to double check the router specs to make sure it would be compatible with the game machine too.

Linksys, D-Link are all good brands. Belkin is Ok although my Belkin router is dying while my older (wired) Linksys is still going strong.

Links is my favorite. They are part of the Cisco company, which is one of the best. I have 4 switches, modem, and router that are Links and they work great. I think wireless is the way to go. You will be set up if you get a laptop, any wireless game consoles, or if someone comes to visit with a laptop. Just be sure and setup the security. It is not that hard. Use the WPA type of security. I use the wireless and wired features to SlingBoxes, VIP722s, laptops, Wii, XBOX 360, PS3, PSP, and a Links Wireless Bridge and they all are working great. You will be fine with the Links Wireless Router WRT54G. It is not worth it to get the GS version. It is suppose to be faster speed, but I think you need the matching cards to go with it for your laptops or desktops to get the little bit of faster speed. I agree with charper1, I would stay away from the Draft N stuff. Again, you will have to have the matching cards to go with the N router. It is still draft stuff and may all change. Here are a few pics of some of my Links things I have.

Attachments

• RouterModem.JPG
    RouterModem.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 174
  • RouterModem-1.JPG
    RouterModem-1.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC02264.JPG
    DSC02264.JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
We just have the VIP222, no dvr. Does that just get hardwired to the router then, in lieu of a phone line connection, to avoid the $5/mth fee? Not that we do, but could we then order PPV, just as if a phone line connected?
As far as security with a wireless, we live in a rural area, closest neighbor is nearly 1000' from our house. What is the range for others tapping in?

This whole concept is a bit "fuzzy" for me yet, so details are much appreciated. Thanks.

Your VIP222 can be hardwired if possible. If not, I have a Links Wireless Bridge connected to one of my VIP722s and it works great to the Links Wireless router. Yes, as far as I know you, should be able to order PPV. I have never used it to order PPV. I don't think you need to be that concerned of the security if you have the wireless router security enabled.

Last edited:
Very useful info, thanks. With regard to our closest neighbor @ maybe 1000', what is the furthest distance away that someone with a laptop might be able to "tap in", if I didn't happen to have my security setup properly? Is that solely dependent upon how far the router sends a signal?

Very useful info, thanks. With regard to our closest neighbor @ maybe 1000', what is the furthest distance away that someone with a laptop might be able to "tap in", if I didn't happen to have my security setup properly? Is that solely dependent upon how far the router sends a signal?

Yep, you got it. They can come sneaking up to your house in the darkness of the nite time with a laptop and sneak in to your router. I would guess the G wireless router would put out about 150 feet in the wide open with nothing in the way. If you hide your SSID and have security set up, you will be making it tougher for even a professional to tap in.

hiding your ssid does nothing, anyone that really wants in can see it anyway. the ssid is broadcast in every packet anyway... disabling that just keeps the next door neighbor from accidentally connecting

just set up a good WPA key and you'll be fine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts