Wiring for 622?

tbenning

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 10, 2003
Rocklin, CA
Last week I called DISH for the 622 lease. I am scheduled for an install on the 5th. I expected it to be delayed at least once. But, to my surprise the 622 actually arrived today. So now I would like to know if I'll need more cable runs. If I do I'll run them through the walls this weekend before the installer gets here so I don't end up with wires stapled to the outside of my house.

I currently have a legacy Dish 500 quad with 2 runs to a 721 and 1 run to a 508 in a different room. I plan to add the 622 to the same room as the 721. I'll need the Dish 1000 upgrade to get the HD channels. I do not yet have an antennae for OTA so that will not be a factor for now.

Will I be fine with the current cable runs?
Will the 622 installer just be able to reuse the 2 existing 721 cable runs with DPP separators so they can supply both the 721 and the 622?
If not, what type of setup will I likely end up with?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

You should make sure your installer is bringing out a DP44 switch. With that switch you won't need to run two seperate lines to each location. Whatever equipment is necessary is included in the upgrade price. I had a DP34 switch and a 721 as well. When I added the 622 they could of just run another line but everybody's life was made easier if they installed a DP44, so they did. Unfortunately, they are in short supply but its in your benefit to wait. In my case I had the install scheduled for Feb. 28th. They came out without the switch and simply swapped out my 721 with a 622 and activated it so I got some HD but not everything. They then put me on a waiting list and in exactly a month they returned with the switch and completed the install. It was definitely worth the wait.

So, after some more looking around it does seem that the Dish1000 cannot handle the 3 receivers without a switch. Will the Installer need to use a DP44 switch or will they try to use some other switch? What other switch configuration would they likely try handle the 3 receivers (508,721, and 622) with the Dish1000?

When my 622 and d1000 was installed they tried to install a DP44 switch. Since I only have one 622 receiver I told them to forget the switch and hook up both the existing lines from the d1000 to the 622. I didn't see any reason to have the extra equipment since I didn't think I would use it. My understanding is that the d1000 comes with an lnb that allows each of the two lines that come off that lnb to be split (using the proper equipment) to seperate sets. This will allow me to add two more receivers sometime in the future. That will be more than enough for me.

My installers had a hard time understanding why I felt I didn't need the DP44 switch but they finally conceded. They had a REALLY hard time understanding that I wanted a dedicated d500 left for the 129 sat and the d1000 would only handle the 110/119 sats. Once the dish's were peaked we got 90+ for 110, 100 for 119, and 75 to 85 for 129. They said it was the best they had seen on the 129 sat since they started installing d1000's.

I think I really upset them at first by telling them what to do, but in the end everyone was happy.

Well the install happened today. Things went pretty much as expected with a few exceptions. Two techs arrived and looked at the situation. The 1st tech said easy install put in a DP44 switch and use all existing wiring. 2nd tech said "remember were not supposed to use the DP44's." 1St Tech, "as long as they are on the truck, I'm going to use them."
I was expecting a Dish1000. The Tech said I can give you one if you insist, but I highly recommend using a 2nd dish for 129 it will keep the signal strengths much better and make signal loss in storms less likely. I decided not to fight for the dish 1000 and let him proceed with the 2nd dish. Was this really better? Is the dish1000 OK in Sacramento area?
Everything went fine until they tried to get the 622 to work. It repeatedly failed the Check switch, it refused to see 110, so it refused to download newer software. My other 2 receivers passed the check switch OK, reported strong signals, but strangely refused to tune some stations. After 2 hours of them trying everything it turned out they installed a bad twin LNB onto the dish 500. Once replaced, everything works well now.
The team seemed quite professional with a few exceptions:
1) They kept telling me that I should not keep all my receivers. They said that I didn't need all three (622, 721 and 508).
2) They kept telling me that the 622 was the "biggest piece of crap that DISH has released so far"..."Nothing but trouble"..."942 was far superior". I suggested it is still new and will get more robust with time. He laughed and said, "yeah right...That's why the 921 is still a piece of crap?"
3) While Tech #1 was wrestling to get the 622 working, Tech number 2 was trying to figure out why he could not toon any HD channels on my 721. I reminded him that the 721 was not a HD receiver. He stubbornly told me "Yes it is. I know what I'm doing. This was Dish networks first HD dual tuner DVR." As I walked out of the room I told him that he was mistaken and that the 921 was the first.

All-in-all everything is working well now. They did a decent job. I've not seen any 622 bugs yet, but that'll come soon enough I'm sure...

From what I'm reading in these forums, I think you did the right thing with 2 separate dishes. Except in a few areas it is impossible to optimize the D1000 for 3 satellites. Separate dishes takes care of the problem. I can't see any advantage to the D1000 unless you have to have only 1.

Re: the tech "badmouthing" the equipment and arguing with you, the customer - that's very unprofessional. I have another thread running on that topic...

Congratulations - I'm still holding back on a 622 for several reasons, but I hope to be there soon...!

tbenning said:
Well the install happened today. Things went pretty much as expected with a few exceptions. Two techs arrived and looked at the situation. The 1st tech said easy install put in a DP44 switch and use all existing wiring. 2nd tech said "remember were not supposed to use the DP44's." 1St Tech, "as long as they are on the truck, I'm going to use them."
I was expecting a Dish1000. The Tech said I can give you one if you insist, but I highly recommend using a 2nd dish for 129 it will keep the signal strengths much better and make signal loss in storms less likely. I decided not to fight for the dish 1000 and let him proceed with the 2nd dish. Was this really better? Is the dish1000 OK in Sacramento area?
Everything went fine until they tried to get the 622 to work. It repeatedly failed the Check switch, it refused to see 110, so it refused to download newer software. My other 2 receivers passed the check switch OK, reported strong signals, but strangely refused to tune some stations. After 2 hours of them trying everything it turned out they installed a bad twin LNB onto the dish 500. Once replaced, everything works well now.
The team seemed quite professional with a few exceptions:
1) They kept telling me that I should not keep all my receivers. They said that I didn't need all three (622, 721 and 508).
2) They kept telling me that the 622 was the "biggest piece of crap that DISH has released so far"..."Nothing but trouble"..."942 was far superior". I suggested it is still new and will get more robust with time. He laughed and said, "yeah right...That's why the 921 is still a piece of crap?"
3) While Tech #1 was wrestling to get the 622 working, Tech number 2 was trying to figure out why he could not toon any HD channels on my 721. I reminded him that the 721 was not a HD receiver. He stubbornly told me "Yes it is. I know what I'm doing. This was Dish networks first HD dual tuner DVR." As I walked out of the room I told him that he was mistaken and that the 921 was the first.

All-in-all everything is working well now. They did a decent job. I've not seen any 622 bugs yet, but that'll come soon enough I'm sure...

SNAP ! I had mine installed today too. I have a D1000, it works almost all the time, i had a couple of drops in the bad weather recently, but i had my dish repeaked today too and picked up another 10 points on the 129 strength. Ill let you know if i still have issues.
Jeff

So far the 622 has been problem free for me. My favorite surprise was how "fast" the 30-second skip and 10-second skip back are. Compared to the other DishDRV models these commands are very noticeably faster...they seem instantaneous.
I'm combining the 721 out and the 622 out and sending it all to the house wiring so that I am able to watch anything from anywhere in the house. I Love the fact that the 622 remote can seamlessly operate both the 622 and the 721 (in Aux mode). With this combination I've already disconnected my 508 as I'll not need it any more. I'll sell it soon and put the dollars towards a 4" PocketDISH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)