Status
Please reply by conversation.

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
Vernon, CT
Well, my installer didn't show today so I'm trying to take a stab at wiring this box myself. I have the previous set of instructions you guys posted, but the wires are a little different than what I expected so I want to be sure I'm right. I've included photos.

So I have a 6 wire cable and 2 heavier wires. The 2 heavier wires are the motor controls I'm guessing. On the 6 wire strand, 1 of them (blue) was obviously not used. So that leaves me with 5. Red, White, and Black go to the Polarizer terminals, so that leaves me with yellow and green. These would be the reed wires? Once I have it all wired and moving in the correct direction... what then? :)

Thanks,
MP

Attachments

• P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    393.3 KB · Views: 232
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    366.7 KB · Views: 251
Yellow and Green probably go to ground and pulse, Im guessing the gnd is not hooked up. If your Motor is accessable you could tell which hooked to which by opening the cover. Big White and Red are of course your motor leads. Then you will have to set the limits East and West (if the receiver does not already still have them in it) then find each satellite and enter it in the receiver memory.

Last edited:
Yes, the yellow and the green would most likely be the reed switch wires. But a way to make sure of all your wiring is on the same page you are thinking is to go out to the dish and remove the feedhorn cover to check polarizer and the pop the actuator motor cover and look at that too. And then you'll know for sure you have it wired correctly provided there is not any splices in the cable. After you up and moving. Set limits on receiver then program in Galaxy 1(G1), tune channel 5 for best picture possible, then turn to G1 channel 3 make sure you get the dc light
on front of receiver to light up indicating you have a digital lock on that transponder where maps and guide data are sent. After you get the digital lock on g1 3 allow receiver to download channel maps for about 30 min. and then call program provider for hit. Then continue to program in the rest of your sats you want to view.(if you have ku stay away from the canada sats)

These instruction are for a new receiver or just after a master reset. If your receiver already has the channel maps loaded then you will just need to program your sats in. ( to check this hit options, 6,5 on remote and look where it says channels on the lower right hand corner of the sceen. Should be around 4500 or 4600 channels.
Hope this helps...

Ok... so it's moving! But since i have 3 coax cables running to the area with no labels AND I'm still not sure whether my M1 and M2 are correct, I haven't found a signal yet :). Sooo...

1) How can I tell if M1 and M2 are wired correctly. Talk to me like I'm an idiot (and I am here!). It's got a bunch of sats programmed into the box already, and it thinks it is on G1 right now. I found a signal meter somehow (picture adjust I think!) and it never blips from the base of 10. First I need to make sure that it is moving the direction it should be moving. I've got a compass, so if someone can explain how to make it move in what should be a known direction I would appreciate it.

2) Is there any kind of step by step "this is how you find your first satellite and build from there" kind of thing? The box has them programmed, but how valid would those be after sitting unplugged for so long and possibly wired backwards now?

3) Anyone have any thoughts about figuring which of these 3 darn coax cables is the right one? :)

kbghdg said:
Yes, the yellow and the green would most likely be the reed switch wires. But a way to make sure of all your wiring is on the same page you are thinking is to go out to the dish and remove the feedhorn cover to check polarizer and the pop the actuator motor cover and look at that too. And then you'll know for sure you have it wired correctly provided there is not any splices in the cable. After you up and moving. Set limits on receiver then program in Galaxy 1(G1), tune channel 5 for best picture possible, then turn to G1 channel 3 make sure you get the dc light
on front of receiver to light up indicating you have a digital lock on that transponder where maps and guide data are sent. After you get the digital lock on g1 3 allow receiver to download channel maps for about 30 min. and then call program provider for hit. Then continue to program in the rest of your sats you want to view.(if you have ku stay away from the canada sats)

These instruction are for a new receiver or just after a master reset. If your receiver already has the channel maps loaded then you will just need to program your sats in. ( to check this hit options, 6,5 on remote and look where it says channels on the lower right hand corner of the sceen. Should be around 4500 or 4600 channels.
Hope this helps...

Thanks, but my feedhorn is about 15' off the ground and inaccessible to me ;). Good stuff on programming the sats, I appreciate it! Should I do a master reset on my box? Where do I set the East/West limits?

As for checking direction, if I am moving the number up then that would be East to West, correct?

Last edited:
Yes, so I can see both the set and the dish at the same time if I have to. It does seem as the numbers go down the dish moves west to east, ands vice versa. So I guess I got lucky. I think I accidentally reset my limits though :(. How do I establish those?

to set limits hit options 6,4,3 on remote.
And then visually check to see if your dish is moving east to west(numbering up)
If not swap M1 and M2
As for the master reset I dont think it is necessary as long as your tdt count is not 1920. (options,6,0,5 arrow over to diagnostics screen G and check 5th row across from left to right if it is 1920 then yes a master reset is necessary. Is your receiver new or used?

Is it supposed to check itself (i.e. sweep back and forth) or am I supposed to determine the limits manually? I have the screen where I set them, I just don't know how to determine the numbers.

As for the coax, it's driving me a bit mad. This house is a rat's nest of wires, and tracing some of these darn things is impossible :(. I really need to get up on the dish I guess. Yikes.

What side is your dish arm(actuator) mounted on from viewing from the rear of dish?
Is it mounted on the east or west side?

When I set the limits on mine I go to window and visually watch the dish and with using the uhf remote. I retract the arm (east limit) until the actuator tube is about to disappear(an inch or 2 away) inside the actuator housing and then I stop. That is now my east limit. Then I set my west limit by extracting my arm being carful not to over-extend the dish arm ( I stop a little past AMC 7) This is then my west limit.

Ok, thanks. Seems about like what I ended up doing. I'll do it again once I do the reset. I flipped through the menus but didn't find that anywhere.

Master reset= Options,6,7,7,8 restore to factory defaults. But you dont have to do it right now. Get familiar with the receiver first.
Since your arm is on the west side of your dish you will actually be retracting the tube inside the actuator housing when moving west. So just revese my above directions and set your west limit first and set your east limit. There is a setting on the receiver press options 6,4,2 select actuator you need to choose lineir west if it is not already been done.

Last edited:
Excellent, thank you. I am learning a lot more doing it this way I suppose than paying someone else :).

When you do end up doing the master reset. Do it while you are on G1 channel 3 with a dc lock(dc light on front of receiver lit) which after reset will be at 5000 (position). Then set both west and east limits, then return to position 5000 program g1 at that position allow unit to download channel maps while on galaxy 1 channel 3 call provider for hit, then program rest of sats that you intend to view.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)