Wiring up the receiver and confused!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I was on G1 Channel 3 which should be digital, but I'm not getting digital locks anywhere even though it is downloading info. Puzzling.

madpoet said:
I was on G1 Channel 3 which should be digital, but I'm not getting digital locks anywhere even though it is downloading info. Puzzling.

Maybe you should go to G1 5 (ARTS) and clear up the picture as much as possible and do another master reset, Set limits where you are (g1) turn to channel 3 and allow receiver to set on that channel for a half hour and see what happens.
The reason I am suggesting this is because your receiver seems to be acting flakey and maybe another master reset will clear it up.

Good plan, I'll do that tonight. Otherwise the NPS reps did suggest getting my box repaired or even replaced. Expensive but I may have to bite the bullet if this doesn't do it.

madpoet said:
Good plan, I'll do that tonight. Otherwise the NPS reps did suggest getting my box repaired or even replaced. Expensive but I may have to bite the bullet if this doesn't do it.

Did NPS confirm that your unit ID is indeed not valid? Or did they say it is still valid and OK?

madpoet said:
They said it was fine, just not authorized for programing yet (which I knew).

Thats good.
In case you dont know this. After you do your master reset ,set limits,program g1and turn to channel 3 to start download you can actually watch the channel maps being loaded by pressing options ,6,5. and at some point you will get a password cleared message but I dont think the receiver is quite done yet so continue leaving it alone at least for another 15 min.

I'm looking good! Locked G0 9 in, reset, brought it back up and then had both quality and a DC lock ;). Then I locked in G1 5 and then G1 3 got a DC light and quality level. So I'm feeling pretty good right now. I still worry about why my signal levels are so low. Seems to me it should be better, but what do I know :(. What do other people see for signal levels? I realize every setup is different, but still. I don't go above 66 or 68 on anything it seems like.

Thanks again for all the help kb. I would have been out $200 and learned a lot less without your constant support through this process!

Just a thought...

madpoet said:

I believe you have to have a lock to get the guide downloaded....Perhaps only the indicator led is out! when you are on G1 ch 3, your 4dtv should show the G1, but NO CHANNEL....Why not go into setup and check the quality meter on ch3 ...it should be at least 50+ (bare min)....if no quality, then I am confused as to how you are getting the guide.

Look in the Faq above. You will find a phone number for Motorola 4dtv tech support...they would know for sure!

Good luck
jeff

See my post right above yours, but thanks! DC light seems to finally be working. No idea HOW I got the map last time without a quality level or a DC lock, but I did. Weird! Still concerned about signal levels overall, but I'm not sure what they SHOULD be.

madpoet said:
I'm looking good! Locked G0 9 in, reset, brought it back up and then had both quality and a DC lock ;). Then I locked in G1 5 and then G1 3 got a DC light and quality level. So I'm feeling pretty good right now. I still worry about why my signal levels are so low. Seems to me it should be better, but what do I know :(. What do other people see for signal levels? I realize every setup is different, but still. I don't go above 66 or 68 on anything it seems like.

Thanks again for all the help kb. I would have been out $200 and learned a lot less without your constant support through this process!

Good deal, Glad I could help.
And the issue with the signal level is I really dont know exactly why, but on my 922 receiver hooked to a 10ft. dish .I get a signal of 100. And on the otherhand my 920 hooked to a 6ft dish I get a signal of 68 just like you.(but it still works) It could be something to due with the lnb, different receiver model(my best guess), or the 10 footer just gets more signal. The reason I am leaning toward different receiver model is because a 922 needs a quality of about 45 to get a good picture and the 920 only needs a quality of 17 to get a good picture. And like a said earlier as long as you are getting enough quality to lock in a good picture who cares what the signal is. :)

Last edited:
Makes sense I guess. I know for instance that different OTA receivers measure signal strength different ways, and that it is often confusing ;). No idea why everyone doesn't just use a 1-100 scale, but whatever. I was really only concerned because of the problems I already had with the coax and my inability to get up to the top and make sure all the connectors are ok, etc;

Not yet. Waiting on my HDD200 to get here before I really go crazy with it :). SD does look very nice though I will say. Very clean quality.

hdd200

madpoet said:
Not yet. Waiting on my HDD200 to get here before I really go crazy with it :). SD does look very nice though I will say. Very clean quality.

BOY ARE YOU GOING TO BE A HAPPY CAMPER! Make sure it does not have the Starz bug. I have had some success in asking my provider to Temporarily authorize a channel to see if It comes in well....I tell them I will not subscribe until I see for myself...they have been good about that!

BTW: my rebuilt HDD200 had the bug (vendor replaced it) and I think it only appears (pic and sound blink in and out even with PQ of 81) I think it only shows the bug with the 922, not the 920.

Last edited:
Just wait!

madpoet said:
Ah, thanks. I'll check it out!

Just wait til you see the difference! HDD200 will output in 720P-1080i. This is what HD should look like.

Of course it depends on your Tv too. My new Plasma and LCD Tv's will show every flaw, since the detail is so outrageous!!! With the 4dv + Hdd200, I do not see anything but pure HD!! and it works just fine in the rain, + snow in the Bud up to say 3-4" (snow)! Pizza pan signals would be long gone!

Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts