With the 942, why would anyone buy a 921?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jdsabin1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
Central IA, USA
Supposedly, the last Charlie Chat featured the comment that there is no future for the 921, and that the 942 would be available for lease in February.

With this information, and the fact that MPEG4 is around the corner with the 921 not being compatible, why in the world would anyone pay $500+ for the 921?

I was all set to get the 921 right now but if I can lease the 942 that seems to be the obvious way to go, even *if* I have to wait months (let's face it, Dish hasn't been very good at making timelines for equipment they promised).

Curious to know what I'm missing here. The 921 has some value with the DVR features and HD, but will Dish close them out cheap now?

Strange days indeed.

Why would anybody buy either of them when neither is MPEG-4, a lease option is announced for the 942, and MPEG-4 is announced to be released later this year?

I would think the best option is to just lease the 942, then later turn it in a and buy whatever Mpeg-4 receiver comes out.

Does anybody know for sure if E* will have a lease program for the 942? Because if it is true I am in.... I am already leasing the 811, and own the rest of my receivers, of which, one is the 6000. I wouldn't mind to return the 6000 and lease the 942... :cool:

Don't think it will be lease

Why does it have a $749 MSRP if it will be leased?

I don't think it will be availabel for lease.

With MPEG-4 coming, leasing might be a good choice. However, Looks like the 942 and 921 will be purchase only. If this is the case and you want HD DVR capabilities, purchase is your only option with Dish. Know the question is is it worth it with MPEG-4 coming? Depends on the person

If you wait, you could be waiting a year plus before you see MPEG4. During this time they might come out with a MPEG2/MPEG4 receiver but who knows. THis will be a lost year of HD viewing. If I was wanting HD PVR, I would make the purchase and hope for a good trade in program.

So to answer the question, one might buy a 921 for the following reasons.

1) They are familar with how the 721 works.
2) The 921 has had a year to mature. It has a ways to go but given Dish's track record it shoudl be more stable than the 942 will be out the door.
3) It is 200 bucks cheaper. Reduces risk.

My advice, Wait until next month and hopefully the 942 will be released. Let some early adapters take it for a spin and see what they think. If it is buggy as hell the 942 might be a good stop gap until the MPEG4 receivers come out.

If a person makes a decision on speculation of when the next technology shift will occur, a decision may never be made and in the meantime they will never get the enjoyment of watching HD.

My 2 cents.

I hate cable but in my market you can get there Dual Tuner HD DVR for $15 a month or $180 a year.

How many 921s or 942s can I buy with that? NONE

Can I get a new 94x every year when a new model with Mpeg 4 comes out? NO

At $180 a year cable will give me there latest box everytime there is a new one.

With Direct TV and Dish, I have to keep buying HD DVRs.

Now if Cable could only get more HD content, it might be worth it someday.

But for now, it does have me thinking. . . . .

WeeJavaDude said:
With MPEG-4 coming, leasing might be a good choice. However, Looks like the 942 and 921 will be purchase only. If this is the case and you want HD DVR capabilities, purchase is your only option with Dish.
I understand your logic but in fact on Charlie Chat, here was the dialogue:

Phone: Lonnie – when will the 921 be available for lease?
Answer – Jim: Never. The 942 will be available for lease. Watch Tech Forum in February. The 921 will be phased out to the 942.

So it does look like it is in fact official that we'll see a 942 for lease.

The real question is *when* will the 942 be actually available to lease? I am willing to wait to the end of February or so but then it's either Dish will have the 921/942 to lease to me or I am jumping ship to D*. I currently pay $100+ for programming anyway and am willing to pay a bit more for HD stuff. I just got a quote back from a sponsor here that gave me incredible pricing on a new D* HD DVR setup with addt'l HD receivers that is going to be hard to resist, especially when D*'s HD seems to be a step up, and if past performance is any indicator, I buy their HD DVR today, D* will easily and efficiently deal with me should the need arise to swap it out (MPEG4 issue).

We'll see what February brings.

I got the 921 because it has analog on its DVI-I connection. I use that to connect to the VGA input on my Plasma.

jdsabin1

I think you might confirm by reading other threads on this forum regarding - what is said on "chats" and what really happens, it can often be 2 different things. Just look at what happen with NBR etc.

I hope you are right but after 9+ years with Dish I always question what is said on the CCs.

jdsabin1 said:
I understand your logic but in fact on Charlie Chat, here was the dialogue:

Phone: Lonnie – when will the 921 be available for lease?
Answer – Jim: Never. The 942 will be available for lease. Watch Tech Forum in February. The 921 will be phased out to the 942.

So it does look like it is in fact official that we'll see a 942 for lease.

The real question is *when* will the 942 be actually available to lease? I am willing to wait to the end of February or so but then it's either Dish will have the 921/942 to lease to me or I am jumping ship to D*. I currently pay $100+ for programming anyway and am willing to pay a bit more for HD stuff. I just got a quote back from a sponsor here that gave me incredible pricing on a new D* HD DVR setup with addt'l HD receivers that is going to be hard to resist, especially when D*'s HD seems to be a step up, and if past performance is any indicator, I buy their HD DVR today, D* will easily and efficiently deal with me should the need arise to swap it out (MPEG4 issue).

We'll see what February brings.

Personally I don't believe everthing that is said in the chats. E* has reversed before and changed direction. 942 may be leaseable but may not for current customers. Hard to say. Febuarary might bring some clariety.

By D* HD, I assume you mean a their DVR. From what I have read this is a correct statement for most users. However, I am not sure if jumping to the conclusion that D* will handle the MPEG4 better than E*. That is left to be seen.

I thinking waiting till the end of February and doing your research is the right move. Pushing this whole decision until MPEG4 arrives is not unless you feel not need to have HD in the home. For me.. I love it.

Why pay something like $250 for a lease just to take that risk on having to pay another upgrade fee to MPEG-4 HD DVR?

jdsabin1 said:
Supposedly, the last Charlie Chat featured the comment that there is no future for the 921, and that the 942 would be available for lease in February.

With this information, and the fact that MPEG4 is around the corner with the 921 not being compatible, why in the world would anyone pay $500+ for the 921?

I was all set to get the 921 right now but if I can lease the 942 that seems to be the obvious way to go, even *if* I have to wait months (let's face it, Dish hasn't been very good at making timelines for equipment they promised).

Curious to know what I'm missing here. The 921 has some value with the DVR features and HD, but will Dish close them out cheap now?

Strange days indeed.

Reasons to get 921 now:

- Do you really beleive the 942 will be available when they say it will?
- The 921 is still buggy after a holf dozen software updates, god help the early 942 users
- $749! Why spend $200 on it when it too will be obselete in 12 months
- Did they say exisitng customers will be able to get it right away or will it be another "new customers first"

mdonnelly said:
And with the 942 not MPEG-4 compatible, why would anyone buy it?

LOL. Good one dude. I just picked up a 921. Since cable isn't an option for me, and I MUST have DVR, the 921 will be a good receiver (assuming I don't have assloads of trouble like quite a few folks do). Anyways, mine will be here this week and I'm looking forward to it. I basically lease my receivers since I simply sell the old ones on ebay when I get my new ones. My 721 was 270$ on ebay, and will probably sell for around 200$ or so now on ebay. 1 year -$70 is a pretty good "lease" rate in my mind. When it's time to retire the 921 I'm sure I'll do the same, and I'm sure someone on ebay will be willing to part with their cash for it. :D

glenn z said:
Does anybody really think MPEG-4 will be rolled out this year?

No and even if they did it will take months to start replacing allt he receivers, so I am thinking maybe mid-2006 I will have my MPEG4 HD-DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts