Without Loop Out I'm lost! Time to learn about switches!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Panavision

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
St. Louis Park, Minnesota
I'm really looking forward to the MicroHD box. I think we all are! But I see that because of its small form factor, IF Loop Out will not be included. So I have a question about switches...

I have 2 dishes and 2 receivers. I don't think it matters, but the dishes are separated by about 100 feet. I also have a motor that drives 1 dish. The other dish is locked down on AMC9 and is on the edge of my property shooting around a neighbor's tree. I want to be able to watch both dishes on both receivers. If it helps, the dish that is motor-driven has a 4-output LNBF. I'm only using one output currently. I think I need Diseqc switches (as opposed to 22kHz switches) because I'm using 22kHz tone to tell the universal LNBFs to stay in the correct range. (This is only used to simplify blind scans.)

Your help is greatly appreciated!

If you want to retain the limited capability you now have using loop out (the slave receiver can only receive the same satellite and polarity the master is on), a dual output, diode-protected power-pass splitter will work in the same way that the loop through did, without any additional upgrading. Both receivers will connect to the outputs of the splitter. Cable the input of the splitter as you did the input of the master receiver in your current setup. The first receiver turned on will be the master.

For both receivers to be able to simultaneously receive programming from either dish, you'll need to do some upgrading. If you can replace the universal LNBFs with standard (L.O. 10750) ones, the following solution will work:

You will have to run two cables (one from each receiver) out to the motorized dish site. Both dishes will require dual output standard LNBFs such as this one. Only one receiver will control the motor. Cable that receiver directly to the 'Receiver' connector on the motor, and cable a 4 x 4 multiswitch between the motor and the LNBF on the motorized dish--One output from the 4 x 4 multiswitch will go to the 'LNB' connector on the motor, and the two outputs from the motorized dish LNBF will go into the two '0k" inputs on the multiswitch. Next, run the two outputs from the fixed (stationary) dish LNBF into the two '22k' inputs on the 4 x 4 multiswitch. The other receiver (the one not connected to the motor) will connect to one of the three unused outputs on the multiswitch. In satellite setup, the satellite the stationary dish is receiving will have the 22k option set to 'ON'. On satellites being received by the motorized dish, this option will be 'OFF'.

Note that this solution keeps the switch between the motor and the LNBF, which is where it belongs. Placing a switch between the receiver and the motor will increase your options, but is not recommended as the motor current will shorten the life of the switch.

There is a switch FAQ by Anole here that explains switching in great detail. Additionally, there are other options involving bandstacked LNBFs, and these can get complicated. Switching schemes are a lot to digest, but I hope this helps...

Last edited:
I'd love to be able to watch signals independent of the master, but I can't justify spending any more on new LNBFs. So if I understand correctly, a simple diode-steering, power-passing splitter is all I need to act as an IF Loop. I assume I need a splitter that passes power to only one port rather than one that passes power to both ports. So that handles the IF Loop problem.

I apologize if you included this info above, but what kind of switch do I need in order to watch the stationary dish with the single LNBF and the Quad LNBF that's hooked up to the motor? I should add, it's alright if I can only access the stationary dish with my master receiver. I don't really need it accessible to the slave. Is this even possible seeing that I've got 22kHz tied up controlling LNBFs?

I really wasn't crazy about buying Universal LNBFs, but I'd read that a Quad offers better performance and it's only available as a Universal. Maybe I've been reading too much of the European posts.

The splitters HERE cost more than the SL2 from SatelliteAV... But this is a small town -- shipping would be about the same price and we pay for shipping in our retail price. Now, the extra cable cost, but many people can get the switches free.

I would figure the convenience would overcome the cost in less than 5 days with WAF.. (Wife Approval Factor) It is SO nice that MOM can turn on and watch the TV.

I apologize if you included this info above, but what kind of switch do I need in order to watch the stationary dish with the single LNBF and the Quad LNBF that's hooked up to the motor? I should add, it's alright if I can only access the stationary dish with my master receiver. I don't really need it accessible to the slave. Is this even possible seeing that I've got 22kHz tied up controlling LNBFs?

You can use a DiSEqC switch. Cable it between the LNB connector on the motor and the quad output LNBF on the motorized dish. Run a cable from one of the quad output LNBF outs to port 1 of the DiSEqC switch. Cable the output from the stationary dish to port 2 of the switch. Cable the output from the DiSEqC switch to the LNB connector on the motor. All satellites seen by the motorized dish will be set to 'Port 1' in the receiver DiSEqC 1.0 settings. The satellite seen by the stationary dish will be set to 'Port 2' in the DiSEqC 1.0 settings.

Sounds great! Remember to power off all receivers connected to your dishes (by unplugging them from the wall) before installing either the splitter or the DiSEqC switch, as surge from connecting the cables can burn out these devices.

One last thing... I'll need the switch and splitter to pass 22kHz tone for my Universal LNBFs. Is it common to find Diseqc switches that pass 22kHz tone? Or should all Diseqc switches pass this? I'd like to get these supplies from SatelliteAV.

One last thing... I'll need the switch and splitter to pass 22kHz tone for my Universal LNBFs. Is it common to find Diseqc switches that pass 22kHz tone? Or should all Diseqc switches pass this? I'd like to get these supplies from SatelliteAV.

The 22KHz Ecoda switches are the only ones that pass 22KHz tone, so I have read.

A regular DiSEqC will pass the 22khz tone just fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts