Woo Hoo! It's all about timing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Well I found out today that the the Fortec 240cm dish is on backorder, and not knowing if I can get a motor for this dish, I asked customer service to cancel my order. The nice lady told me that she could do that for me.

Well, I went out to Ebay and behold . . . a guy about 90 minutes north of me had an 8 foot and 10 foot dish for $10.00 each. The 8 foot needs some mesh repaired. The best part about this is that the dishes have been dismantled which will make it easier to transport back to my house.

7720driver said:
That's a couple of good finds, rjc. Do you know if their dish postioners work?

I'm not sure if the positioners work. The seller says he has the mount for the 10 foot dish somewhere. I'll know more when I get the dishes. I'm going to try and do it tomorrow.

If it dont work you can always get another arm from a place like skyvision.com :)

Very good find! I really miss my C Band Dish.

Congrats Bob, I hope you get really lucky when you get there and find out one or both have genuine H-H motors. Wouldn't that be something. We can dream can't we?

Al

Pics will follow shortly

I just returned home from picking up the dishes. The 10 foot dish has an old H-H motor with it. I'm not sure if it works, but I'll give it a try. Also, theguy found the polar mount actuator for the 8 foot prime focus dish. The holes in the 10' dish may be too large for KU band support. the 8' dish has a tear in one of the mesh panels.

This is going to be a fun project. The first thing I want to do is remove the rust and loose paint from the 10' dish. But before I do anything I wanted some advice.

The 10 footer is currently in 4 sections. I'm thinking about removing the remaining rsuted bolts, wire brushing and lightly sanding each section, and then put a dull primer on the dish to protect it. Will any of this ruin the dish? The dish definitely needs some TLC.

I'll stop for now. I need to get the truck I borrowed back to its owner. More to follow . . .

As long as you use powder coat paint, no problem, you also can buy aluminum window screen from home depot for your mesh dish. There some waste after you cut, but it work.

sksatellite...I'm ignorant of powder coat paint (and a lot of other things too). Is it readily available? ....available at regular hardware stores, etc.? Does it come in a spray can?

Scott Greczkowski said:
If it dont work you can always get another arm from a place like skyvision.com :)

Very good find! I really miss my C Band Dish.

Untill I scrounged a dish with a working positioner , I was shopping fro one on EBay .

Take both dishes . Spare Parts ! :)

Best of luck .

Wyr

The Moment of truth is almost at hand

I reassembled the 10' dish today. I had to replace almost every nut and bolt on this monster. There is no way I can move this thing by myself. It will sit in the middle of my yard until my 8ft pole arrives and I get help to mount it. I could not find an excpetable pole for this dish, so I ordered one from Skyvision. it should be here by Tuesday. I also have a 4DTV receiver on its way. The only thing left is to set the pole, mount the motor and dish and pray the motor still works. If the motor does not work, I will take down the 10' dish and set up the 8' dish for now.

The good news is that the holes all lined up with the supports which tells me that the dish has kept its shape since being torn down. A lot of the paint was pealing away, so I repainted the dish with a flat gray primer. I hope this doesn't cause any problems. I couldn't justify the cost of powder coat for a $10.00 dish. The are small gaps between some of the panels connect together which I hope will close once I finish adding all of the bolts. Hopefully I'll have some good news next Saturday.

Hey Bob, glad to hear it's all coming together. Shouldn't be long now, we know that motor is going to work, don't we? Have you got a fence company in your area? I ordered a 1.2 meter Fortec from Sadoun and the freight company called me for directions to my house and I told them I would come and get it, since I wouldn't be home that day (Thursday) and I was going by that way anyway. When I got there, their was a fence company next door. I picked up my dish and stopped next door and checked them out. They had schedule 40 pipe in 8' lengths in sizes from 1 5/8ths" O.D. - 6 3/4" O.D. I picked up a 2" O.D. and a 2 3/8ths" O.D. Today I planted both pipes, one (2") to get my 30" ku off my clothesline post and the other (2 3/8ths") for the new 1.2 meter dish. I'll probably wait a day or so, before I put the dishes up. I'm going back to the fence company soon (I hope), I have a 12' fiberglass laying in the garage, a 10' fiberglass laying out by the shed and a 10' foot mesh (minus a couple of panels) also laying next to the shed. All were given to me to hall them off and I will need some post to put them on.

Al

Edit: I don't know how, but I forgot, I also have a 5' solid aluminum dish someone gave me in the garage. I bought a H-H Ajak motor from Global Communications a month or so back, maybe two. I had to modify the mount to get it to bolt up. I had that done a couple of weeks ago. I hope to be able to use it for C-band, but will definitely use it for ku. I will need a 3 1/2" O.D. pipe for it. Now I know where to go.

Last edited:
It's Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

voomvoom said:
Hey Bob, glad to hear it's all coming together. Shouldn't be long now, we know that motor is going to work, don't we?

The Janeil H to H motor works! It's pretty quiet as well. There is a lot of rust on this thing, but the motor looks good. The teeth on the gear wheel are a little worn in places. I'm going to be a little cautious when I move the dish to the far east because that is where most of the wear and tear is located.

Anyway, I purchased a GI.Motorola 4DTV 920 off on Ebay for $155.00 (price includes shipping). My ribbon cable arrived today, so I hooked up the receiver to the motor, and the motor moved. I hope to install the dish on Saturday. I need about three friends to help me with this part of the project, so the work may or may not get done this weekend.

I have attached 3 photos of the H to H mount. Has anyone worked with a mount like this?

The mount appears to be tilted to an elevation of 45 degrees. I need the mount to be at 43 degrees.

I assume that the threaded bar on the back side of the mount is used to "fine tune" the elevation (see first pic).

I had to use a lot of Liquid Wrench on this bad boy to get the bolts to loosen up.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    484.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    370.7 KB · Views: 193
It looks to me that the turn buckle is your elevation setting. The captive bolt looks to be your declination setting. If you got the dish anywhere near your place, the declination setting should be pretty close if not dead on.

The declination effects how much curve is on the arc that the mount will move through.

Nice find!

Last edited:
All I can say is, It's beautiful"! If you ever decide to part with it, PM me. Or if you come across another one, PM me. I have a 12' fiberglass sitting in the garage, that would just love a mount like that. Very nice find indeed!!!

Al

Shawn95GT said:
It looks to me that the turn buckle is your elevation setting. The captive bolt looks to be your declination setting. If you got the dish anywhere near your place, the declination setting should be pretty close if not dead on.

The declination effects how much curve is on the arc that the mount will move through.

Nice find!

I got this from a guy about 40 miles north as the crow flies. The elevation difference between that location and mine is about 1 degree. So I think I will be really close. I might try to fine tune it once the dish is in place.

Minor setback (I hope)

Well I got the dish mounted to the motor, hooked up the motor to the 4DTV 920 receiver, but when I try to set the dish limits, I get a message the dish is at it's physical limit. This dish is pointing at the true south satelliet with plenty of room to move east or west. I'm hoping I just have a loose wire connection. The motor worked prior to mounting the dish to it. I had to take the motor off, mount the dish brace to it, and then put the mesh panels back on. This thing weighs a ton!

I'll have more time on Saturday (weather permitting) to mess with it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)