World Cup Final scores more viewers than World Series and NBA Finals

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Well, here's some information the soccer haters aren't going to like — Sunday's World Cup final was the most-watched soccer match in U.S. television history. And, try as they might, it won't be easy for the soccer haters to minimize the numbers. Check out this little comparison:
?The 2010 NBA Finals averaged 18 million viewers.
?The 2009 World series averaged 19.4 million viewers.
?The 2010 World Cup final drew 24.3 million viewers.
That's startling even to soccer lovers. And, no doubt, astounding to soccer haters.
The 24.3 million figure is the average number watching at any one time during the telecast. The Nielsen Co. estimates a total of 111.6 million viewers watched at least part of the match.
What makes this all the more amazing is that there was no hint of homer-ism to this. Team USA had been eliminated two weeks earlier.
As a matter of fact, Spain's 1-0 win over the Netherlands drew 4.9 million more American viewers than the U.S.-Ghana game — which had previously held the record as the most-watched soccer match in U.S. TV history.

As always, there are a number of factors involved in any ratings comparison. And while the United States' last game was played on a Friday morning, the final was played on a Sunday afternoon — which accounts for some of the difference.
By the same token, all six games of the 2009 World Series and all seven games of the 2010 NBA Finals were in prime time, when a whole lot more people are watching TV than on Sunday afternoon.
It certainly says something that Spain and the Netherlands did so well in comparison to legendary American sports franchises like the Yankees and the Lakers.
The growing interest in soccer is linked to the growing strength of Spanish-language broadcasters in this country. About 36 percent of the viewers (8.8 million) watched the final on Univision.
But that leaves 15.5 million who watched the English-language broadcast on ABC — an extremely strong number all by itself.
We can only imagine what viewership would have been had Team USA been involved.
World Cup final reels in a multitude of viewers | Deseret News

Actually that is a very impressive number. Too bad the Dutch had to turn it into a kicking contest instead of playing the way they had throughout the tournament.

In 10 years I have never seen my local bar as full as it was for the finals.

Yeah well, the "Decision" had more viewers than both the World Series, NBA Finals and World Cup. What does that say about society?

That is not the point. When you have something that has NEVER happened like this BS "the Decision"....and you add the best player in the NBA...high ratings ARE expected.

But SOME....ESPECIALLY in here, stated that ratings would drastically drop once the US were eliminated. Guess what....? It did not happen..if ANYTHING, it did the reverse! Does the mean that soccer is making strides in the US....maybe, I think so. ALOT of people don't realize, that the hispanic population is growing...especially from South America and that HAS to be taken into consideration.

That is not the point. When you have something that has NEVER happened like this BS "the Decision"....and you add the best player in the NBA...high ratings ARE expected.

But SOME....ESPECIALLY in here, stated that ratings would drastically drop once the US were eliminated. Guess what....? It did not happen..if ANYTHING, it did the reverse! Does the mean that soccer is making strides in the US....maybe, I think so. ALOT of people don't realize, that the hispanic population is growing...especially from South America and that HAS to be taken into consideration.

You're right. Perhaps this DOES mean soccer is making strides in this country. That is a good thing IMO. It's a great sport with tons of passion and teamwork and the US has been missing out on what every other country in the world raves about. I hope it continues to make strides.

I think if they had more games of the NBA finals and World Series on Saturday and Sunday afternoon they would get more viewers too. ;)

I think if they had more games of the NBA finals and World Series on Saturday and Sunday afternoon they would get more viewers too. ;)

From the quote above -

By the same token, all six games of the 2009 World Series and all seven games of the 2010 NBA Finals were in prime time, when a whole lot more people are watching TV than on Sunday afternoon.

:rolleyes:

From the quote above -

:rolleyes:

Not if the games don't start til 9:00 PM est they aren't the best times to watch games. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

HD MM said:
Yeah well, the "Decision" had more viewers than both the World Series, NBA Finals and World Cup. What does that say about society?

pretty sure the decision only beat out the Stanley Cup Finals

How many games does the entire NBA and MLB playoffs consists of when you consider BOTH the National and the American League? Same applies to the NBA...

Networks start games at 8:30 or 9:00 PM eastern because that maximizes prime time across the country. It's all about ratings and ad revenue.

If more people would watch at 2:30 PM on a Sunday, that's when they would televise games in the US.

Sandra

Networks start games at 8:30 or 9:00 PM eastern because that maximizes prime time across the country. It's all about ratings and ad revenue.

If more people would watch at 2:30 PM on a Sunday, that's when they would televise games in the US.

Sandra

Then why does the Super Bowl start at 6pm?

I expressed a great deal of joy at the numbers in another thread. A few days have passed and I am still astounded. This is affirmation for those of us who have followed this game and this event for decades and have fought against the swift currents of hatred directed towards this game by the members of the sporting public who have chosen not to give the sport a chance and who are always eager to point out the game's shortcomings. They will continue to do so, but we now have concrete evidence to rebut them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts