World Cup Final scores more viewers than World Series and NBA Finals

That leads me to wonder. Since baseball is very popular within the Hispanic communities and Spanish speaking segment of the population here in the US (second only to soccer), if MLB allowed simultaneous broadcast of the World Series on Fox and Univision, if the numbers that watch the World series would also increase by a few million?

Also, I would be willing to bet that all sports would actually draw more viewers if it were played in the afternoon instead of "Prime Time. First, even though prime time has the most viewer, people watch TV for Prime Time shows, not for sports. Second, "Prime Time" games often start at 8pm to 9pm on the East Coast, and that late start alone will make it so a many people will not want to watch a program that is going to end after 11pm or 12am.

Finally, if the WS or the NBA Championship consisted of 1 game, like the WC Final, it too would be more viewers.

Last edited:
That is not the point. When you have something that has NEVER happened like this BS "the Decision"....and you add the best player in the NBA...high ratings ARE expected.

But SOME....ESPECIALLY in here, stated that ratings would drastically drop once the US were eliminated. Guess what....? It did not happen..if ANYTHING, it did the reverse! Does the mean that soccer is making strides in the US....maybe, I think so. ALOT of people don't realize, that the hispanic population is growing...especially from South America and that HAS to be taken into consideration.
That was me and I was wrong. I guess I will not try to pursue my career as a psychic. :p

You're right. Perhaps this DOES mean soccer is making strides in this country. That is a good thing IMO. It's a great sport with tons of passion and teamwork and the US has been missing out on what every other country in the world raves about. I hope it continues to make strides.
I will have to disagree here. Even I watched it and I have no desire to follow soccer any more than I did before the World Cup. Talking with many others who also watched it, the general consensus is that it was something interesting, but the game was still boring as hell.

The next WC will probably draw even more viewers, but I still doubt that Soccer will make any more strides as a mainstream and popular sport here in the US

I think if they had more games of the NBA finals and World Series on Saturday and Sunday afternoon they would get more viewers too. ;)
I have been making this argument for years. Those that run the NBA and MLB are clueless when it comes to making decisions on ratings and popularity.

For the longest time they thought showing more games on TV would decrease ticket sales at the parks or arena's. I argued that it would increase by promoting the game to more people. The more that see it on TV, the more that will want to see it live, and I was correct.

MLB and FOX still believe that making Saturday games exclusive will help local ratings. Well the ratings for Saturday games keep going down. If they allow people to pick which game they want to watch by making the Saturday games available on MLB.TV and EI, the ratings will go up.

Now they believe that "Prime Time" starts will increase ratings, and I argue that earlier starts will increase ratings as more people will watch because it will not interfere with their normal "Prime Time" programming. Start the games in the afternoon, and I guarantee more people will watch

I received an e-mail from a close friend who doesn't understand how I can be so passionate about soccer. Of course he used the argument about it taking the two teams nearly two hours to score a solitary goal. I reminded him that his beloved Phillies went what seemed like a week without scoring earlier this season. I've haven't heard from him since. I hope it wasn't something I said.

That is STILL prime time. IF I am not mistaken, prime time consist of anything between 8:00pm and 10:00pm EST.
But more viewers during a TV time does not necessarily equal more viewers for a particular program. Some programs will get more viewers if they were on during a time that does not interfere with other programming

I will have to disagree here. Even I watched it and I have no desire to follow soccer any more than I did before the World Cup. Talking with many others who also watched it, the general consensus is that it was something interesting, but the game was still boring as hell.

The next WC will probably draw even more viewers, but I still doubt that Soccer will make any more strides as a mainstream and popular sport here in the US

How can you say that when we have more American born players playing the "premier" leagues than ever before. We have MORE soccer fields now throughout the US than the last WC.. We have stations broadcasting games than the last WC...that are NOT in spanish...MORE 'futbol' stars are being marketed world wide than the last WC... MORE international teams are playing 'friendlys' on US soil than ever before...I mean do you see where this is going? This will may never be up there in the US with the big three when it comes to constant ratings...but hey, if MMA has now gotten PAST boxing..then ANYTHING is very possible.

FIFA is doing a great job in the US not trying to go after the casual observer as much as going after the biggest growing population in the US....the latino market.

I received an e-mail from a close friend who doesn't understand how I can be so passionate about soccer. Of course he used the argument about it taking the two teams nearly two hours to score a solitary goal. I reminded him that his beloved Phillies went what seemed like a week without scoring earlier this season. I've haven't heard from him since. I hope it wasn't something I said.
The average score in baseball is 9.4 total runs (which is about 5-4). The average score in soccer is about 2.54 points (which is about 2-0, or 1-1), 1.6 goals for the winning team and 1/2 a goal for the losing team. There is much more scoring in baseball. In fact that average baseball score is higher than the average NFL score, which is about 21 points or 14-7 (which is equivalent to 2-1).

Of course baseball is the only sport in which the defense controls the ball, and were the greatest plays are made by the defense, which is more often than not, the most exciting part of the game. Low scoring games can actually be more exciting.

How can you say that when we have more American born players playing the "premier" leagues than ever before. We have MORE soccer fields now throughout the US than the last WC.. We have stations broadcasting games than the last WC...that are NOT in spanish...MORE 'futbol' stars are being marketed world wide than the last WC... MORE international teams are playing 'friendlys' on US soil than ever before...I mean do you see where this is going? This will may never be up there in the US with the big three when it comes to constant ratings...but hey, if MMA has now gotten PAST boxing..then ANYTHING is very possible.

FIFA is doing a great job in the US not trying to go after the casual observer as much as going after the biggest growing population in the US....the latino market.
It is not taking off.

The truth is soccer is always second or third to everything else by most of these people participating in the games.

Our best athletes play other sports.

Soccer has always been popular among the youth (I even played when I was a kid), but quickly dies off when they get older. Many that do become successful here in the US go elsewhere to play.

For the most part, people simply do not watch games on TV or live here in the US. This last WC was the exception as well as the female WC a few years back when the US won.

Of course baseball is the only sport in which the defense controls the ball, and were the greatest plays are made by the defense, which is more often than not, the most exciting part of the game.

I disagree. I say soccer simply because you have MORE guys playing defense in soccer than baseball. You basically have EVERYONE playing defense and you have to GET THE BALL for your turn. IF not, you just cannot score. After three out, it's the other guys turn.

It is not taking off.

The truth is soccer is always second or third to everything else by most of these people participating in the games.

Our best athletes play other sports.

Soccer has always been popular among the youth (I even played when I was a kid), but quickly dies off when they get older. Many that do become successful here in the US go elsewhere to play.

For the most part, people simply do not watch games on TV or live here in the US. This last WC was the exception as well as the female WC a few years back when the US won.

LOL! So th fact that they are playing more, showing it more, having more players in the better European and South American leagues and these new ratings showing it was not a "hommer" thing...proves nothing to you? :confused:

I disagree. I say soccer simply because you have MORE guys playing defense in soccer than baseball. You basically have EVERYONE playing defense and you have to GET THE BALL for your turn. IF not, you just cannot score. After three out, it's the other guys turn.
The defense does not control the ball in soccer. That is not a matter of opinion, that is fact. Baseball IS the ONLY sport in which the defense has total control of the ball and the offense attempts to disrupt the control. Soccer, like every other sport, the offense controls the ball and the defense tries to disrupt the control.

The defense does not control the ball in soccer. That is not a matter of opinion, that is fact. Baseball IS the ONLY sport in which the defense has total control of the ball and the offense attempts to disrupt the control. Soccer, like every other sport, the offense controls the ball and the defense tries to disrupt the control.

You forgot cricket lol.

While your points are all true, what is it you are trying to prove with them? :confused:

Sandra

You forgot cricket lol.

While your points are all true, what is it you are trying to prove with them? :confused:

Sandra

He is trying to NOT admit he wasy wrong about his comments and STILL try to state how much he wants to say soccer sucks. He has gone SO FAR away from just admitting that his initial comments that soccer would drastically drop in ratings that he has gone off on a tangents about IF more games were played in the playoffs, IF they played them at better times and the difference in defenses between baseball and soccer.

He is trying to NOT admit he wasy wrong about his comments and STILL try to state how much he wants to say soccer sucks. He has gone SO FAR away from just admitting that his initial comments that soccer would drastically drop in ratings that he has gone off on a tangents about IF more games were played in the playoffs, IF they played them at better times and the difference in defenses between baseball and soccer.

Umm salsa he admitted twice he was wrong. How many more times do you want him to do so? :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts