World Cup Final scores more viewers than World Series and NBA Finals

Prediction:

World Cup ratings, 2011 - zero
World Cup ratings, 2012 - zero
World Cup ratings, 2013 - zero

I further predict that the World Series and NBA finals in those years will get ratings similar to this year.

Nice apples-oranges comparison. A once every four years deal held on a Sunday afternoon facing no other live sports versus regular American sports held yearly in primetime agains 20-40 other worthwhile programs.

With the ESPNhype machine turned up to 27.5, and adding together the ratings of two networks.

What is it with soccer people? Enjoy your niche sport. You do not see fans of tennis, or auto racing, or bowling, or whatever, here, or anywhere, having some weird psychological need filled by comparing their sport to major sports. Soccer is what it is. A side show once every four years in the deadest TV month, and a 0.01 the other 47 months of the cycle. You are not baseball, and you will never be baseball. Enjoy your sport, just try to work on the need to justify it as "the sport of the next generation".

It isn't.

And of course the other side of the coin is...

What is it with non-soccer people? Why do decent soccer TV ratings bother them so much? Why do they have to compare World Series and NBA finals ratings to soccer? Why do they resort to calling the sport a side show? Must satisfy some weird psychological need of the hater. ;)

Sandra

And of course the other side of the coin is...

What is it with non-soccer people? Why do decent soccer TV ratings bother them so much? Why do they have to compare World Series and NBA finals ratings to soccer? Why do they resort to calling the sport a side show? Must satisfy some weird psychological need of the hater. ;)

Sandra

To add to your good points:

The folks that LIKE soccer were quietly minding their own business when the haters HAD to come in and start ranting and raving about ratings, how worthless the sport is and how no one likes it and on...and on...and on...

Suddenly, the non fans are like threatend or something....;)

Should we really care what the haters have to say? You can argue with them until you turn blue and it isn't going to change their way of thinking. 250 million Americans could have watched the final but they would stick to the "nobody cares about soccer, soccer is boring, soccer is irrelevant, soccer is a sissy game" line of thinking. It's okay not to like something, but if you don't , then stay away from discussions pertaining to that subject. Personally, I do not like golf, college football, the NBA, and NASCAR, but I do not feel the need to go into a forum dedicated to those sports and advertise my disdain for them. Other people who like them may find something in it that I don't and that is fine, after all, the world does not revolve around me or anybody else for that matter.

As far as posting about this World Cup, I am finished. It's time to move on to other things.

Should we really care what the haters have to say? You can argue with them until you turn blue and it isn't going to change their way of thinking. 250 million Americans could have watched the final but they would stick to the "nobody cares about soccer, soccer is boring, soccer is irrelevant, soccer is a sissy game" line of thinking. It's okay not to like something, but if you don't , then stay away from discussions pertaining to that subject. Personally, I do not like golf, college football, the NBA, and NASCAR, but I do not feel the need to go into a forum dedicated to those sports and advertise my disdain for them. Other people who like them may find something in it that I don't and that is fine, after all, the world does not revolve around me or anybody else for that matter.

As far as posting about this World Cup, I am finished. It's time to move on to other things.

:up

It's okay not to like something, but if you don't , then stay away from discussions pertaining to that subject. Personally, I do not like golf, college football, the NBA, and NASCAR, but I do not feel the need to go into a forum dedicated to those sports and advertise my disdain for them. Other people who like them may find something in it that I don't and that is fine, after all, the world does not revolve around me or anybody else for that matter.
Couldn't have said it any better..............my nomination for post of the year! :up

Well done! :)

Couldn't have said it any better..............my nomination for post of the year! :up

Well done! :)

I agree!!!!

Very nice post indeed. I don't really care if others don't like soccer and I'm not going to try to convince others to like it either. As long as the networks continue to show it, I'm happy.

OK, here's a hater's rant:

Let's see: New York plays in a $200 million arena and can't sell out EVER. Even with another over-hyped aged Eurodiva like Tierry Henry.

The problem isn't that Americans don't like watching soccer. They don't like watching Major (in name only) League Soccer. They know the REAL leagues are in EPL, La Liga, BundesLiga, etc., and that will NEVER change with the slave wages offered by MLS.

Americans especially do not like the soccer-mom politics of the USSF, who uses wiggle words to make us forget about "Project 2010," of if anyone brings it up, tries to convince us that making the round of 16 is a "success." Not in my book. I heard this tripe 23 years ago when I played high school soccer, "large youth program," "we're growing," etc. Americans in MLS makes McDonalds wages while Beckham gets $6 million to be injured. There's your problem. If Donovan is so important, PAY him the most in MLS. If not, sell his contract.

Notice Garber didn't crawl out of his cave until Donovan's miracle goal that got the Americans out of the group? There he was pimping MLS. Earlier he stated no to instant replay (even after screams from just about everybody about horrible calls that could have easily been corrected with instant replay). Thou shalt not offend Blatter before the World Cup bids are announced.

When will the USSF say we will WIN the World Cup? Why, they can't give a time, can they? Setting goals is so unfair. No wonder we're still thinking of keeping RoboBob despite his asinine lineups. Loyalty is for suckers.

I am convinced the leaders of the game in this country would rather HOST the World Cup than win it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts