Would like to discuss Box channel lists.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

skewed

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
This is the problem I am having and what I am doing about it. When I do a blind scan with my view sat it will only search transponders that are in the sat file. The old and the newest sat file is missing alot of trasponders. This makes me miss alot of channels. For instance I have never saw a PBS yet. Sometimes I would scan a sat for channels that I know are there and miss them. They would not even show up. But then I would do another scan and it would pull them in. When I am talking about a channel list I am refering to the channel list in the box that you get from doing a blind scan. What I did to try to remedy the problem was when I would do a scan that would get say "channel X", I would back up my channel list with my jump drive and delete the list. Then rescan and see if it would pick it up again. If it did not get "channel X" on the next scan I would load the back up of the channel list back into the box and it would work, "channel X" was viewable. So that got me thunkin. I loaded my backup list into channel master and manually entered in the transponders,I found a channel I was NEVER able to scan in and manually entered the freg and symbol etc and the channel name. Next I loaded the modified list back into the box and bam like magic the channel was there. So now I going through lyng sat entering in ALL of the tp settings for ALL of the channels including the feeds! I have only been messing with channel master for 3-4 days now but I think I have the hang of it. I have been so busy entering in information that I have not had time to test my progress. I suspect that I will be finished with the channel list by the weekend.

I know there are rules for not discussing things that may or may not be up there, but I found that the transponders that were in my "channel list" were giving me problems picking somethings up. I'm sure most of us here know of a few things that in the clear right now and if someone else has a problem like I am having they will never get to see some channels. I was also ending up with alot of duplicates even after doing a factory default and turning the lnb power off on all other sats except the ones I was scanning. I hope that this method will end the channel problems that I am having. I would like to share this list after completion as long as it does not conflict with the rules. I was thiking of not including the scrambled channels but then I read somewhere here that sometimes, somethings are open and sometimes there not, I think there was an espn news that just did that. My goal is to have a universal channel list for ku band that is nice and clean, without all of the clutter and sats that your don't have a prayer of getting a signal on. Also I am not doing c band as I may not get the dish I scored up until spring. I was hoping that we could share this list and with everyone working on it by adding to it we could have a nice up to date list. One very good benifit is that if all of the feed channels are listed and already loaded a person would not have to waste time doing a blind scan to see if anything is lit up, just flip through the channels.

I'm not sure if I am going off the deep end or not but I would like to know if this is a good idea.

Right, But I am not crazy, this thing is wired. Sometimes I will set up to scan say sbs by moving the dish to it with the motor and then save exit and go straight to blind scan and it will have sbs checked off and then when I start scanning it scans amc3 !@#$%^!! I am having fits with this, the worst thing is it is unreliable, it will lead you to belive you have problems elsewhere because you caint pull in a channel with a blind scan when all along it is the reciver. I have not narrowed it down to high or low transponders but it aint right.

I bet you tried it already...
1) Make a factory reset
2) Boot the box while using the switch on the back
3) set your lat and lon for usals
4) modify the settings for ONE satellite, move to the sat and save
5) go to the blind scan, make sure the satellite is marked and ONLY this satellite
6) start scanning.

if that works repeat steps 4 to 6 for all other satellites.

...at least that worked for me.

Before doing a Blind Scan:
Go to the Antenna Setup
Select the Sat you want to Scan
Select the USALS Motor options and select OK, not Go To Ref.
Wait for Motor to Stop, until you are comfortable - do a visual check
Select an Active TP from the TP List to confirm Sat Lock
Exit
Select Blind Scan
Set for "6 Step" and Scan - 5=slow and through, 16=fast and careless

Right, But I am not crazy, this thing is wired. Sometimes I will set up to scan say sbs by moving the dish to it with the motor and then save exit and go straight to blind scan and it will have sbs checked off and then when I start scanning it scans amc3 !@#$%^!! I am having fits with this, the worst thing is it is unreliable, it will lead you to belive you have problems elsewhere because you caint pull in a channel with a blind scan when all along it is the reciver. I have not narrowed it down to high or low transponders but it aint right.

I've not seen these problems with my Viewsat VSPRO. I think it had some troubles moving the dish initially that was fixed by a firmware update. I was using USALS.

I have found that it is best to have at least one channel scanned on each bird so you can switch to that channel and be assured the receiver won't try to move the dish. For example if you're on AMC3 watching a channel and decide to blind-scan SBS6, the receiver might try to move back to AMC3 due to that being the "current channel" it is watching. This would be a bug since it shouldn't move the dish when you're in the setup menu, except to where you're asking it to move. Even if it doesn't move back, it might not move until you begin the blindscan and then it will possibly miss some low transponders as the dish is still moving when it scanned 11700mhz for example.

Anyway, I might be doing something wrong, but with Viewsat and Coolsat I have occasionally had this issue of keeping the dish locked on the bird I want to scan. The channel fixes it for me. So even on satellites that normally have no FTA, just feeds, I will leave one entry to help me lock the position.

Imagine the worst case, you're watching WhiteSprings on 129° and decide to blindscan 72°, if you just pop into the menus and do it, the receiver might not really wait for the dish to get over there. Even the fastest motors with 18V will take 23 seconds to move 57° That is a lot of scanning to miss if the receiver doesn't wait properly.

If I don't have a channel scanned on the satellite I want, I just move right next door so if the receiver screws it up it will only be a few degrees.

Tryed it all, got the latest program and sat file from viewsat, turned the power off to all lnbs except the ones I am scanning. On one tp I may have 60-70% quality and it will still miss channels. Blind scan again and there in the list. I have yet to watch a pbs because I caint pull them in. But yet those birds have better than 60% quality. I will try the half way made up list tonight and see what happens. I cain't belive that I am the only person who has this problem, maybe I'm expecting too much.

ultra

skewed,
I have ultra, don't use it for motor control but I will agree it sometimes misses channels on blind scan. It skips ONN 50% of the time (depends on what 'step' I set it on to scan, 5 or 9 gets it, 8 will miss every time lol).
Most of the ones that it skips are below its threshold, which seems to be 3978SR for blind scan. It will display KTEL on AMC5 ok but has never found it with blind scan.
All these boxes have their quirks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts