Would planes add to interference?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
I thinking in a few years I might move out west. There's one area I'm looking at that has quite a bit of open space enough for a ku and c band (maybe even as big as 12 feet or so) but then I noticed one thing. It's pretty close to not only a airport but also a airbase. Now I grew up near an airbase and don't remember anything causing bad reception (although when there was a air show you KNEW it was a airshow :D )

Anyone live near a runway experience anything? Thanks

I have heard reports that airports do indeed cause trouble with satellite signals and I have also experienced it my self around the country!

:( and there's hardly anything in the way (trees etc) maybe I'll check the milage from it. I think the house already has either DN or DTV...so I guess they should know if there's bad reception or not...

mpd said:
:( and there's hardly anything in the way (trees etc) maybe I'll check the milage from it. I think the house already has either DN or DTV...so I guess they should know if there's bad reception or not...

Not necessarily. Usually TI problems (or at least the ones associated with aircraft) occur on C band and not Ku. Anyway, whether or not you'll have TI problems no one can say for sure. If you have a C band LNB and a spectrum analyzer you could perhaps do some initial tests. Also if you know anyone else who lives nearby who has a C band dish you could perhaps inquire as to whether they've ever experienced problems. However, even this may not tell you for sure or not whether you'll have TI problems. There are a few measures you can take to help prevent TI. One is to use a deeper dish or one that has a lower F/D ratio as they tend to reject TI better. Also it might help to use as big a dish as possible and to perhaps try to place obstructions between the dish and the direction you believe the TI is coming from. You can also get a filter which will fit between the feedhorn and LNB, but you might want to wait before purchasing one of those until you're absolutely sure you'll need it as they tend to be specialty items and thus are generally somewhat expensive ($400-$500).

Stefan said:
Not necessarily. Usually TI problems (or at least the ones associated with aircraft) occur on C band and not Ku.

Well that's a pretty big relief.:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts