Would this had happend if the player was Wes Welker?

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I heard about this yesterday and I was totally disgusted. Here is a guy and his wife rushing to get to see family on their death bed, and this A$$HOLE cop has to show that he is in charge. I am wondering, was this more of a power trip or something racially motivated...would this have happened if the NFL player was white? Say this was Wes Welker....You can CLEARLY hear this guy pleading to the cop and explaing to the him the reason he took the light....hell the hospital SENT NURSES TO PLEAD THE COP, and this crap stain was still a jerk about it!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

The dashboard video tape is on the link, check for yourself for those who may think I am over reacting.

DALLAS -- A police officer was placed on administrative leave Thursday over a traffic stop involving an NFL player whom he kept in a hospital parking lot and threatened to arrest while his mother-in-law died inside the building.

Officer Robert Powell also drew his gun during the March 18 incident involving Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats in the Dallas suburb of Plano, police said.

"I can screw you over," he said at one point in the videotaped incident. When another officer came with word that Moats' mother-in-law was indeed dying, Powell's response was: "All right. I'm almost done."

Dallas Police Chief David Kunkle apologized to the family and announced that Powell would be on paid leave pending an internal investigation.

"When we at the command staff reviewed the tape, we were embarrassed, disappointed," Kunkle said. "It's hard to find the right word and still be professional in my role as the police chief. But the behavior was not appropriate."

Powell, 25, a three-year member of the force, stopped Moats' SUV outside Baylor Regional Medical Center at Plano after Moats rolled through a red light.

Police officials said Powell told his commanders he believed he was doing his job, and that he drew his gun but did not point it. Kunkle said Powell was not necessarily acting improperly when he pulled his weapon out, but that once he realized what was happening should have put the gun back, apologized and offered to help the family in any way.

"His behavior, in my opinion, did not exhibit the common sense, the discretion, the compassion that we expect our officers to exhibit," Kunkle said.

Moats' wife, who was in the car along with other relatives, said Powell pointed his weapon at her.

"He was pointing a gun at me as soon as I got out of the car," Tamishia Moats told The Dallas Morning News.

The Moats family did not immediately return messages left by The Associated Press. Powell did not respond to requests for comment through the Dallas police union.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4017382"]Police officer delays Ryan Moats of Houston Texans in hospital parking lot as family member dies - ESPN[/ame]

Who knows if this officer was racially motivated or not.

Regardless, the officer is clearly a complete dick and this was an ass hole move. He has no common sense or heart and should be reprimanded.

Who knows if this officer was racially motivated or not.

Regardless, the officer is clearly a complete dick and this was an ass hole move. He has no common sense or heart and should be reprimanded.

Personally, I feel it leans more toward a power trip....but can ya see WHY a black athlete might feel this is racially motivated.....? I was listening to 790 the Ticket here in Miami and this was a MAJOR hot topic. A few Dolphin players called and they stated the same.

Well this is pretty standard treatment. Not nearly as bad as Getting a gun held on you and getting called the N word. Or your lady getting patted down for a weapon. I had to LOL when Moats said he has never been treated like this before!!:eek: Where did he grow up i would love to move there!!

Officer who detained Moats resigns.....

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4033626"]Officer Robert Powell, who detained Houston Texans' Ryan Moats resigns - ESPN[/ame]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts