Would you consider buying a 3D TV as your next major TV purchase?

Would you consider buying a 3D TV as your next major TV purchase?

• Why not!

Votes: 52 23.0%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 44 19.5%
  • No way!

Votes: 130 57.5%

• Total voters
Just because the tv is 3-D ready does not mean that you have to watch in 3-D. And yes, that new 72" 480hz LG. Vizio might be in my future (depending on the picture). If not, the largest LCD from Samsung with LED Local Dimming. I would buy the new Toshiba Cell but I'm feeling it will be much to expensive.

Besides, my guess is that if your HDTV is 240hz or higher and can accept a software upgrade that with the right equipment (PS3 anyone) you will be able to watch 3-D on your current tv. That is if your manufacturer will offer it.

Yes! 3D is where its at! Every movie I see in 3D is spectacular. 3D is 100 times better than what we have now.

I would buy a 3D in a heart beat!

And the excuse that people cant see in 3d so it will not catch on must be the dumbest statement I have heard in a long time. So, if you go by that logic - how did COLOR TV become so popular. All those people who could only see in black and white must have really delayed color.. Yeah right..

Anyway, 3D is amazing. Bring it on! I will be more than glad to wear glasses 24/7 in my home to watch everything in 3D!

Um, no.

I would rather they back away from 3D and focus more on higher HD resolutions.

3D would be good IF they could find a solution that didn't need glasses AND could be seen in the average living room (meaning people looking at it at a 30-45 degree angle could also watch it without getting a headache).

Yes! 3D is where its at! Every movie I see in 3D is spectacular. 3D is 100 times better than what we have now.

And the excuse that people cant see in 3d so it will not catch on must be the dumbest statement I have heard in a long time. So, if you go by that logic - how did COLOR TV become so popular. All those people who could only see in black and white must have really delayed color.. Yeah right..

Anyway, 3D is amazing. Bring it on! I will be more than glad to wear glasses 24/7 in my home to watch everything in 3D!

3D has been around ALOT longer than the color tv and still has not caught on.

I cannot see getting a big group over to watch the Super Bowl and wearing glasses.

I am with others. Improve on hd.... without eyewear.;)

Colorblind people perceive color. One-eyed people see 3D.

Throw all that out. I will restate, 3D TV will not catch on if glasses are required.

Those who don't normally wear glasses will find it cumbersome after the novelty wears off. Those who do wear glasses find it amazingly uncomfortable to have another set of glasses on top. It is something we put up with for an "event", but never for an every day thing.

Colorblind people perceive color. One-eyed people see 3D.

Throw all that out. I will restate, 3D TV will not catch on if glasses are required.

Those who don't normally wear glasses will find it cumbersome after the novelty wears off. Those who do wear glasses find it amazingly uncomfortable to have another set of glasses on top. It is something we put up with for an "event", but never for an every day thing.
:up
That's exactly what I say.

Hi

My DLP Mits 63" already has a 3d jack, and I bought it 2 years ago.

I was told it will work just as well as the new ones and the glasses for it are already available.

This is what Jeff Meier said about 3D. Jeff is one of the top AV calibrators in the country.

3D is the next big thing for home theater. Since Avatar has set sales records the studios and equipment manufacturers are going to roll out many products. It appears this may be a Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD fight with various manufacturers offering different proprietary solutions. Many consumers are looking forward to this, but don’t be surprised if we have problems.
Be aware that while you may get 3D you are going to lose some image resolution, contrast and image luminance from it. Many of these technologies will toss 75% of the light from your display. LCD flat panel is going to have the least problem with this while front projection will be a real challenge. Glasses will also have to be worn. I also wonder what the odds of glasses that must synchronize with the display working when we cannot eliminate lip sync errors.

I have videos in my archives of 3d promos from some old UHF stations . One of my favorites was a UHF Station around 1980 or so doing a 3d Promo for Revenge of the Creature or something like that. You had to go to a local 7- Eleven to get the glasses . The hype went on for months and I remember getting so excited for it. The 3d was pretty good . I still have the glasses. Back then I had a VCR but no cable so I had to record it off a OTA Antenna.

I just don't see it making it if you have to wear the glasses. Some HD is so clear today including the Olympics it almost looks 3d. If they find a way to do it without glasses it will. Here is a promo from ABC a few years back from my archives

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the improved picture quality of HDTV, but I don't think 3D is gonna be that big of a deal with the average consumer.

I'm never gonna be all excited to sit down and watch a sitcom in 3D, or a chick flick movie, or a stand up comedy show.

When HDTV came out and programs started being made in HD format everyone could see the improvement. 3D TV isn't going to appeal to the masses like HDTV does.

Only 50% or so of the homes in the US have an HDTV now.

Not unless it is a "free" feature built-in to the HDTV. To be honest, I don't mind going to the show and watching a 3D movies 3-4 times per year (certainly don't like paying $3 extra per ticket), but I have no desire to watch 3DTV in my home.

Me either. I consider this a fad that won't catch on at home. After all , we have had 3 - D movies since the 1950s. The 3-D thing comes and goes every few years. I don't think you will convince Americans to buy another tv -just because it is 3-D, not in these bad times. Especially if you have to have special $100.00 3-D glasses for everyone that watches the show.

Another thought is that some people might be getting sick and tired of having to upgrade equipment all the time to stay current. You buy an HDTV then a few years later you hear that you should go out and buy a new 1080p HDTV. You own a DVD player then you find out a few years later you should buy a bluray 1080p DVD player if you want to best quality. The person that just got an 1080p HDTV isn't going to run out and buy a 3D compatible 1080p HDTV a year or 2 from now.

One of the reasons people get an HD Television today is because that's all they sell new. When your set breaks you go get a new one. That's all you can buy so it's not much of a choice. I don't see 3D sets only being sold anytime soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts