Would you do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fully restored 1970 Hemi Charger. I'm thinking of Selling it at auction or to a private owner ,who I might add offered me $75,000 . But I want to buy one of these. Chevrolet | 2009 Chevy Corvette ZR1 Sport Convertible

Smart or Dumb

Nice cars, but they will depreciate a long time before they become an investment. Had a friend who convinced his wife back in the late C4 timeframe that a ZR1 would be an appreciating asset. It's still depreciating and will do so faster now that the C6 ZR1 is available.

It will probably be a lot more fun to drive, though.

I can see the appeal of the new one -- the key question is are you willing to give up the restored car? Only you can answer that one.

Nice cars, but they will depreciate a long time before they become an investment. Had a friend who convinced his wife back in the late C4 timeframe that a ZR1 would be an appreciating asset. It's still depreciating and will do so faster now that the C6 ZR1 is available.

It will probably be a lot more fun to drive, though.
Thats what is really scaring me. I want it mainly as a new investment!. If I wanted it just to Drive, for fun , I could easily settle for a just a Basic corvette. Or even the new Challenger!

Thats what is really scaring me. I want it mainly as a new investment!. If I wanted it just to Drive, for fun , I could easily settle for a just a Basic corvette. Or even the new Challenger!

Well, if the market weren't so bad, I'd say, sell it for $75,000 and then invest the money. :)

That might still not be a bad thing.

If you want it just for an investment then I think it is a terrible idea.

I can see the appeal of the new one -- the key question is are you willing to give up the restored car? Only you can answer that one.
Its going to be tough. I'm attached to it .Its a member of the family. My grandparents bought it brand new. I got it 14 years ago,when they passed away. I started restoring it back in 1999 and finished it in 2004. I thought about maybe Barrett Jackson action! But I'm afraid its just going to get passed back and forth, for a profit. I want who ever would have it to keep it ,maybe for their grand children. But I want an investment car, just don't want to restore anymore cars.

Knowing nothing about collectible cars, if you keep it, will it continue to grow in value? IF so, wouldn't that be the best bet? Since, you want an investment car.

Yes , but I'm thinking maybe while its wanted ,I should try and sell it before something bad happends to it . Like Fire,Theft,wreaked,Tornado. I don't want to see that stuff happen to this car. This car is Haunting me, Badly! I know sounds dumb! But its a constant reminder of My grandparents ,Not that its a bad thing ! Its just tough reminder of how they died in a car wreak! "Not this car" But I thought restoring it would be a request of theirs,so I restored it. But I still don't feel satisfied about it. Selling it is the only thing I can think of thats left.

Yes , but I'm thinking maybe while its wanted ,I should try and sell it before something bad happends to it . Like Fire,Theft,wreaked,Tornado. I don't want to see that stuff happen to this car. This car is Haunting me, Badly! I know sounds dumb! But its a constant reminder of My grandparents ,Not that its a bad thing ! Its just tough reminder of how they died in a car wreak! "Not this car" But I thought restoring it would be a request of theirs,so I restored it. But I still don't feel satisfied about it. Selling it is the only thing I can think of thats left.

Actually, I think that makes a lot of sense. In which case, the question is what do you do with the money. Of course, any other investment car would have the same risks of fire, theft, etc.... BUT maybe you could get that other corvette you were interested in; and use the difference to invest. :)

Hemi. If you make the transaction, what will your new name be??:rolleyes:

Actually, I think that makes a lot of sense. In which case, the question is what do you do with the money. Of course, any other investment car would have the same risks of fire, theft, etc.... BUT maybe you could get that other corvette you were interested in; and use the difference to invest. :)
I'm thinking of that too. I want something ! The garage is my only place I can truly be alone without thinking about business,Satellite, Wife. Its my quiet time! So i need something else to sit next to my The other charger. Which I do drive now that the snow stopped!

I'm thinking of that too. I want something ! The garage is my only place I can truly be alone without thinking about business,Satellite, Wife. Its my quiet time! So i need something else to sit next to my The other charger. Which I do drive now that the snow stopped!

It sounds like a win-win situation. You get a cool new car; and you also make a good investment, which keeps on growing. :)

Don't do it Hemi!!! As much as I am a vette fan and really don't care for the old Mopar's, it would be a bad choice IMO to get rid of the charger for the new vette. The charger has some nice value and will most likely only go up while the new vette will only lose money over the foreseeable future. If you see the need to get rid of it sell it for another classic.

the challenger is gone be bad ass , but don't look for much boost from supercharger or turbo because they have higher compression . Screw the vet spend $20,000 on mustang GT & another $20,000 on suspenion,brakes & kenne bell blower 800 rwhp ( more if you like) & spank ANYTHING on the Road ( yes even $100,000 cars)

It may well be at it's peak value. And from your posts, it really sounds like it's time to go. Separate from it.

Sell. But I agree with Charper1- don't plow the money into another car that you "think" might appreciate in value. I think those days are gone. The next 5-10 years will see a massive transformation in cars. Even gasoline itself may be on it's way out in 10 years. Today's automobiles are probably not a good investment.

You'll find some other use for the money.

Actually, there is something to be said for selling it now. It is a rare and highly sought after car, but for how much longer?

I remember in the early '80s when the value of Model A's and restored early Ford V8's crashed. It was because these were the cars my parents' generatuion cherished and related to. As they started dying off and/or shedding 'stuff', the supply quickly exceeded the demand and prices plummeted. Still hasn't rebounded. Did you watch Barret Jackson lately. How many non-hot rodded '30s cars were featured? Any Fords?

A Hemi Mopar was a dream car for an awful lot of boomer boys. They are now in their '50s and can afford therir own Dukes or Bullit-mobile (yeah, I know the bad guys drove the charger, but stay with me here) These guys are ready to pay the big bucks right now, but 10 years from now, it will be 32 roadsters all over again.

My 26 yo daughter and friends probably wouldn't appreciate a hemi Charger. A fair number wouldn't even recognize it. They are hung up on the warmed over rice rockets of the '80s-'90s. Supras, Z cars, Preludes, CRXs, etc. These are the cars that will be the price leaders in 2020. That Charger won't be crushed, but it isn't going to command this sort of premium.

I would say if you are trying to combine an investment with a project, something to give you an excuse for garage time, I would look at good condition examples of the legendary cars of the '80s. They are cheap right now, and the good ones got better than average care. I'd say look for an NSX, Audi Quattro coupe, 928-S4, BMW 635, etc. These are the ones people will be looking for in ten years.

Me, I'm between projects, having just shed a 58 MG and a 71 Saab Sonett. My daily driver is a well cared for 1990 BMW 535.

My 26 yo daughter and friends probably wouldn't appreciate a hemi Charger. A fair number wouldn't even recognize it. They are hung up on the warmed over rice rockets of the '80s-'90s. Supras, Z cars, Preludes, CRXs, etc. These are the cars that will be the price leaders in 2020. That Charger won't be crushed, but it isn't going to command this sort of premium..
Exactly, It doesn't turn heads with younger crownd like it used to. I've been noticing this for quite some time now. The under 30 crowd mostly seem to walk by and look at that Nice M3, or NSX,newer Corvettes. I'm only 30, but I gotta tell ya, I'm starting to do the same. And driving one of these old muscle cars is only OK anymore at best. It handles like sh*t, rides like crap, brakes suck, Fuel mileage is like driving a big rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)