Would you do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like it would be a good time to let it go, but please don't get a vette if you're looking for a good investment. XD

I have been an active member of the collector car community for 20 years. Not all Vettes depreciate, but the C4 did badly. The last Barret Jackson auction I attended had a ZR1 that sold for 28k. That is 25k less that it cost new. And it only had 1700 miles on it. The early models continue to rise, i.e. 63-68, or 53-59, but there are currently no new cars except for rare exotics in limited production that will appreciate. If you want real fun and a car that will keep it's value, look at the 2009 Nissan GTR. It will be about 80k and will outrun and outperform the Vette, viper and everything else.

2009 Nissan GT-R - Road Test/Japanese Performance/High Performance/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

I have been an active member of the collector car community for 20 years. Not all Vettes depreciate, but the C4 did badly. The last Barret Jackson auction I attended had a ZR1 that sold for 28k. That is 25k less that it cost new. And it only had 1700 miles on it. The early models continue to rise, i.e. 63-68, or 53-59, but there are currently no new cars except for rare exotics in limited production that will appreciate. If you want real fun and a car that will keep it's value, look at the 2009 Nissan GTR. It will be about 80k and will outrun and outperform the Vette, viper and everything else.

2009 Nissan GT-R - Road Test/Japanese Performance/High Performance/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

I just read about the GT-R last week , thats one bad ass car (although not totally sold on it "gay looking" headlights ( they look dorky )

I just read about the GT-R last week , thats one bad ass car (although not totally sold on it "gay looking" headlights ( they look dorky )
I'm not either! AWD to heavy,Hard to launch at the drag strip without frying the clutch! 2-3 bad hard launches and this baby is going stright to the shop.

Buy a Tesla Roadster. Production runs are only in the 600 cars/year and they run about $100,000. I would say they have a good chance of holding value in the long run, even if gasoline becomes a relic fuel of the past. I don't think humans are ditching electricity anytime soon.

The moment those keys pass from your hand you'll loose that "something " that you had when you pulled the door handle and felt the solid and heavy click of the door latch as it let go of the post pin, the feel of sliding into the seat with its thick padding and hard springs, the moment of buckling the lap belt and wishing for a shoulder belt, the snickt sound of the key going into the ignition, the smell of timelessness and leather, the heart pounding rush when the engine starts up and you put it into drive, there isnt a new car out there that can give you that with its plastic body panels and add company media hype. It's terrible how your grandparents passed away definitely but maybe you should look at the good times they had with the car and see it as a bright and happy time in their lives wich Im sure they had many driving that car.

I'm not either! AWD to heavy,Hard to launch at the drag strip without frying the clutch! 2-3 bad hard launches and this baby is going stright to the shop.

You can't fry the clutch, they come auto trans only and in the many tests done on the car they experienced no problems at all and the AWD is what helped it beat everyone else in handling. Launching is actually quite easy, just nail the throttle and hold on.

This is a link to a group that explains the car well. I have one on order and am told it will be here June 5th. They are currently selling for over MSRP and are already considered collectibles.

Nissan GTR Club.com - The 2009 Nissan GT-R R35 Owners' Community (established 2006) - Powered by vBulletin

Buy a Tesla Roadster. Production runs are only in the 600 cars/year and they run about $100,000. I would say they have a good chance of holding value in the long run, even if gasoline becomes a relic fuel of the past. I don't think humans are ditching electricity anytime soon.

I disagree with you. The problem with electric cars is that we all know that technology changes fast and prices go down. The same will be true with the Tesla. Batteries will get better and the price will go down and Tesla in a couple years will be considered "Old Hat" Also, the batteries in the car will need replacement eventually and the price of those batteries could easily exceed the value of the car. Take the Prius as an example. The battery life on those cars is around ten years and the replacement cost is said to exceed $10k. And that is not with the same batteries the Tesla has. tesla has thousands of Nicad's and although more powerful, the life span is shorter.

Now as far whether they may be collectible later on, maybe, but only the market can tell. But I am sure that the Big auto companies will catch up and maybe pass them in the future.

Last edited:
The Tesla uses lithium ion. Click on ESS and then read under the pic.

The car has something like 6800 batteries. The problem they have is that these are extermely heat and cold sensitive. Temps higher or lower than optimun shortens the range of the batteries as well as the overall life. I would think you would need to live in a pretty temperate area to really get the most the car has to offer. But it is a great looking car.

You can't fry the clutch, they come auto trans only and in the many tests done on the car they experienced no problems at all and the AWD is what helped it beat everyone else in handling. Launching is actually quite easy, just nail the throttle and hold on.

This is a link to a group that explains the car well. I have one on order and am told it will be here June 5th. They are currently selling for over MSRP and are already considered collectibles.

Nissan GTR Club.com - The 2009 Nissan GT-R R35 Owners' Community (established 2006) - Powered by vBulletin
Automatic? I got one of those already!. I want a manual trans! My 2006 SRT-8 is a 5 speed auto . Easy to launch,No doubt. But Boring as all hell!:D

Automatic? I got one of those already!. I want a manual trans! My 2006 SRT-8 is a 5 speed auto . Easy to launch,No doubt. But Boring as all hell!:D

You can shift it manually, but most companies with high performance cars now use a manual shifting auto. They can better control the abuse of the car, plus, most new autos can shift better and faster than the average person can.

You can shift it manually, but most companies with high performance cars now use a manual shifting auto. They can better control the abuse of the car, plus, most new autos can shift better and faster than the average person can.

I don't care what anyone on this board or anyone else says. There is no new Corvette or Nissan that will give you the same rush to drive as the Charger that Hemi described. I am 25 years old, and most of what I see the high school kids go for now is looks and speed. My next door neighbor thinks his 1965 Ford Mustang is cool because he got it repainted with muscle stripes and has loud exhaust. Yeah, it looks nice, but it has a V-6. Its a nice car, but don't ever try to impress me with a V-6 muscle car.

The same with these HS kids and their "fast" little foreign cars with 4 cylinder engines. Give me a break. You can supercharge and gear almost anything to go fast. I have more respect for a car that is a little heavier, but has a some real horsepower under the hood.

I know, I am old school, and the way fuel prices are going, V-8 powerhouses are probably long gone as more car companies try to squeeze more power out of 4 and 6 cylinders. But nothing gives me more satasfaction than driving a Mint condition 1960's Muscle car.

I don't care what anyone on this board or anyone else says. There is no new Corvette or Nissan that will give you the same rush to drive as the Charger that Hemi described. I am 25 years old, and most of what I see the high school kids go for now is looks and speed. My next door neighbor thinks his 1965 Ford Mustang is cool because he got it repainted with muscle stripes and has loud exhaust. Yeah, it looks nice, but it has a V-6. Its a nice car, but don't ever try to impress me with a V-6 muscle car.

The same with these HS kids and their "fast" little foreign cars with 4 cylinder engines. Give me a break. You can supercharge and gear almost anything to go fast. I have more respect for a car that is a little heavier, but has a some real horsepower under the hood.

I know, I am old school, and the way fuel prices are going, V-8 powerhouses are probably long gone as more car companies try to squeeze more power out of 4 and 6 cylinders. But nothing gives me more satasfaction than driving a Mint condition 1960's Muscle car.
:flag::heart:clap:bow@party:up:eureka::yes

When you compare old to new as far as muscle cars, I agree, the older cars sound better and seem faster. But the way horsepower was rated back in the 60's and 70's is different now than the way they are rated now. SAE vs the Net formula. And the figures today are actually more accurate. The Nissan GTR with a V-6 and twin turbos has close to 500 horsepower. With todays electronics and mechanical sophistication, the new car is more reliable, gets better mileage and will last longer with fewer problems. The old muscle cars were boats. I have a 1969 Hemi Roda Runner. It is wicked fast, but only in a straight line. The handling sucks, the brakes are crap and it gets 12 miles per gallon if you don't push it. As far as sounds and looks, it is great, but the fun factor is better in the newer car.
When I drive my Road runner it brings back memories of my youth as it was my first brand new car. But for an overall excitement of driving, give me the better handling, better braking and better gas mileage new car.

Its going to be tough. I'm attached to it .Its a member of the family. My grandparents bought it brand new. I got it 14 years ago,when they passed away
. I started restoring it back in 1999 and finished it in 2004. I thought about maybe Barrett Jackson action! But I'm afraid its just going to get passed back and forth, for a profit. I want who ever would have it to keep it ,maybe for their grand children. But I want an investment car, just don't want to restore anymore cars.

Sounds like your answer is right there. This car is a classic, the Vette, well that's just a Vette. They're everywhere. Come to Detroit in August for the dream cruise, and you'll never sell that car.

I fully understand what you say, but when you get older you too will more appreciate cars that are more comfortable and easier to drive. Google old muscle car tests on the net. you will see that most of the so called Muscle cars of the 60's and 70's, in stock form, are slower than the modern versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)