Would you pay for VOOM Exclusive channels?

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
The 21 Exclusive HD channels are currently bundled with each programming package. Suppose they were sold separately as one HD Plus Pack for $14.90 and the price of your current package was reduced accordingly. Would you buy them as a separate Plus Pack? Are they worth $14.90 for you?

The exclusive channels are:

100 HDNews
101-110 HD Cinema10 (10 channels)
121 Monsters HD
122 Epics HD
123 WorldSport HD
124 Rush HD
125 Rave HD
126 Ultra HD
127 Auction HD
128 Gallery HD
129 MOOV HD
130 Animania HD​

no, and actually the better question is : "could voom sell these channels to other providers?" I doubt it. When I made the move from directv to voom I did so to get more HD premiums for 79.99 and hoped they would get espnhd which they did. I also knew I would miss HDnet. These channels cover some of the things HDnet has but not all. We badly need INhd. The other reason I came to voom is because they included these HD channels in the basic package. If it became an extra fee I would go back to D*. Voom is supposed to be an HD provider not a provider that you can get HD channels from if you pay extra. IF it were a pay pak then for me, the D* with their future premiums and sunday ticket would become more attractive.

I voted no but I would vote yes if they do the folowing improvements:

Rave & Rush: more new content (less repetitions)
Cinema 10: more recent movies, less repetition
WorldSport: give me more than Soccer
HDNews: add more content (live coverage and special reports)

Walter L. said:

I agree but there would have to be a doubling of content and some investments in major US sporting events which would be very hard to secure.

I voted Yes only because I don't watch any of the SD channels, so I would love to reduce my bill accordingly.

Maybe this would be a better set of options:

1.Voom cable favorites: $24.90 monthly
2.Voom HD exclusives: $14.90 monthly
3.Voom Premium Plus-packs(4): $39.90 monthly
B. individual plus-packs: $14.90 first, $24.90 two, $32.90 three
Let the customer build their own package with no minium requirement.

Walter L. said:

ya exactly. heck no i aint paying for that crap. only reason i have voom is cause they have all the HD channels that normal companies would charge extrra for. like discovery and espn and plus u get the standard channels too. so i kinda see it as just paying for SD. i can give a rats butt bout vooms gay channels.

Here is my break-down:

Since I love soccer, I would certainly pay to watch LaLiga matches live in HD. The usual PPV price for games of this level is $20-25 per game, and that's in SD! So, WorldSport channel alone is well worth $14.90, as far as I am concerned.

Among 12 movie channels (Cinema10 + Epics + Monsters) we get more than 100 new movies each month (Sean would have the precise number). I wouldn't mind to have more, but even 100 is not a small number. For sure I can pick 3-4 to watch each month to cover the $14.90 DVD rental cost.

I like to watch Gallery from time to time; Ultra is my wife's most favorite channel; Rush, Rave and Moov make good background watching when I don't want to concentrate on TV while doing other things; and a daily dose of HDNews is not bad too. I probably wouldn't pay 14.90 for these channels alone, but as a part of the entire package they add good variety.

For me and my family VOOM Exclusive channels are well worth $14.90 a month. I think I could even double that, but maybe it's just me...

IMO, only PlayboyHD worth $14.90/mo, VOOM won't sell its channels well (if sold separately). I will definitely drop VOOM if they do that.

Ilya said:
Here is my break-down:

Since I love soccer, I would certainly pay to watch LaLiga matches live in HD.
I agree, I'd pay $14.90 for WorldSport for the soccer games alone. However, I would like to ring the neck of the VOOM program director for putting on *&^%@&^% dog shows and sheep herding on this channel!!!! Let Animal Planet do the animal shows, sheesh.

Ilya said:
Among 12 movie channels (Cinema10 + Epics + Monsters) we get more than 100 new movies each month (Sean would have the precise number).
I doubt there are 100 new (as in never before shown on VOOM) movies per month. My guess is that there are less than 50 new movies each month.

Ilya said:
Here is my break-down:

Since I love soccer, I would certainly pay to watch LaLiga matches live in HD. The usual PPV price for games of this level is $20-25 per game, and that's in SD! So, WorldSport channel alone is well worth $14.90, as far as I am concerned.

"Joking, not Flaming "

$20-$25 per game is fot the EPL, La Liga is for free, they don't have Manchester United.

:D :D :D

I went to VOOM for HDTV not SD. I have SD on DTV with Tivo. The setup is fine as it is but they should be more competitive. They are selling the other HD packages for $14.90 and DTV is selling them for $12 each or 2 for $23. Voom should follow this lead.

Yes - apparently, I'm willing to pay about $39.90 for them. ;) - Well, I guess $30-35 or so if you give $5-10 for ESPN-HD, Discovery, and BravoHD+

I don't watch ANY of the SD channels. None.

I think that we are already paying for these channels. Just because they are included in the basic package doesn't mean that they are free.

andrzej said:
I think that we are already paying for these channels. Just because they are included in the basic package doesn't mean that they are free.

You are absolutly correct. You know the margin VOOM is gettig on these channels? Its pretty high.
If you add up the average cost to programming providers per channel you would see how much VOOM is actually getting. I can't divulge confidential industry info on channel costs but they have quite a sum of money to work with per channel.
In addition they have Cablevision negotiating for carriage terms. They are one of the toughest in the industry and know how much things cost.
VOOM channels are the bread and butter of the company. They make money off subscriber fees and programmer fees.

rudolpht said:
No, but if Epics showed EPICS I would pay double.
Agree. I'm tell you, if they just added Braveheart it would totally make the channel worthwhile. Also, add some of AMC's lineup to Cinema 10. Butch and Sundance, Willy Wonka, etc. AMC also has exclusive rights to Shane. How can Voom not show Shane, the greatest western ever? Cablevision owns both AMC and Voom. It's all just sitting there.

I had to vote no. It's just not worth it. Unless, as others have suggested, PBHOTHD counts as a Voom exclusive :dev

I agree with an earlier post, La Liga in HD is worth 15.00 a month by itself - for me at least. WorldSport was the single most important factor for me to give Voom a try.

That said, I find that I do like some of the other Voom exclusive offerings. I think Rave, with continued content additions, will be a solid channel that I will continue to watch. Ultra, Auction, Gallery, and Moov all have some interest for me and, even more importantly, for my wife. They are taking the edge off of losing some of the channels she liked on DirectTV. If more new compelling content gets added to these channels, they too will be solid HD channels for certain niche audiences.

Most of these forums are dominated by men and the talk about channels, programming, and content tend to focus on what men like - Sports, action movies and series. Other type of programing gets devalued. As HD gains more market penetration there will be other audiences - women and men that aren't the alpha technology adopters - who will be eager to watch a completely different set of programming. There is a reason that TLC, Bravo, HGTV, BBC America, and Food have found significant audiences in the last couple of years. That audience has probably been/continues to be the slowest to adapt to HD but eventually they will have HD sets and will want to watch the type of "cultural/style" programing that Voom is offering with some of it's exclusive channels.

So, I guess my point is that I think these channels, while not necessarily my first choice of entertainment, are actually composed of some nice shows (albeit too few nice shows at the moment) and they are a value proposition in certain families or with viewers that aren't strictly sport obsessed.

add a hd racing channel with all forms of racing like sprint cars etc. and drop moov.moov needs to move elsewhere.i think you need to be on something for that channel to be good.if they did that id pay a premium.i can say i do like rush and saw 2 shows tonight that were really good.moto pig, and one with robby gordon racing in a baja race.i think they are on the right track there with rush.plus i like the splash screens on rush!id say so far rave, monsters,rush,and hd news is about it for me.the cinema 10 is pretty lame imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts