This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Would you pay more for more HD content?

tconnors said:
In 2-3 years there will be almost no analog, and more than 50% of sets will likely be HD... it seems HD should gradually become "the norm", at prices no greater than they are now.
I agree that prices will drop, but don't expect HD to be the norm other than on movie and other quality entertainment channels, new film to video transfer will be needed for true HD.

EDTV will become the most popular format when 16:9 aspect ratio TVs become the norm. I suspect mant broadcasters will be doing 16:9 EDTV production and broadcast it upconverted to HDTV with a 4:3 SDTV simulcast. For the next few years I wouldn't expect true HD from most production equipment. Five to ten years out that will change.

JL

I for one would pay $150/mo if they gave me every major HD channel available right now without any loss in current HD quality...but I'm nuts like that. If I decide to dump E* for a Voom & cable combo my bill is going to be close to that anyway. I mean don't get me wrong, I won't like paying that much (who would?) but that is what it's going to cost me to get all the content I want.