DVR getting more useless (less accurate)?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bchandler02

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Anyone else noticing that the DVR is becoming less effective? Not sure if Dish or the guide provider or someone else is to blame, but I regularly have shows that are airing new episodes, but the timer doesn't pick them up.
Shows include most shows on Smithsonian Channel, Battlebots (on Discovery), Highway thru Hell (TWC).

The weird thing is they don't even show the indicator that a timer is set but it isn't a new episode. It just appears that there is no timer set at all, and when I go to the timer, it shows no events under that timer despite their being active airings in the guide.

I've been noticing this lately too with Discovery shows like Gold Rush. I keep having to manually record the new episodes because my timer misses them.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I noticed that the skip function on my Hopper3, sometimes only skips half the 4 minute commercials and then the bell rings again to skip the remaining 2 minutes, but then sometimes it skip the next 5-6 minutes of program instead. That is when a program even has skip. Many in Primetime don't anymore.

Networks prefer that you watch their programs live and not DVR them and skip commercials. Since the law allows us to record and skip, they throw monkey wrenches wherever they can - passive agressive.
I guess they are stepping up their game, has been a very rare issue until the last few months.
Their loss, now I just don't watch those shows at all

Anyone else noticing that the DVR is becoming less effective? Not sure if Dish or the guide provider or someone else is to blame, but I regularly have shows that are airing new episodes, but the timer doesn't pick them up.
Shows include most shows on Smithsonian Channel, Battlebots (on Discovery), Highway thru Hell (TWC).
My Battlebots timer has been working flawlessly this season, however, I just discovered that the DVR has missed every new episode of Graham Norton on BBC America.

• Wow
2 or 3 weeks ago I noticed that a timer wasn't going to record new episodes of the "Tonight Show". I used the guide to create a new timer and moved it in the timer list directly behind the old timer where it had exactly the same name. Since then only the new timer worked so I delete the old timer.

2 or 3 weeks ago I noticed that a timer wasn't going to record new episodes of the "Tonight Show". I used the guide to create a new timer and moved it in the timer list directly behind the old timer where it had exactly the same name. Since then only the new timer worked so I delete the old timer.

I am seeing this alot as well. Times that worked last season with the exact same name and channel are having to be re-created this season.

I think sometimes the name changes a little or something I am always going thru and looking what is scheduled and what I think it on and then just click on record series. For batttlebots I had some old shows be marked as new so I have 2 episodes being recorded. I do wish sometimes I could do a wildcard and other times not. 90 Day Fiance ( wife watches) has a "pillow talk" version which gets recorded all the time and I have to go in to delete it!

I think sometimes the name changes a little or something I am always going thru and looking what is scheduled and what I think it on and then just click on record series. For batttlebots I had some old shows be marked as new so I have 2 episodes being recorded. I do wish sometimes I could do a wildcard and other times not. 90 Day Fiance ( wife watches) has a "pillow talk" version which gets recorded all the time and I have to go in to delete it!
I had the same issue with old episodes being recorded as new. It was right this week though.

I keep it simple, record all episodes and just delete those not wanted or already seen. Much less aggravation. As for skipping, my issue is with the skip back function. For several months now (since about last August) the skip back shown as 10 secs actually jumps back 20 secs (I have timed it several times). I'm going to climb on board and join the whiners now and say - maybe, before spending any more resources on the cobbled together integrated streaming UI, Dish should think about cleaning up some of the long existing issues within the basic platform. Time to fix some of these seemingly minor, but altogether annoying, issues before adding any more bells and whistles.

Time to fix some of these seemingly minor, but altogether annoying, issues before adding any more bells and whistles.
I'll whine a bit also . . . The skip back and skip forward is problematic. Basically they work most of the time as they should, but not always. Same with the fast forward and reverse. And here's another vote for the 4x forward and reverse. 15x is just too fast sometimes. I can easily live with this stuff but it would be nice if the programmers cleaned this up a bit.

I keep it simple, record all episodes and just delete those not wanted or already seen. Much less aggravation. As for skipping, my issue is with the skip back function. For several months now (since about last August) the skip back shown as 10 secs actually jumps back 20 secs (I have timed it several times). I'm going to climb on board and join the whiners now and say - maybe, before spending any more resources on the cobbled together integrated streaming UI, Dish should think about cleaning up some of the long existing issues within the basic platform. Time to fix some of these seemingly minor, but altogether annoying, issues before adding any more bells and whistles.
like RETURNING 4X FF dammitt! Or explain why not!!!!

Sorry to jump into the discussion late, been away from the site for a while. There have been a lot of issues with the guide and recording programs.

Recently I noticed that timers didn't record programs. One reason there have been a lot of guide changes/corrections after the timer is setup.

An example, on UpTV I setup timers to record seasons 2 & 3 of the Chosen in HD. Had to setup each separately because the didn't seem setup as a series. Checking back the timers weren't linked to the programs because the schedule was altered. This happened twice.