DVR getting more useless (less accurate)?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yup, I need to sometimes reset a timer because something in the guide changes to tell it if it's a NEW program or not. Happens a lot with the Tonight Show. If you don't want to miss any, tell it to record New and Repeats. It will only record one episode and if it missed the 1st one it will catch one of the reruns.

I don't think we can fault Dish on this one. They go by the guide data and the info that's stored in the timer. If it doesn't match the timer, then it's not NEW.

I had a similar issue, and saw that the description of each episode was slightly different. I'm guessing that triggered it to read as a new episode...
I have been experiencing a lot of recorded shows that, when you click on one in season sort view, will bring up all the episodes that are recorded, but will have created multiple duplicate seasons.

Imagine you have 10 shows from season 6 – it may disperse these 10 shows into 1, 2, or who knows how many season 6 “folders”, each with varying numbers of episodes of season 6. So what you may end up with for a show that spans multiple seasons is 1season 1 folder, 3 season 2 folders, 7 season 3 folders, 1 season 4 folder, etc.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Networks and/or TV stations are manipulating the metadata associated with shows by adding a little content that is different or whatever and marking that as a "new" show. Especially bad with "reality" shows.

I too often go into analytical mode on these things. Here are a couple of things I recently noticed:

Our problems occur when you look at the Information for a program on the Guide and the info on the Summary tab does not agree with the info on the Episodes tab.

The Episodes tab tends to be correct but, the Summary tab lacks detail which seems to be the cause of most problems.

Sometimes on the Summary tab the Showtimes button will not appear, but if you go to Episodes and return it will with differing descriptions. This affects whether they will link to allow recording a series.

That seems to be as far as I can take it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Networks and/or TV stations are manipulating the metadata associated with shows by adding a little content that is different or whatever and marking that as a "new" show. Especially bad with "reality" shows.
I also find that true for the SCI channel, and all other channels owned by Discovery Network. On SCI in particular they will smash to old 1 hour programs in series together for a 2 hour program and call it “new”.

The problem I have with these antics is that Dish just passes the buck and says “we just use the info the networks give us”. But I buy this service (guide info and new/old episode service) from Dish, not the individual networks. I would have expected Dish to impose guide info standards as part of the re-trans agreements and do the policing. Otherwise, Dish is letting the networks cheapen and degrade Dish’s brand experience.

But as has been noted many times before, while this would enhance the user experience, it’s not a direct money making process which is not in Charlie’s nature.

Reactions: Jim S. and TheKrell