Would you swap an 811 for a 510?

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, I have been on D since 6/7/05. I have 1 HD ready tv in the living room and 1 non HD tv in the bedroom. I am not happy with the non HD picture quality on both of the 811's. Both tv's have the same fuzzy, not sharp picture on non HD channels. I spoke with a tech person today at D. I was offered a 510 receiver for the bedroom at no charge. I was also told the 811 does not have any where near as good a picture as the 510. I find it interesting that the 811 has a near perfect picture on the HD channels. I don't plan to buy a tv with HD for the bedroom. I do, however record many movies and programs on DVD and VHS in both rooms. I need a good picture signal. I have no experience with DVRs. I have 7 VCRs, 2 DVD recorders, and 2 DVD play decks in my house. I get all my movie channels on my C-band 4DTV digital receiver. I am leasing from D for 2 years. What are your thoughts? I was told I have 30 days from when I was installed to change out any equipment at no charge. Thanks for any info you can offer on the 510 and my overall situation.

Make sure you are in 1080i and not 480p on the DVI/component connection.

But if HD is sharp then the SD pictures can be decent especially on premium channels. I'm finding even Sci-Fi/basic channels zoomed is OK most of the time for viewing on my RPTV.

The 811 will make good-to-excellent DVD recordings from s-video especially from an HD source. Too bad my DVD+Rs do not capture closed captions.

BTW, D or D* usually indicates DirecTV, not Dish or E* for Echostar.
-Ken

I just had the 811 installed a couple of days ago and I too was VERY disappointed and surprised that the SD PQ was so POOR - unlike my old 508 [which used S-Video hookup]. Reading the forums on the 811 I found that many end up using their DVI or Component hookup for HD and also hook-up a S-Video for SD. So this is what I did too and WALA - NICE crisp SD once again. Only a little inconvenience - you must pull up your INPUT Menu on your TV and switch appropriately -- ie., Cable OR Video1.2...etc. BUT it is worth it!

Good Luck! Michael

I also use the S-Video output on the 811 when watching SD channels. I found that it looks much sharper than watching the SD channels through the DVI or Component outputs. To me it looks about the same as the S-Video from my 508.

Bad lnb?

DVR522 audio popping?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)