Wow terrible service with Dish moving to Directv

Their determination is lack of verification. Again, all in the order it is done.
I'm no legal expert (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but I don't think the contract text would pass a legal challenge to what they are doing.

determine : ascertain or establish exactly
cannot verify : unverifiable

I hd a feeling... Lol, there are a couple of routes, that makes it legal. It would take a good legal team, and I think dish has the one up on that.

So, it comes down to, if anyone wants to stack, switch to DTV. I'll bet their actual "subscriber" households are a couple million more than reported. So, if 2 DTV households are stacked, DTV is losing one potential subscriber's income, but because they can stack more easily on DTV than on Dish, Dish is losing two potential subscribers' income. :D

And if I haven't beat this horse enough, every stacked account that is shut down on Dish is even more lost revenue from a single subscriber, and very likely another addition of a single subscriber revenue to DTV.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
AG would do nothing as you have agreed to it, same goes for your small claims court filing. The new reporters... Well you would have to spin it just right to them. Most(even the consumer watch ones) will not give a damn TBH, once they realize that you refused to do anything on your side. As far as the AMEX chargeback, that's only if you win the dispute, and even if you do, dish will send it to collections.
This all stems from every dish network customer agrees to terms that they must be able to satisfy dish if they beleive their may be stacking. It is left to the customer, who agreed to the stipulation freely, to satisfy them.
I never have had any such agreement with Dish. I have owned my equipment from day one.
I've never signed so much as a single piece of paper. I installed the equipment myself. I was a tech for 12 years.
Snarky comment coming, mr attorney?

Reactions: dare2be
After seeing your post, Dish reps are going to begin the shutdown of the audit group/process ! :imshocked
Yes. I'm sure the audit team is all over this thread..
The name of this thread should be changed to "the black cloud that floats over me"..

So, it comes down to, if anyone wants to stack, switch to DTV. I'll bet their actual "subscriber" households are a couple million more than reported. So, if 2 DTV households are stacked, DTV is losing one potential subscriber's income, but because they can stack more easily on DTV than on Dish, Dish is losing two potential subscribers' income. :D

And if I haven't beat this horse enough, every stacked account that is shut down on Dish is even more lost revenue from a single subscriber, and very likely another addition of a single subscriber revenue to DTV.

From my perspective working both providers & seeing a lot out in the field stacking is equally rampant on both.

From my perspective working both providers & seeing a lot out in the field stacking is equally rampant on both.
Assuming that to be true, then that means that the auditing activities are ineffective and a waste of money funding an entire department (in fact, it is a department that by design is shutting down revenue streams).

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeD-C05
IMO I believe they are ineffective. They catch a few but the vast majority are business as usual.

I never have had any such agreement with Dish. I have owned my equipment from day one.
I've never signed so much as a single piece of paper. I installed the equipment myself. I was a tech for 12 years.
Snarky comment coming, mr attorney?
YOUR ACTIVATION OF A DISH NETWORK ACCOUNT AND
RECEIPT OF DISH NETWORK SERVICES OR EQUIPMENT SHALL CONSTITUT
E YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF
THIS AGREEMENT. Also in the RSA

What's sad is that any of this is necessary. So many people feel like it is okay to steal from a large company.

The methods are very similar. Every time you write a check or use a credit card to buy something at a retail store, they assume you are dishonest and go through steps to validate your payment. The alarms on the front door are because they expect you to walk out with their merchandise without paying. The cops are there to arrest you if you try.

The inference is the same. However, since we are so accustomed to seeing these measures, we're not offended. When Dish calls us up and asks us to verify that we are using their service appropriately, we get offended.

I'm not suggesting that any Dish employee who behaves rudely or insulting should be tolerated. I am saying that Dish needs to and has chosen to verify that their customers are abiding by the contract terms and not stealing service. Once again, if you have a better method then make the suggestion to Dish, maybe they'll use it. So far, the only suggestion I've seen is to require people to either purchase landline phone service or internet service.

That isn't what I suggested at all. I said if the customer doesn't have either a phone line or an internet connection ,then they should be limited to one receiver on their account or one hopper/joey account. This eliminates all the stacking possibilities ,unless the joey is being run to the neighbors .

Years ago working cable they would pay us for every unauthorized hookup we found & disconnected. It was part of my pay so I audited every tap I came across. They quit paying so I quit auditing.

Field personnel are the best people for a system's security. They see & hear everything.

Now if dish & directv would pay for that info guess what....I'd be rich. I wouldn't think twice about earning some extra money busting some stackers & hackers. Heck satcams which I believe dish backs is offering a $50k reward for known iks server locations...http://satscams.com/

If they were serious about stackers they would've done something more diligent by now.

At first glance, one could say that the programmers are requiring auditing on the accounts, but at second glance, Directv isn't doing audits. They used to disconnect additional receivers that were not connected to a phone line but quit doing that.

Directv is probably making money on not being able to do the audits. Their system does not allow them to do what Dish can. They could have implemented that into their system if they wanted to though but chose not to. For every account they lose to stacking they probably gain enough to make up for two accounts with the fees that they get and the customers they got from other companies.

Assuming that to be true, then that means that the auditing activities are ineffective and a waste of money funding an entire department (in fact, it is a department that by design is shutting down revenue streams).
Well I am sure that DIRECTV loves the DISH Audit department. It is helping building revenue streams for the competition, by pushing DISH subs to churn right to DIRECTV's door .:yes

That isn't what I suggested at all. I said if the customer doesn't have either a phone line or an internet connection ,then they should be limited to one receiver on their account or one hopper/joey account. This eliminates all the stacking possibilities ,unless the joey is being run to the neighbors .

I agree, but it would also limit Dish's services to a large number of people. I doubt Dish wants to do that.

By no means do I condone account stacking. However whenever someone posts a link about how many billions Charlie Ergen is worth I almost have a little sympathy towards the stackers.

If dish wanted a secure system they'd have a secure system. In a twisted way I could believe this is Charlie's way of doing a little philanthropy while upholding his image as a ruthless business man.

Having the audit dept is really just a front for the share holders to show them he's trying to combat stacking when in reality they're making very little difference. All the while secretly doing his philanthropy by not having a secure system that allows for stacking & helping people who could not otherwise afford it.

Since this thread is already full of wild speculation I see no need of breaking the theme..;)

Why must people bring Charlie's earnings into matters like this? What he makes has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. None of us actually know how Charlie is making the majority of his income right now. The man probably makes some from salary pay, more from dividends from shares of the company and even more money from investments in other companies. Just because he is worth a lot of money doesn't mean that money is coming from our pockets and we have the right to take advantage of his company.

Well I am sure that DIRECTV loves the DISH Audit department. It is helping building revenue streams for the competition, by pushing DISH subs to churn right to DIRECTV's door .:yes

And the same amount of DirecTV customers are coming to Dish because of shady practices they have. The biggest reason is when they renew a contract for a customer when they replace a bad receiver and don't make the customer aware of it. What I'm trying to say is, your point is moot.

Like I said earlier. The biggest reason DirecTV has more customer is because of brand awareness and their sports offerings. I doubt customer service has much to do with it, especially audits.