Wow terrible service with Dish moving to Directv

chapin4life

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
So yesterday I had a chat with a customer employee for retention to stay with Dish network

today while I'm still at work I get a call from my son complaining that dish didn't work in his room.

I log into my account and to my surprise all my receivers have been removed.

I go back to chat and they say I have to verify my account this and that.

I really don't have all time in world for making calls to dish to verify this and that.

Who do they think they are the satellite police?

Not only do I pay over $100 a month and never missed a payment for over 2 years.

They have the nerve to cancel my service

Cancelling dish moving on to Directv

Last edited:
I am sorry you have had that experience. Account security would have to be performed anytime a representative gets into the account to ensure that we are looking at the correct account and making changes on the correct account, also giving out sensitive information to the wrong party could cause problem for everyone involved in the future. If you would like us to review the account I will be happy to do that for you. I will need you to start a private conversation with me and send me the phone number and 4 digit security code on the account so I can access that information.

I am sorry you have had that experience. Account security would have to be performed anytime a representative gets into the account to ensure that we are looking at the correct account and making changes on the correct account, also giving out sensitive information to the wrong party could cause problem for everyone involved in the future. If you would like us to review the account I will be happy to do that for you. I will need you to start a private conversation with me and send me the phone number and 4 digit security code on the account so I can access that information.

PM sent

Thanks for nothing I guess......

He couldn't help me aswell.

They want me to verify my receivers and I'm not home had a bad day at work my wife and kid call me while I'm busy working overtime to pay the bills, and they have the nerve to cancel my service with no outstanding balance.

makes you think how they value their customers...

Anybody looking at this from Directv send me PM

Personally, I'm not against it. It seems like a legit thing. Funny thing is, people only have a problem with it when they are affected by it, but it has been in the RSA for years.

Well they don't have the courtesy to arrange time and date to do the verification

They just cancel the service while the person in the account is not at home, that's not cool.

While I'm paying my bills on time.

How would you like it if the electrical company would do the same thing when you don't have any outstanding balance.

Personally, I'm not against it. It seems like a legit thing. Funny thing is, people only have a problem with it when they are affected by it, but it has been in the RSA for years.

This is really sucky of dish, this is America... your innocent until proven guilty... Dish seems to take the approach your already guilty, now prove your innocent... not cool!:oldno

Innocent until proven guilty is only applicable in government situations. Companies can treat you guilty until proven innocent if they want, it is on the people to make a stand. I dont see this ruining dish, as again, it's been an active policy for many years.

ChadT41 I see your point of view, I would agree to an audit if it was scheduled ahead of time.

But disabling my service while I'm not home because I'm working that's not cool.

Sometimes I have to be out of town on the weekends.

They like to scare people away who actually pay.
pretty much all they said over the phone and on chat was no soup for you we don't care if your not home. :mad:mad

Innocent until proven guilty is only applicable in government situations. Companies can treat you guilty until proven innocent if they want, it is on the people to make a stand. I dont see this ruining dish, as again, it's been an active policy for many years.

Reactions: Charise
For the response on the pro business side, two things(may not apply just generalized), but they typically operate during operatingn business hours. 9-5. I beleive they even go a little later than that, however, it's not guaranteed you'd be on the list for a call at that time. Secondly, anyone who is home would be welcome to go through the motions, and they will describe everything in detail on how to perform. It does not require someone technologically inclined, just someone who can operate the simple features in the remote, such as up down left right and menu. Your son should have been able to perform this, also your wife. I don't beleive they care who verifies the equipment and location, as long as they can be verified at a single address. You are given one opportunity to do it without them being disabled, but if cannot be completed, then to prevent the capability of setting up a way to get in touch with someone they are account stacking with, they disable the receivers. You can call the number listed, or CS to retrieve that number during normal business hours and they will allow you to walk through how to do it again. Only the receivers that cannot be verified will be disabled.
Lastly, the verification team is the only ones that can unlock the account after that. They always leave one receiver active so your service does remain active. Yes, I am a pro business guy, I do beleive that the people will decide which companies will survive, and I do not agree with rants against stipulations agreed to ahead of time. Ignorance of the proceedings does not absolve responsibility from the account.

So yesterday I had a chat with a customer employee for retention to stay with Dish network
They want me to verify my receivers and I'm not home had a bad day at work my wife and kid call me while I'm busy working overtime to pay the bills, and they have the nerve to cancel my service with no outstanding balance.
It seems like some details are missing here....

This is a standard audit to prevent account stacking. At least that what it sounds like.
It sounds like he tried to get a better deal out of Dish (by contacting the retention group) and he threatened to quit or said something like "just cancel my service" hoping they'd really bite. They called his bluff and cancelled his service. Interesting that Jason-DIRT couldn't help, huh ?

If they audit you, correct me if I'm wrong, but they only shut off the receivers that can't be properly verified. They still leave (1) receiver active though.

That's fine they can do whatever they want I purchased all my receivers.
I'll just verify all my receivers tomorrow over the phone and move to DirecTV on the weekend.
I don't appreciate the way they just shutdown receivers since I'm not home real nice customer service.

And no Hall I did not threaten anybody in retention.

All I said was I got a better offer from Directv but I wanted to stay with Dish since I love the hopper receiver and if it would be possible they could match Directv so I got some credit end of story and this happened today

One less customer for dish even doe they don't care.........

Last edited:
You must work with dish, stop accusing me you don't know what I do for a living and how much i earn and no I'm not working overtime just for dish I have other bills because of the lifestyle I choose to live.

If you like being treated the way I was from dish good for you, I'm moving on

End of story...........

So you are working OT to get by and "pay the bills", but you paid for a Hopper upfront?

I agree dish can do what ever they want, it's just not very "American" the way they are doing it.

I use to have dish and never had a problem but if they pulled this crap with me I would have left. I left anyways but for other reasons. Now that we have a tailgating DVR with direct I could only imagine the trouble that would cause as receiver is usually in my toolbox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)