WPIX-DT HD News?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Yes616

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Poinciana Place, FL
Sorry if something was posted here about this in the past..

I know some of you guys can get WPIX-DT (HD feed of CW11) from New York. I am noticing (for the first time but I don't watch this often at all) a logo on the bottom of the screen while the 10:00PM news is on and it says "CW11HD".

Is this newscast now really in fact HD?

I am a Dish Network sub (now don't flame me please for that.. lol). Dish has recently uplinked this channel but it is not yet available to subscribers so all I can see is the SD feed as that is available to me. I was wondering this as Dish people may be able to see this channel in HD "soon" (a Dish term).. lol, and will this newscast really be in HD?

Thanks for your answer(s).

Well I am not in that DMA but the Zap2it guide says no, BUT you are seeing the bug on the screen; was it 16x9?

Well I am not in that DMA but the Zap2it guide says no, BUT you are seeing the bug on the screen; was it 16x9?

No it's not 16x9 but neither are the other local HD newscasts that I get on their SD counterparts. WCBS, WNBC and WABC do local news in HD in New York City in glorious HD widescreen.

I was looking around and could not find the answer but thought someone here where it's available would know.

Thanks for the fast reponse anyway.

It looks like a lot of the stations broadcasting news in HD use the same HD "bug" for both HD and SD.

That is exactly what I was wondering. I saw the HD "bug" and that is why I am asking the question.

Now the news is over and Family Guy is on. Not an HD program and the HD logo is gone. There is no bragging soundwise that "we are HD" being said either.

This channel in HD is only available in HD to the NYC DMA so I think those HD people are the best to answer.

Thanks everyone.

No it's not 16x9 but neither are the other local HD newscasts that I get on their SD counterparts. WCBS, WNBC and WABC do local news in HD in New York City in glorious HD widescreen.

I was looking around and could not find the answer but thought someone here where it's available would know.

Thanks for the fast reponse anyway.

If it was not 16x9 then I bet Bob is onto it; the channel is obviously DT and the bug may stay on-screen depending on the programming. (LOL, or however he said it!)

Here is a listing of the programming in HD, no news listed at least not yet.
this is from WPIX web page, hopefully they just have not updated thier page yet.

Programs Available in Hi-Def

These primetime CW shows are available in high definition:

Aliens in America
Everybody Hates Chris
The Game
Girlfriends
Gossip Girl
Life is Wild
One Tree Hill
Reaper
Smallville
Supernatural
WWE Friday Night Smackdown

Jimbo

Thanks for that. There is my answer. OTA is out of the question for me as I am way too far up into the sticks for reception. I hope my provider (Dish) picks this up real soon. At least it looks poised to be turned on soon.

So they aren't letterboxing their SD channel for simulcast HD like virtually every other ? Wonder why?

In NYC ABC7, NBC4 and CBS2 have been doing HD local news for some time now. Nobody is letterboxing thier SD feeds on newscasts either so you just miss part of the picture if you don't get it in HD. It's nice to see CW11 added to this list.

New York's CW Switches to HD News
The station goes high-def with morning and evening news.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (May 1, 2008) -- WPIX-TV, the CW affiliate in New York City, is now airing local newscasts in High-Definition.

The station, which made the switch last week, is now broadcasting the CW11 News at Ten and CW11 Morning News programs in 1080i high-def.

The station says its new high-def studio includes new cameras and a new graphics system for weather and traffic.
“As the demand for HD content has increased among our audience, WPIX has continued to meet these needs. The addition of our HD newscasts is another important step in providing comprehensive high-efinition opportunities for our viewers” says WPIX Vice President and General Manager Betty Ellen Berlamino.

There are now more than 80 local stations broadcasting the news in high-def.

Is the New York locals conus including the WPIX HD which is CW is presume?

Cameron, I see by your sig that you are a Dish sub. WPIX is the CW Superstation but all NYC HD channels on Dish are now on spot beams. WPIX-DT (in HD) is available to D* subs in the NYC DMA so that is why I asked the question here.

Now that we have the answer, the Dish part this discussion should be continued in the Dish forum.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Cameron, I see by your sig that you are a Dish sub. WPIX is the CW Superstation but all NYC HD channels on Dish are now on spot beams. WPIX-DT (in HD) is available to D* subs in the NYC DMA so that is why I asked the question here.

Now that we have the answer, the Dish part this discussion should be continued in the Dish forum.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Well, the reason I'm asking here is because in a week or two I'm switching to DirecTV. Maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)