WPIX-HD: NY Mets vs Philadelphia Phillies 1PM EST

Sean Mota said:
The problem with 4-1 and WPIX in NYC is that they are at very low power. Depending on your location in NYC, it is quite possible not to receive them. WPIX is on a VHF band right now. The NYC combiner was supposed to be done this summer, but all these people are dragging their feet on this.

One suggestion is that you try (if you can) to re-aim the antenna just a little bit. I use a rotor here in the bronx and sometimes re-aiming the antenna gets me more power out of wpix or nbc.

I understand the low power thing and I've been hearing about this combiner thing for months (when it actually happens I'll believe it's real). But c'mon now. This is SUPPOSED to be an amplified antenna good for at least 25 miles. I'm literally about 3 miles away with direct, unobstructed line of site. See these two pictures:

http://www.panix.com/~nyjklein/Pictures/IMGP1047-640.jpg

http://www.panix.com/~nyjklein/Pictures/IMGP1048-640.jpg

BTW, what are reasonable levels for OTA signals on 5.68. Even on the stations I seem to get good reception I'm seeing about 35-40 for signal quality and around 70/21 for power/snr.

It's not as simple as that. Anyone would tell you that OTA is a miss or hit as there are a lot of variables that come into play. Visit AVSforum local HDTV forum to see if anyone there has any luck receiving those channels (in the same area).

Sean Mota said:
It's not as simple as that. Anyone would tell you that OTA is a miss or hit as there are a lot of variables that come into play. Visit AVSforum local HDTV forum to see if anyone there has any luck receiving those channels (in the same area).

I realize you're trying to be as helpful as possible and that OTA HD can be tricky, but unless there's some invisible force field in the middle of the Hudson River, I'm having trouble understanding why I get absolutely no sniff of WPIX and really weak, sensitive NBC unless it's an equipment problem.

Can you please post what kind of OTA signal levels are "normal" or at least what you're seeing on your IRD?

nyjklein said:
Can you please post what kind of OTA signal levels are "normal" or at least what you're seeing on your IRD?

I get between 95% to 98%. I live in the Bronx about 10 miles away with a clear shot of the ESB.

Added:

You are maybe right there's got to be something more. You have a clearer shot to the ESB than me.

Sean Mota said:
I get between 95% to 98%. I live in the Bronx about 10 miles away with a clear shot of the ESB.
You are maybe right there's got to be something more. You have a clearer shot to the ESB than me.

Well, I'm not clear where I go from here. On 5.68, even on the stations I seem to get good reception with (2-1, 5-1) I'm seeing about 35-40 for signal quality and around 70/21 for power/snr. If your 95 corresponds to my 40, something is really out-of-whack.

nyjklein said:
Well, I'm not clear where I go from here. On 5.68, even on the stations I seem to get good reception with (2-1, 5-1) I'm seeing about 35-40 for signal quality and around 70/21 for power/snr. If your 95 corresponds to my 40, something is really out-of-whack.

Yes, that is the case. my 95 to 98 corresponse to your 35-40. In my case, I am using my own antenna (Radio Shack VUX-90 or something like that). This is a monster antenna with a range of 65 miles (so this is why I am getting these numbers [maybe]). I have no diplexer and no amplification. You may want to experiment by using an antenna that does not uses any amplification or it needs the diplexer to draw its power. There's got to be something wrong because you are close enough without any obstruction.

Sean Mota said:
Yes, that is the case. my 95 to 98 corresponse to your 35-40.

Thanks. Well based on this I called VOOM and scheduled another appointment fro this Friday. The CSR said he would send the installer with an "upgraded" antenna. I tried telling him that since I was only three miles with clear LOS to the transmiiter (the ESB), I doubted I need a stronger antenna but if they would like to try that would be fine. I did get him to make sure they installer would also come with a spare, new IRD this time just in case.

When I got home tonight I decided to do an experiment. I disconnected the coax and removed the combiner from the back of the IRD. Then I ran a new coax directly from the antenna port to the antenna. Same results and signal strengths.

Next, I hooked up a REALLY OLD, REALLY CHEAP set of rabbit ears I had lying around. Amazingly, I now get all the channels I was getting plus 4-1 is stable and 11-1 is watchable! The signal level on 2-1 is now a bit higher, around 50.

So, either the Sensar II antenna is defective or it's not getting its power correctly. Isn't the antenna power supposed to come thru the combiner from the SAT port? Should I be able to measure the power with a multimeter?

nyjklein said:
Next, I hooked up a REALLY OLD, REALLY CHEAP set of rabbit ears I had lying around. Amazingly, I now get all the channels I was getting plus 4-1 is stable and 11-1 is watchable! The signal level on 2-1 is now a bit higher, around 50.

So, either the Sensar II antenna is defective or it's not getting its power correctly. Isn't the antenna power supposed to come thru the combiner from the SAT port? Should I be able to measure the power with a multimeter?

Now this is REALLY bizarre. I decided to see if I can measure the power at the coax feeding the antenna and indeed, I measure 11.9 V at the coax.

The BIZARRE part is I'm getting better reception WITHOUT THE ANTENNA. I just have the end of the coax pointed toward the ESB. I'm getting 4-1 just fine and the signal strength on the "good" stations is now about 50!

You maybe overshooting with too much power. Maybe the amplified antenna is a bad idea for your location and therefore is the reason you are getting everything with a not amplified rabbit ears antenna. Keep this in mind.

Sean Mota said:
You maybe overshooting with too much power. Maybe the amplified antenna is a bad idea for your location and therefore is the reason you are getting everything with a not amplified rabbit ears antenna. Keep this in mind.

I just think the antenna they installed is defective. If it were "overshooting" I would expect trouble with the stronger channels, instead I have trouble with the weaker channels. I get 4-1 without ANY antenna, but lose it when I attach the Sensar II.

I have a bit of a dilemma, I have an appointment with the installers for friday when they're supposed to bring an "upgraded" antenna. It's fairly clear that's not what I need. Should I just go out and buy my own Silver Sensor which is likely fine for my location?

nyjklein said:
I just think the antenna they installed is defective. If it were "overshooting" I would expect trouble with the stronger channels, instead I have trouble with the weaker channels. I get 4-1 without ANY antenna, but lose it when I attach the Sensar II.

I have a bit of a dilemma, I have an appointment with the installers for friday when they're supposed to bring an "upgraded" antenna. It's fairly clear that's not what I need. Should I just go out and buy my own Silver Sensor which is likely fine for my location?

A silver sensor is UHF only and will not pick up WPIX (right now on VHF band). I would let them do the upgrade. I think you are maybe right about the antenna being defective. I do not remember but RCN has an internal antenna that is both UHF and VHF.

Sean Mota said:
A silver sensor is UHF only and will not pick up WPIX (right now on VHF band). I would let them do the upgrade. I think you are maybe right about the antenna being defective. I do not remember but RCN has an internal antenna that is both UHF and VHF.

I've read in other fora that even though the Silver Sensor is UHF only, it's still farily good at picking up high VHF channels between 9 and 13.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the perplexed look on the installer's face when he sees I'm getting better reception with the coax disconnected from the antenna than I get with it attached.

Stealthtenna

Just to close this out. This time an installer who seemed to know what he was doing showed up. He replaced the Sensar II with an unpowered StealthTenna 3010 and I'm now getting 11-1 and 4-1 with acceptable signal levels. Still no 13-1, but I was not really expecting that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts